MagWeb

  • Al Amos
    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 17, 2005
      Al:

      Just posted some e-mail to the Lace Wars. Hope it gets through. If
      not,
      perhaps you could post the following:

      To all:

      As many of you noticed, MagWeb.com was pulled offline for maintenance
      this month. What started as a "simple" fix ended up cascading like
      dominos into more and more complex gyrations. Worse, our ISP (which
      hosts our Sun server) was sold at the end of last year and decided
      February was a great time to consolidate their facilities--including
      our
      Sun box. Since e-mails to MagWeb go through our server, with the
      server
      offline, e-mails bounced. Nice double-whammy!

      It's enough to make you scream...which we did on Valentine's Day...and
      threaten to rip our Sun server out of their data center and find
      another
      company...which we also later did. I understand other companies bailed
      on this ISP as well--and if they were treated as we were, I don't
      blame
      them. This is a nightmare for a small single-server company like us
      here
      at Coalition Web, Inc. (our official corporate name. The product name
      is
      MagWeb.com). So, we grabbed our server and moved it to another ISP.

      I understand delays and pressure--Google and E-Bay occasionally go
      off-line, too. The difference is that they have more time, money, and
      clout than MagWeb.

      I apologize for the inconvenience. This put a wrinkle in our own
      efforts
      to keep up a pace posting 25-issue-per-month plus ME-Books. MagWeb
      didn't "lose" content--we're an archive, so it's all there--but we
      lost
      time and took a bloody tech-nose in the process.

      I would like to thank all of you--including members from Europe--who
      phoned to inquire and offer words of encouragement and understanding.
      We're investigating a number of alternatives for the future.

      We're working on being back on-line. Much of it is in the hands of the
      new company's techies. In the meantime, we'll have plenty of new
      issues
      available, including 7YW, Courier, El Dorado, and others. They're all
      finished and sitting in our production machine waiting for the server
      be put on line.

      Please feel free to pass this message along to any other groups or
      folks
      who may have a question about MagWeb.com. Or, you can e-mail me direct
      at lockwood@....

      Thank you.

      Russ

      Russ Lockwood, CEO
      MagWeb.com
      On-line archive of military history and related magazines on the web
      since 1996