Re: [WarOf1812] State Militia flags?

  • Ed Seufert
    Message 1 of 13 , Apr 5, 2005
      I've uploaded to the Yahoo group a picture of two flags, supposedly captured by the 85th at Bladensburg from militia units and currently residing in the Shropshire LI Regimental Museum.

      Ed Seufert, Cpl
      1812 Royal Marines
      From: "Howard Helmer" <hh23890@...>

      " ... The Virginia Militia lost a regimental flag at the Battle of Hampton
      ... This flag has a white field with the
      federal Eagle in the middle with a banner below denoting the regiment of
      militia.

      Possibly visit

      http://www.cottonbalers.lynchburg.net/OurFlags.htm

      This visual aid of a flag may help.

      I remember being told that some US Regt flags where gold, yellow or white
      silk.

      Yrs.,
      L2

      ---------------------------------
      Crown Forces Unit Listing:
      http://1812crownforces.tripod.com

      American Forces Unit Lisiting
      http://usforces1812.tripod.com

    • Kevin Windsor
      Message 2 of 13 , Apr 6, 2005
        Ed, anyway to make them bigger?? They're really tiny!

        > I've uploaded to the Yahoo group a picture of two flags, supposedly
        > captured by the 85th at Bladensburg from militia units and currently
        > residing in the Shropshire LI Regimental Museum.
        >
        > Ed Seufert, Cpl
        > 1812 Royal Marines
      • Brian Howard
        Message 3 of 13 , Apr 6, 2005
          Kevin,

          In the photos that Ed posted, it appears the left
          image is of the flag used by the James City Light
          Infantry of Virginia. There is a book, I believe
          titled "Flags from Around the World" that has a
          drawing of this same flag.

          We of the 2nd Virginia Regiment used that drawing as
          the model for our flag. I will upload an image of our
          flag so you can see it better. If Ed can enlarge the
          images he posted, that would be even better.

          Hope this helps.

          Brian Howard
          2nd Virginia Regiment, 1813-1815

          http://mail.yahoo.com
        • LCpl_RM@comcast.net
          Message 4 of 13 , Apr 6, 2005
            Kevin/Brian,

            By clicking on full size you can at least read the description. I will try to get a bigger image and repost.

            The interesting thing about the two flags is that neither unit is listed as having been at Bladensburg! As there were several other excursions, both in Maryland and Virginia where the Army was landed and was in combat, quite possibly the colours where taken at one of those.

            There is another picture of a militia flag (I believe 68th Regt) which was captured at Hampton. I'll try to find the story behind that one also.

            Ed Seufert, Cpl
            1812 Royal Marines

            http://mail.yahoo.com

            ---------------------------------
            Crown Forces Unit Listing:
            http://1812crownforces.tripod.com

            American Forces Unit Lisiting
            http://usforces1812.tripod.com

            Yahoo! Groups Links

            To visit your group on the web, go to:

          • Ed Seufert
            Message 5 of 13 , Apr 6, 2005
              Kevin/Brian,

              I tried uploading a bigger picture which was a .bmp but Yahoo would not accept it; only .jpg and .tif. I will try reformatting and send it again later.

              Meanwhile I also found the notes which accompanied the flag picture. Seems that the white flag is indeed that of the 68th (James City Light Infantry) which was more likely captured at Hampton instead of Bladensburg. The colour was captured by the 1st Batt Royal Marines and presented to Sir Sydney Beckwith. An additional colour of the 1st Batt, 85th (Virginia Militia) was apparently also presented. Both were then in turn given to Admiral Warren. The 68th flag somehow made its way to Chelsea and eventually to the Shropshire Museum.

              One of the things mentioned was the fact that Glieg (of the 85th) in his "Narratives" never mentions the fact that a colour was captured. Neither does the accompanying "Subaltern in America". But the "History of the Royal Marines Forces" does relate the above presentation!

              Does anyone know the American regiments present at Hampton in June 1813?

              Cheers,

              Ed Seufert, Cpl
              1812 Royal Marines

              http://mail.yahoo.com

              ---------------------------------
              Crown Forces Unit Listing:
              http://1812crownforces.tripod.com

              American Forces Unit Lisiting
              http://usforces1812.tripod.com

            • PETER CATLEY
              Message 6 of 13 , Apr 6, 2005
                Ed,

                Gleig may be the link through which the Colour went to
                the Hospital at Chelsea since he served there for many
                years.

                Cheers

                P**

                ---------------------------------

                wrote:
                > Ed, anyway to make them bigger?? They're really
                > tiny!

                protection around
                http://mail.yahoo.com

                The War of 1812: In Europe, thousands fought over
                the fate of hundreds of square miles: in North
                America, hundreds determined the fate of THOUSANDS of
                square miles...

