Re: [WarOf1812] Passports

  • Charles Redmond
    Message 1 of 23 , Apr 5, 2005
      Actually...

      In my poor, uneducated, misguided way I *DO*
      understand that passports vis. travel between the
      U.S.A. and Canada and re-enactors *IS* germane to this
      list...

      BUT...

      What has that to *do* with who or what has "won" the
      "war on terrorism"...

      AGAIN...

      1812

      PLEASE!!!

    • Mark Ibbotson
      Message 2 of 23 , Apr 6, 2005
        >> Until EVENTUALLY Berlin, Paris, Lisbon, Madrid, Rome or London is attacked...

        Was that a joke or a whim.

        Short sighted to say the least.

        Ibbo
        Sign-up for Ads Free at Mail.com
        http://promo.mail.com/adsfreejump.htm
      • Robert White
        Message 3 of 23 , Apr 6, 2005
          There is absolutely no wonder at all. I now stand in lines to get into official buildings. I have to empty my pockets and remove all metal, stand in lines to get on a plane to go through metal detectors standing in my socks so they can look at my shoes. Aboard Constitution, visitors and guests stand in line, get searched and have even the smallest pair of scissors or tiny little pocket knives confiscated for safety. I have a few questions about whay that may be necessary for a ship that could take 36 pound cannon balls of her sides. there is no question that if the terrorist intended to change the life style of the United States as a nation then they won. Bob White, Pvt. Marine Guard Constitution.

          glenn stott <gstott@...> wrote:Dear List,
          Isn't it interesting to observe as North America shuts down what with
          passports to go across our "undefended" borders, Europe both east and west
          have an open border policy without passports and even border crossing points
          with a few exceptions. I wonder who won the war on
          terrorism????!!!!!!!!!!!!

          Glenn Stott, Royal Scots

          ---------------------------------
          Crown Forces Unit Listing:
          http://1812crownforces.tripod.com

          American Forces Unit Lisiting
          http://usforces1812.tripod.com

        • craig w
          Message 4 of 23 , Apr 6, 2005
            Bob,

            If another point of view interests you I highly recommend the work of
            Gwynne Dyer who is a political analyst.

            http://www.gwynnedyer.net/

            Craig

            On Wednesday, April 6, 2005, at 01:33 PM, Robert White wrote:

            > there is no question that if the terrorist intended to change the
            > life style of the United States as a nation then they won. Bob White,
            > Pvt. Marine Guard Constitution.
          • corporal klinger
            Message 5 of 23 , Apr 9, 2005
              You or one of your loved ones be on a plane, train,
              ship, or bus when it is hijacked and blown up by
              terrorists and see if you change your opinion on this
              matter. I'll be happy to stand in line for a long time
              to ensure that everyone is safe. I'll agree it's time
              consuming and frustrating, to remove everything from
              your pockets, take of your shoes off etc. and that the
              terrorists have led us to this, but if you have a
              better idea on how to stop them then by all means let
              someone know!! I've defended my country, I know what
              it's all about and have an idea of what is needed for
              national security! As for the passports. Yeah it's
              going to be a change and probably a pain in the
              backside for a lot of people, but look at how many
              times some kind of suspected terrorist or criminal
              have crossed the border leading to nation wide search
              by the FBI or the RCMP. I'm all for it to make sure my
              family and friends remain safe!!

              Chris Winger
              Glengarry Light Infantry

              --- Robert White <whiteesq@...> wrote:
              > There is absolutely no wonder at all. I now stand
              > in lines to get into official buildings. I have to
              > empty my pockets and remove all metal, stand in
              > lines to get on a plane to go through metal
              > detectors standing in my socks so they can look at
              > my shoes. Aboard Constitution, visitors and guests
              > stand in line, get searched and have even the
              > smallest pair of scissors or tiny little pocket
              > knives confiscated for safety. I have a few
              > questions about whay that may be necessary for a
              > ship that could take 36 pound cannon balls of her
              > sides. there is no question that if the terrorist
              > intended to change the life style of the United
              > States as a nation then they won. Bob White, Pvt.
              > Marine Guard Constitution.
              >
              > glenn stott <gstott@...> wrote:Dear List,
              > Isn't it interesting to observe as North America
              > shuts down what with
              > passports to go across our "undefended" borders,
              > Europe both east and west
              > have an open border policy without passports and
              > even border crossing points
              > with a few exceptions. I wonder who won the war on
              > terrorism????!!!!!!!!!!!!
              >
              > Glenn Stott, Royal Scots

              > the fate of hundreds of square miles: in North
              > America, hundreds determined the fate of THOUSANDS
              > of square miles...

