NWCo. sutlers, peddlars and COA

  • lalozon
    Message 1 of 3 , Apr 7, 2005
      From: Murray McCombs macomb@...

      " I'm not exactly sure when the NWCo. coat of arms was created..."

      According to http://www.rootsweb.com/~qcmtl-w/GentlemenNW.html

      " ... An association ... was formed in 1784, and took the name
      of "The North-west Company of Montreal". ... When the North-West Company was
      organized, several of the retired officers of the 42nd and 78th Regiments
      joined it...."

      I haven't read all, the Coat of Arms may be mentioned .......

      Yrs.,

      L2
    • Angela Gottfred
      Message 2 of 3 , Apr 7, 2005
        >I'm not exactly sure when the NWCo. coat of arms was created. I'd make an
        >educated guess that it was during Samuel MacTavish's time, post 1796. What
        >would be the point after amalgamation?

        I'm not sure, exactly, why it waited until after amalgamation, but according to
        OFW historian Jean Morrison, "On the initiative of William and Simon
        McGillivray, the Company acquired a coat of arms in 1823, and in 1825 their
        family crest carried much of the same symbolism." (_Superior Rendezvous-Place_,
        p. 120) But they used their corporate flag (one version of which is shown on
        their coat of arms) long before that.

        > The Beaver Club in Montreal is the only NWCo. building that I'm aware of
        > there. I've never seen reference to public stores in Montreal.

        Neither have I. There was a NWC warehouse (still standing, I believe) in Old
        Montreal, as well as the warehouse on (today's) Lachine Canal. That building is
        now a national historic site dedicated to the fur trade
        (http://www.pc.gc.ca/lhn-nhs/qc/lachine/index_e.asp).

        > Up to 1796, the head office was in Detroit. At this location there was a
        > large storehouse and public store, as there would be at Fort William.

        Really? Could you give me more info about that, I've always been under the
        impression that they were based in Montreal (with offices in London and, no
        doubt, Detroit). But my research focuses more on their western operations, I
        have a lot to learn about the administration of the company.

        Your humble & obedient servant,
        Angela Gottfred