Fireships and execution

  • PEGGY Mathews
    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 6 8:26 AM
      I was reading in "Life Before the Mast" edited by Jon Lewis recently. A
      gathering of primary accounts from participants in the wars at sea and on
      the lakes. In the chapter on Aix Roads in 1809 (forgive the out of exact
      period reference) William Richardson writes that men captured in the
      fireships used against the French stood to be executed, per the rules of
      war. Can anyone enlighten me further on the how comes and why fors of this
      practice? Made it sound truly international in scope and not at all unfair.

      (BTW, well worth the four or five USD I paid for it from Edward R. Hamilton
      booksellers IMHO.)

      Curious minds want to know.

      TIA,
      Michael Mathews

      "The opportunity for brotherhood presents itself every time you meet a human
      being." - Jane Wyman