River raisin, Michigan

  • lalozon
    Message 1 of 6 , Apr 4, 2005
      From: "Thomas" <talleman1@...>

      " ... I went to the River Raisin battlefield in Monroe,MI and ... I was
      wondering if anyone has or would want to do an event there? ..."

      Thomas,

      I believe that this has an event every year.
      The email below was forwarded to WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com
      and should be in the archives

      Yrs
      L2

      ========

      Message 2 of 6 , Apr 10, 2005
        --- In WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com, "lalozon" <lalozon@n...> wrote:

> [...]
      • K. J. Lindsey
        Message 3 of 6 , Apr 12, 2005
          Hello all,
          Larry is quite right, the commemoration has taken place annually on the
          Saturday closest to the battle date for a number of years. I am a
          member of the 2nd Michigan Territorial Militia (LaCroix's Company)that
          support the battlefield center. We recently completed a film for the
          vistor center, an there is an upcoming "open house" on May 21 where
          18th and 19th military and civilian groups can set up displays and
          activites for the public. Featured will be the arrival of some students
          from Lawrence Tech University in a voyaguers canoe, who are on a 480
          mile trip from the Rouge River to Pittsburg Pa in commemoration of the
          F & I War. Ralph Naveaux is the director of the Monroe County Museum
          and our organizer and contact person.

          Kevin Lindsey
          Michigan

          Message 4 of 6 , Apr 12, 2005
            What time is this film being shown, I would like to ome out. I do
            hope the city has some sort of plan for all the land they aquired. A
            reconstruction of old frenchtown woudl be nice.

            thanks
            thomas

            --- In WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com, "K. J. Lindsey" <union47th@y...>
            wrote:

            > Hello all,
            > Larry is quite right, the commemoration has taken place annually on
            the
            > Saturday closest to the battle date for a number of years. I am a
            > member of the 2nd Michigan Territorial Militia (LaCroix's Company)
            that
            > support the battlefield center. We recently completed a film for
            the
            > vistor center, an there is an upcoming "open house" on May 21 where
            > 18th and 19th military and civilian groups can set up displays and
            > activites for the public. Featured will be the arrival of some
            students
            > from Lawrence Tech University in a voyaguers canoe, who are on a
            480
            > mile trip from the Rouge River to Pittsburg Pa in commemoration of
            the
            > F & I War. Ralph Naveaux is the director of the Monroe County
            Museum
            > and our organizer and contact person.
            >
            > Kevin Lindsey
            > Michigan

          • K. J. Lindsey
            Message 5 of 6 , Apr 12, 2005
              I dont know if there is any specific time its being shown. It was
              created for use with the visitor center. They had its premier in
              January at the Anniversary event. Unfortunately Michigan was hit by a
              winter snow storm that day and I was unable to go. They had a second
              showing of it a bit latter, but I had calendar conflict for that one.
              I am looking forward to seeing it when I get down there for the next
              event. I dont know if its going to be run everyday in the center or
              just for special events.
              I do not know what they have in mind in the long term after the "land
              swap" other then the preservation of a larger portion of the
              battlefield. I wold imagine in the short range it would be removal of
              the more modern buildings and then some archeology

              Kevin Lindsey