Re: [WarOf1812] punishments

  • Doc Walsh
    Message 1 of 7 , Apr 8, 2005
      superb thanx ray
      Doc
      ----- Original Message -----
      From: "ray hobbs" <ray.hobbs@...>
      To: <WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com>
      Sent: Friday, April 08, 2005 10:06 PM
      Subject: Re: [WarOf1812] punishments

      In "A Veteran of 1812" the piece of hagiography written by James
      Fittzgibbon's granddaughter, there is an Appendix II, which contains
      extracts from the returns of the 49th Regt. for six months from
      November 1810 to May 1811.
      It concerns lists of punishments for miscreant members of the Regiment.
      e.g.

      Loss of a frill - 100 lashes inflicted
      Loss of Razor and use of someone else's sentenced 200, inflicted - 100
      Loss of shirt - sentenced 200, inflicted - 75
      For improper possession of some peas and misuse of bedding - sentenced
      400, inflicted 250
      Defrauding regimental women of food - sentenced 150, inflicted 100
      Numerous references to drunkenness - between 150 and 200 lashes
      Absent from barracks after tap to - 300 sentenced, 250 inflicted.

      No reference to the maximum, or minimum.

      Ray Hobbs
      41st Regt

      On Friday, April 8, 2005, at 03:27 PM, Peter Monahan wrote:

      > Doc
      >
      > I have no books at work and no e-mail this week at home, but here goes
      > anyway:
      >
      > I have a list from a Parks Canada study of a regimental punishmnet
      > roll from here in Upper Canada (the 41st maybe?). I don't believe
      > there was an official minimum but in a list of 130 or so sentences in
      > 1812-13 the commonest low number is 30 - drunk, theft, etc.
      > I also believe that an "official" maximum of 300 had been legislated
      > before our period but that this was often exceeded in practice. For
      > the Navy, "flogging through the fleet" was essentially unlimited - X
      > lashes multiplied by the number of ships in an anchorage which could
      > concievably number upwards of 50!
      >
      > I'll check the source again a.s.a.p. and let you know for sure. In
      > the meantime, I'll bet somebody else will jump in and correct me. > :7)
      >
      > Peter Monahan, R Nfld. reg't
      > From: "Nick Doc Walsh" <docwaterloo@...>
      > Date: 2005/04/08 Fri PM 12:32:15 EST
      > To: WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com
      > Subject: [WarOf1812] purnishments
      >

      > hi everyone,
      > can anyone tell me what the minimum and the max lashes permitted in the
      > army and as comparison in the british navy the same request.
      > as i am trying to put together a info plaque for a repro flogging frame
      > used in the napoleonic period.
      > many thanx
      > Doc Walsh

      > THOUSANDS of square miles...

      > THOUSANDS of square miles...

      > ---------------------------------
      > Crown Forces Unit Listing:
      > http://1812crownforces.tripod.com
      >
      > American Forces Unit Lisiting
      > http://usforces1812.tripod.com

      <image.tiff>

      > Yahoo! Groups Links
      >
      > . To visit your group on the web, go to:
      >
      > . To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
      >
      > . Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to the Yahoo! Terms of Service.

      square miles...