River raisin, Michigan

  • Thomas
    Message 1 of 6 , Apr 4, 2005
      Well I went to the River Raisin battlefield in Monroe,MI and is small
      but a pretty good museum. I know they just aquired alot of old
      frenchtown site, which wasa mill. I was wondering if anyone has or
      would want to do an event there? The battle was fought in January but
      maybe something. A battlefield is just a bunch of grass without
      someone doing something.

      thomas
    • lalozon
      Message 2 of 6 , Apr 4, 2005
        From: "Thomas" <talleman1@...>

        " ... I went to the River Raisin battlefield in Monroe,MI and ... I was
        wondering if anyone has or would want to do an event there? ..."

        Thomas,

        I believe that this has an event every year.
        The email below was forwarded to WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com
        and should be in the archives

        Yrs
        L2

        ========

        Message 3 of 6 , Apr 10, 2005
          --- In WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com, "lalozon" <lalozon@n...> wrote:

> [...]
        • K. J. Lindsey
          Message 4 of 6 , Apr 12, 2005
            Hello all,
            Larry is quite right, the commemoration has taken place annually on the
            Saturday closest to the battle date for a number of years. I am a
            member of the 2nd Michigan Territorial Militia (LaCroix's Company)that
            support the battlefield center. We recently completed a film for the
            vistor center, an there is an upcoming "open house" on May 21 where
            18th and 19th military and civilian groups can set up displays and
            activites for the public. Featured will be the arrival of some students
            from Lawrence Tech University in a voyaguers canoe, who are on a 480
            mile trip from the Rouge River to Pittsburg Pa in commemoration of the
            F & I War. Ralph Naveaux is the director of the Monroe County Museum
            and our organizer and contact person.

            Kevin Lindsey
            Michigan

            Message 5 of 6 , Apr 12, 2005
              What time is this film being shown, I would like to ome out. I do
              hope the city has some sort of plan for all the land they aquired. A
              reconstruction of old frenchtown woudl be nice.

              thanks
              thomas

              --- In WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com, "K. J. Lindsey" <union47th@y...>
              wrote:

              > Hello all,
              > Larry is quite right, the commemoration has taken place annually on
              the
              > Saturday closest to the battle date for a number of years. I am a
              > member of the 2nd Michigan Territorial Militia (LaCroix's Company)
              that
              > support the battlefield center. We recently completed a film for
              the
              > vistor center, an there is an upcoming "open house" on May 21 where
              > 18th and 19th military and civilian groups can set up displays and
              > activites for the public. Featured will be the arrival of some
              students
              > from Lawrence Tech University in a voyaguers canoe, who are on a
              480
              > mile trip from the Rouge River to Pittsburg Pa in commemoration of
              the
              > F & I War. Ralph Naveaux is the director of the Monroe County
              Museum
              > and our organizer and contact person.
              >
              > Kevin Lindsey
              > Michigan

            • K. J. Lindsey
              Message 6 of 6 , Apr 12, 2005
                I dont know if there is any specific time its being shown. It was
                created for use with the visitor center. They had its premier in
                January at the Anniversary event. Unfortunately Michigan was hit by a
                winter snow storm that day and I was unable to go. They had a second
                showing of it a bit latter, but I had calendar conflict for that one.
                I am looking forward to seeing it when I get down there for the next
                event. I dont know if its going to be run everyday in the center or
                just for special events.
                I do not know what they have in mind in the long term after the "land
                swap" other then the preservation of a larger portion of the
                battlefield. I wold imagine in the short range it would be removal of
                the more modern buildings and then some archeology

                Kevin Lindsey