CD Reviews: Fort York "Commencement Duty" & Fort George "Now We Are Met"

  • Jim Yaworsky
    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 4, 1999
      From the July 41st Newsletter:
      6: CD Review:
      Both Fort York and Fort George have recently released CD's of music very appropriate to our impressions.

      The Fort York effort is titled "The Commencement of the Duty - Military Music of the War of 1812 From Fort York" and features a "typical day for the garrison" format: the music is set in an order illustrating various aspects of a soldier's routine, with a linked narration to set each piece in its context. In the narration, the 41st regiment has the honour of being the only regiment named. Yeah, big deal. But it doesn't change the fact "we" ARE the only regiment named (in a quote from Richardson as the Grenadiers marched in to freshly-surrendered Fort Detroit, August 16, 1812)!!! This is an excellent project and worth adding to your collection.

      The Fort George CD is titles "Now We Are Met - A Collection of Music Both Sacred and Profane" and adds a very civilian/off duty catalogue of numbers (34 titles are listed, the CD is well over an hour long). Some of the songs are sacred or "classical", some of the songs are profane, performed in a "tavern" setting, complete with floozies making comments, etc. Some of the numbers are definite "sing-around-the-camp-fire-when-half-loaded" material, and quite amusing. Much of the music on this CD is relatively unpolished compared to the Fort York CD: many songs are "merely" sung, without musical instrumental accompaniment. Also, some of the more "high-brow" church choir/classical aria music might be classified as "interesting, but not very "hummable"", making this CD perhaps slightly less of a "must have" than the Fort York CD. Overall, however, an excellent project and certainly worth adding to your collection.