Fw: The Royal Scots

  • Tom Ross
    Message 1 of 3 , Sep 5, 1999
      From: erickson@... <erickson@...>
      To: rosst@... <rosst@...>
      Date: Saturday, September 04, 1999 6:55 PM
      Subject: The Royal Scots

    • NINETY3RD@xxx.xxx
      Message 2 of 3 , Sep 5, 1999
        In a message dated 05/9/1999 5:47:04 AM, rosst@... writes:

        > I was told by a professor of mine
        >
        >>some time ago, that when Andrew Jackson was headed down to New Orleans
        >
        >>to fight the British or to at least protect our shores from invasion by
        >
        >>the British, that he was spied upon by a British spy by the name of
        >
        >>Clinton. Can you tell me if this is true?

        What does he mean by true?
        Can you define shores?
        The man never had espionage relations with Jackson.
        When the smoke from Jackson's camp blew his way, he never inhaled.
        ;-)
      • BritcomHMP@xxx.xxx
        Message 3 of 3 , Sep 5, 1999
          In a message dated 9/5/1999 7:46:57 AM Central Daylight Time, rosst@...
          writes:

          << I was told by a professor of mine
          >some time ago, that when Andrew Jackson was headed down to New Orleans
          >to fight the British or to at least protect our shores from invasion by
          >the British, that he was spied upon by a British spy by the name of
          >Clinton. Can you tell me if this is true? >>

          I doubt that this is true. Personally I have never heard a whisper of such
          stuff (not that THAT'S definitive) but how is this joker supposed to have
          followed Jackson around without being in the Army? I don't recall Jackson's
          horrendous forced marches to NO being accompanied by a great train of
          civvies! Also if he got any information how was he supposed to get it to the
          British who were raiding here and there and never had a fixed base in the US
          until N.O.?

          Capt. Nicholas RM. knocking about with various Indians is well documented as
          id Capt. Locker RN's visit to Jean Laffite so why no mention of this Clinton
          chap? Perhaps he got involved with a camp follower and never got out of
          Arkansas!