              > ---------------------------------
              > Crown Forces Unit Listing:
              > http://1812crownforces.tripod.com
              >
              > American Forces Unit Lisiting
              > http://usforces1812.tripod.com

              > Yahoo! Terms of Service.

              > removed]

              http://mail.yahoo.com
            • Robert White
              Message 6 of 23 , Apr 9, 2005
                I dropped this thread as it was off period and at the request of the moderator. However, thanks for defending your country. White, Robert R., Sgt. United States Marine Corps, 1961-1967 - Been there-Done that.
                corporal klinger <klinger93@...> wrote:You or one of your loved ones be on a plane, train,

                http://mail.yahoo.com

                ---------------------------------

                Message 7 of 23 , Apr 9, 2005
                  I respect everyones opinion and I was stating mine. As
                  I've had military service during the dealings with the
                  country of Iraq although it was prior to 911. United
                  States Marine Corps, 1993-2001.

                  http://mail.yahoo.com
                • Ray Hobbs
                  Message 8 of 23 , Feb 26, 2009
                    List, esp. Canadians:

                    All Canadians traveling to the US after June 1, 2009 will require an up
                    to date passport to cross the border into the US, whether traveling by
                    air, road or water.

                    Because the busiest crossings are in Ontario - the Ontario provincial
                    government is negotiating with the relevant authorities in the US for
                    the use of an "enhanced driver's license" for Ontario residents when
                    crossing into the US. This has not been finalized, although the
                    provincial Government has announced that these documents will be
                    available in the Spring.

                    To feed my paranoia, this is the first step toward an ID card because
                    the new licenses will contain far more information than the current
                    ones.

                    I can understand the increase in security, but one does get asked some
                    stupid questions. On my passport is my place of birth - Pontypridd,
                    Wales, UK. That was no problem. My passenger, after having presented
                    his necessary documentation, was asked to prove he was not British.
                    Since he and his wife's families are descendants of Loyalists, I guess
                    that fight is still going on.

                    Happy days
                    Yrs etc.
                    Ray
                    41st
                  • whittakermp
                    Message 9 of 23 , Feb 27, 2009
                      --- In WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com, Ray Hobbs <ray.hobbs@...> wrote:

                      > List, esp. Canadians:
                      >
                      > All Canadians traveling to the US after June 1, 2009 will require
                      an up
                      > to date passport to cross the border into the US, whether
                      traveling by
                      > air, road or water.

                      Years ago I had an elderly neighbour named Mary whose father was a
                      cavalry officer in Indian during the Raj. She came to Canada after
                      WWII. When asked while crossing into the US where she was born, she
                      always replied Northwest Frontier Province. That sufficed for many
                      years until someone on the US side, knowing there was no Canadian
                      jurisdiction of that name, observed so that's now part of Pakistan
                      and asked to see her passport.

                      Michael Whittaker
                    • Jim Hill
                      Message 10 of 23 , Feb 27, 2009
                        I find it interesting this thread bounces back a few years.
                        For the first time since the US Civil War you will need a passport to
                        enter the States from Canada, or a funky license, or a passport
                        card,or a NEXUS card or a CANPASS or something.
                        Perfectly reasonable, same level of conflict, and the war of terror
                        certainly eclipses the scale of the World Wars when Canada and the
                        United States were not allies through most of the First and much of
                        the Second. Thankfully this will allow us all to relax and focus on
                        the war on peanut butter, killer bees, bankers and the threat from
                        the People's Front of Judea, splitters!
                        (I have a passport, so I can leave Upper Canada West Ontario Province
                        to buy a six pack at Tops or go to the Anchor Bar for wings any time
                        I want.)
                        Do I sound bitter? Just a little. My work is dependent on tourism
                        dollars. We are about to celebrate 200 years of friendship by arming
                        the borders and limiting movement across the border due to the threat
                        from deadly shampoo bottles, toe nail clippers and based on questions
                        at the border - CITRUS GOODS!!! (Lemon juice in the eye - truly
                        terrifying.) What would Rush or Bagot or any of the lads at Ghent
                        have to say about us?
                        To end this rant completely off topic - Could someone contact the
                        Pakistani ISI and see if Bin Laden would like anything else handed to
                        him on a silver platter?
                        Thanks for your patience.