                ---------------------------------
                Crown Forces Unit Listing:
                http://1812crownforces.tripod.com

                American Forces Unit Lisiting
                http://usforces1812.tripod.com

                c.. Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to the
                Yahoo! Terms of Service.

                The War of 1812: In Europe, thousands fought over the
                fate of hundreds of square miles: in North America,
                hundreds determined the fate of THOUSANDS of square
                miles...

                ---------------------------------
                Crown Forces Unit Listing:
                http://1812crownforces.tripod.com

                American Forces Unit Lisiting
                http://usforces1812.tripod.com

                Terms of Service.
              • PETER CATLEY
                Message 7 of 13 , Apr 7, 2005
                  Ed,

                  More information, perhaps more than you need!

                  This may well have been Rev. GR Gleig, Chaplin to the
                  Royal Hospital at Chelsea from 1834 until he resigned
                  in 1848. He died in 1888 aged 92 therefore born 1796.

                  Gleig had cerved in the Army before taking up the
                  ministry. He later was the Chaplin-General and wrote
                  extensively including Chelsea Pensioners, Chelsea
                  hospital and its Traditions and the Veterans of
                  Chelsea Hospital ~ If anyone has any of these in the
                  attic I 'd love to know:-)

                  Cheers

                  P**

                  ---------------------------------

                  Message 8 of 13 , Apr 7, 2005
                    Peter,

                    Thanks for the details.

                    According to the article that accompanied the pictures, the colours were identiied as being captured by the 85th sometime in the 1830's. In gives no indication (and there seems to be none) when they actually arrived at the hospital.

                    Warren upon receipt of the colours supposedly said that they should properly go back to the Royal Marines. Since the battalions after their brief stay in the Chesapeake in 1813 wound up in Canada and then were subsequently broken up, I would feel that they probably got shipped home with some of the wounded. The staffs of the two battalions wound up back in the Chesapeake late in 1814. Were Marines allowed at Chelsea or did they wind up at Greenwich?

                    Ed Seufert, Cpl
                    1812 Royal Marines

                    ---------------------------------

                    Message 9 of 13 , Apr 8, 2005
                      Ed,

                      I'm afraid I did not know where they retired the Royal
                      Marines to, certainly I've seen no reference in the
                      books on Chelsea but found this reference under our
                      Vetrens Agency web site;

                      The Royal Greenwich Hospital
                      The Royal Greenwich Hospital was founded by Queen
                      Mary, who in 1694 gave the royal estate at Greenwich
                      for a house for pensioned seamen and marines. The
                      foundation stone was laid in 1696 and the first
                      pensioners were admitted in 1705. In 1716 the
                      forfeited estates of Lord Derwentwater were added to
                      the hospital's endowments.

                      In addition to the in-pensioners, the hospital also
                      maintained out-pensioners and provided pensions and
                      allowances for widows and orphans of seamen and
                      marines. A school for the sons of seamen was attached
                      to the hospital and in 1939 it absorbed the Royal
                      Naval Asylum for the children of seamen.

                      It ceased to house in-pensioners in 1869 and in 1873
                      the building became the home of the Royal Naval
                      College; but the hospital continued to administer the
                      school, which moved to Holbrook in 1933, and continued
                      to provide out-pensions and allowances of various
                      kinds

                      During our period many "trophies" were sent to Chelsea
                      because there was no alternative repository for them.

                      It is why Chelsea has six French Eagles depite being
                      right next door to the National Army Museum.

                      Cheers now.

                      P**

                      ---------------------------------

                      ---------------------------------

                      wrote:
                      > Ed, anyway to make them bigger?? They're really
                      > tiny!

                      email
                      to:

                      c.. Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to the
                      Yahoo! Terms of Service.

                      removed]

                      The War of 1812: In Europe, thousands fought over
                      the
                      fate of hundreds of square miles: in North America,
                      hundreds determined the fate of THOUSANDS of square
                      miles...

                      ---------------------------------
                      Crown Forces Unit Listing:
                      http://1812crownforces.tripod.com

                      American Forces Unit Lisiting
                      http://usforces1812.tripod.com

                      Yahoo!
                      Terms of Service.

                      Message 10 of 13 , Apr 8, 2005
                        Ed,
                        I am working on the units that were at Hampton as I
                        type this. They were under the command of a Major
                        Stapleton Crutchfield of York county, Virginia. Need
                        to piece the units together in one list but it appears
                        Crutchfield's command was known as the 1st Virginia
                        Regiment and was considered part of the Norfolk
                        command under General Robert B. Taylor. Taylor's
                        headquarters just happened to be at Fort Norfolk.

                        More to follow.

                        Brian Howard
                        2nd Virginia Regt.

                        http://mail.yahoo.com