Re: Are the NPS Rules Worth the Trouble?

  • David_Webb@pch.gc.ca
    Message 1 of 3 , Sep 3, 1999
      I am sorry to hear that there are so many difficulties between the NPS and
      reenactors. Perhaps part of the problem is with some sites and their historic
      weapons supervisors. I know that Gerry Altoff and all of the staff at Perry's
      Victory at Put-in-Bay have always been very reasonable, and indeed the very
      models of hospitality. Setting up meetings to clear the air with the sites that
      people wish to continue to support, might be an idea. It is also possible that
      widely reported incidents like the one involving the French cavalry guy at
      Gettysburg last year, have spooked senior management, and people are reacting to
      this.
      While hearing that Parks is nicer than the NPS flatters the smug Canadian
      inside me, I'm not sure that it is true in all cases. I know that there are
      Parks Canada event horror stories, and I am sure that Parks staff have horror
      stories about reenactors. Sorting out conflicting goals, clarifying
      expectations and ensuring ongoing communication are things that could help avoid
      and resolve problems. If you have a lousy time at a site, or there are problems,
      let them know. If you have questions about safety or other rules, raise the
      matter constructively. If you are being jerked around, excercise your other
      options.
      As far as earplugs go, we have worn the disposible foam kind while firing
      cannons in movies, and just daubed makeup on them. Louisbourg has some that you
      can hear people talk, and they just block really loud noises. They are not
      disposible, or inexpensive.
      The use of most safety items, such as flashguards, hammerstalls, artillery
      gloves and earplugs, is constantly questioned and debated. Some of the safety
      items could actually constitute safety hazards. If the person tending the vent
      on a cannon cannot hear that he or she has lost the seal, because they are
      wearing earplugs, and the person sponge/ramming is similarily equipped, then
      this is a real hazard. Every organization, or site has to make decisions, and
      these should be based on reliable information. These decisions should continue
      to be challenged, and those responsible should be asked to justify their rules
      in a logical manner. No one is perfect, and we need to listen to one another
      and learn from our experience. No individual or organisation has a monopoly on
      expertise or safety.
      --Dave Webb
    • Craig Williams
      Message 2 of 3 , Sep 3, 1999
        There are flesh-like coloured foam ear plugs available at some sporting
        stores and although the colour ain't perfect they are very hard to see from
        more than ten feet. And for the record I personally don't have a prblem
        wearing plugs to fire artillery.
> [...]
        vent
        >on a cannon cannot hear that he or she has lost the seal, because they are
        >wearing earplugs, and the person sponge/ramming is similarily equipped,
        then
        >this is a real hazard. Every organization, or site has to make decisions,
        and
        >these should be based on reliable information. These decisions should
        continue
        >to be challenged, and those responsible should be asked to justify their
        rules
        >in a logical manner. No one is perfect, and we need to listen to one
        another
        >and learn from our experience. No individual or organisation has a
        monopoly on
        >expertise or safety.
        >--Dave Webb

        >ONElist: your connection to online communities.

        square miles...