                        > --- In WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com, Ray Hobbs <ray.hobbs@> wrote:
                        > >
                        > > List, esp. Canadians:
                        > >
                        > > All Canadians traveling to the US after June 1, 2009 will require
                        > an up
                        > > to date passport to cross the border into the US, whether
                        > traveling by
                        > > air, road or water.
                        >

                        > Years ago I had an elderly neighbour named Mary whose father was a
                        > cavalry officer in Indian during the Raj. She came to Canada after
                        > WWII. When asked while crossing into the US where she was born, she
                        > always replied Northwest Frontier Province. That sufficed for many
                        > years until someone on the US side, knowing there was no Canadian
                        > jurisdiction of that name, observed so that's now part of Pakistan
                        > and asked to see her passport.
                        >
                        > Michael Whittaker

                      • Craig Williams
                        Message 11 of 23 , Feb 27, 2009
                          Jim...you forgot soft wood lumber.

                          Craig W

                          > Thankfully this will allow us all to relax and focus on
                          > the war on peanut butter, killer bees, bankers and the threat from
                          > the People's Front of Judea, splitters!

                        • HAROLD DENNISON
                          Message 12 of 23 , Feb 27, 2009
                            Jim, you forgot tooth paste.
                            I had mine removed (a nearly new tube I might add) by Homeland Security, nope not upon my arrival in the USA but rather while I was trying to depart from Nassau, Bahamas. It clearly wasn't so much that it was a threat to national security, they just didn't want me bringing down the plane with it.
                            Or worse yet high jacking it. Stand back or I'll......whiten your teeth???

                            Hal Dennison
                            1-800-385-9630
                            www.JustDreamLife.com

                            I teach people like "you" how to make six figure incomes working from home.

                          • mimathews@comcast.net
                            Message 13 of 23 , Feb 27, 2009
                              I understand making jokes because we're frustrated my friends, but the reality is that there are a lot of ways to do harm to others and while we rejoice in our long term friendship, others do not.  We're not dealing with people who share the same values system.  Heck, look at the recent threats of violence that accompanied a planned  reenactment !

                              It's such a remote chance you say, why bother?  Ever buy a lottery ticket with the comment, "it could happen"?  I accept the inconvenience and occasional frustration in light of the actual events this century here and abroad.  My asthma inhaler could contain a nerve gas instead.  Peg's epi pen for her severe allergies could have a poison injection inside.  But I have to check my pen knife.  Yep, strange times indeed.

                              Michael

                              We contend that for a nation to try to tax itself into prosperity is like a man standing in a bucket and trying to lift himself up by the handle. --Winston Churchill

                              I find it interesting this thread bounces back a few years.
                              For the first time since the US Civil War you will need a passport to
                              enter the States from Canada, or a funky license, or a passport
                              card,or a NEXUS card or a CANPASS or something.
                              Perfectly reasonable, same level of conflict, and the war of terror
                              certainly eclipses the scale of the World Wars when Canada and the
                              United States were not allies through most of the First and much of
                              the Second. Thankfully this will allow us all to relax and focus on
                              the war on peanut butter, killer bees, bankers and the threat from
                              the People's Front of Judea, splitters!
                              (I have a passport, so I can leave Upper Canada West Ontario Province
                              to buy a six pack at Tops or go to the Anchor Bar for wings any time
                              I want.)
                              Do I sound bitter? Just a little. My work is dependent on tourism
                              dollars. We are about to celebrate 200 years of friendship by arming
                              the borders and limiting movement across the border due to the threat
                              from deadly shampoo bottles, toe nail clippers and based on questions
                              at the border - CITRUS GOODS!!! (Lemon juice in the eye - truly
                              terrifying.) What would Rush or Bagot or any of the lads at Ghent
                              have to say about us?
                              To end this rant completely off topic - Could someone contact the
                              Pakistani ISI and see if Bin Laden would like anything else handed to
                              him on a silver platter?
                              Thanks for your patience.

