Re: [WarOf1812] RE: Pictures of 'ye olde signes'

  • loveland@execulink.com
    Message 1 of 5 , Apr 7 7:21 AM

      > Actually...they referred to them as "peddlers" because that's what they
      > were.
      > Sutlers are not the same thing.

      recycling a tidbit I found 4 years ago and posted to the list then... the
      archives are actually useful, what?

      here is a link to Chapter 19 of Hugo's Les Miserables, with an account,
      albeit fictional, of a sutler on the field after Waterloo.

      http://ucribm.ucr.edu/bookmgr-cgi/bookmgr.cmd/BOOKS/LESMS10/2.1.19?SHELF=gutnbrg\
      2

      Sutler {= a person who follows an army and sells provisions to soldiers
      - obsolete Dutch soeteler, now zoetalaar, equivalent to soetel(en) to do
      befouling work (akin to SOOT) + -er; Webster's Dictionary}

      No wonder being a sutler was thought of as befouling - although the
      things people will do for money should surprise no one, then or now...