                              > --- In WarOf1812@yahoogrou ps.com, Ray Hobbs <ray.hobbs@> wrote:
                              > >
                              > > List, esp. Canadians:
                              > >
                              > > All Canadians traveling to the US after June 1, 2009 will require
                              > an up
                              > > to date passport to cross the border into the US, whether
                              > traveling by
                              > > air, road or water.
                              >

                              > Years ago I had an elderly neighbour named Mary whose father was a
                              > cavalry officer in Indian during the Raj. She came to Canada after
                              > WWII. When asked while crossing into the US where she was born, she
                              > always replied Northwest Frontier Province. That sufficed for many
                              > years until someone on the US side, knowing there was no Canadian
                              > jurisdiction of that name, observed so that's now part of Pakistan
                              > and asked to see her passport.
                              >
                              > Michael Whittaker

                            • James Yaworsky
                              Message 14 of 23 , Feb 27, 2009
                                --- In WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com, mimathews@... wrote:

                                  My asthma inhaler could contain a nerve gas instead.  Peg's epi pen
                                for her severe allergies could have a poison injection inside.

                                wha' the... I'll never ride a plane feeling safe again, now. Thanks a
                                lot, Michael!!! ;>)

                                Talk about the times - one of my aunts married a US serviceman she met
                                at a USO dance in Detroit in WW2. He was from Cincinnati.

                                Believe it or not, he thought she was kidding when she said she had to
                                get home before a certain time that night, because of the border. He
                                didn't realize she was a Canadian, and he didn't know his base was so
                                close to the border! Up to that point, he hadn't actually had
                                occasion to see the river. Simpler times!

                                I might add that he was a very smart and with-it guy, they ended up
                                living in Warren Michigan and we saw a lot of them. He never totally
                                lived this first incident down - decades later, my cousins use to kid
                                him - "hey dad, now remember - we're visiting *Canada* right now!" etc
                                etc... He just grinned.

                                Jim Yaworsky
                              • peter monahan
                                Message 15 of 23 , Feb 27, 2009
                                  Of course there are people who worry about nerve gas, shoe bombs and so
                                  on, but clearly they are missing a key factoid. If you really want to
                                  be safe on a plane, bring YOUR OWN BOMB but DON'T DETONATE IT.

                                  Since the odds of there being two bombers on a single plane are
                                  considerably lower than your chance of winning the lottery or of GM
                                  showing a profit in 2009, you're safe as can be!
                                • Craig Williams
                                  Message 16 of 23 , Mar 2 3:31 AM
                                    Thank you Woody Allan

                                    CW
                                    On 27-Feb-09, at 8:38 PM, peter monahan wrote:

                                    > Of course there are people who worry about nerve gas, shoe bombs
                                    > and so
                                    > on, but clearly they are missing a key factoid. If you really want to
                                    > be safe on a plane, bring YOUR OWN BOMB but DON'T DETONATE IT.
                                    >
                                    > Since the odds of there being two bombers on a single plane are
                                    > considerably lower than your chance of winning the lottery or of GM
                                    > showing a profit in 2009, you're safe as can be!

                                  • ANDREW BATEMAN
                                    Message 17 of 23 , Mar 2 7:28 AM
                                      Indeed.  There's a corollary to Murphy's Law that says washing your car to make it rain doesn't work.  I think the same thing might apply to bringing your own bomb to avoid getting bombed....

                                      Andrew Bateman, 41st Reg't

                                      From: Craig Williams <sgtwarner@...>
                                      Subject: Re: 1812 Re: Passports - simpler times
                                      To: WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com