New NPS Regs

  • Easeufe@xxx.xxx
    Message 1 of 11 , Sep 2, 1999
      Thanks to Dave Webb for sharing your experiences with Parks Canada rules and
      his insight into the whys and wherefores. (BTW, Fort McHenry does not have
      opposing forces and the firing demos are done on a field next to the
      waterfront.)

      I agree with Steve Abolt that the choice of wearing ear-plugs should be a
      personal decision and not mandated and have written a letter to that effect
      to Fort McHenry. The members of my unit have agreed with my response and
      support it.

      As I stated in my letter to the Fort, I have never worn ear-plugs in my 25
      years of re-enacting. I do have a slight loss of hearing in my left ear but
      that could have just as easily been attributed to running around the country
      to re-enactments with my driver's side window down and having a steady stream
      of air/noise blowing into it. I have served in the ranks and on artillery.
      As far as I'm concerned, the most dangerous firing is that which is done over
      your body when you're re-enacting the dead and wounded.

      Yes, Steve, you are correct that we must abide by the rules set forth by the
      site if we are to continue to play there. I also agree with Dave that it is
      the sites that we support and who likewise support us that allow us to keep
      on re-enacting. Since our entry into the War of 1812 scene, several Maryland
      State Parks and County/Private sites have opened theirs gates and coffers to
      embrace this period. In several cases, they turn to us for recommendations
      on how to conduct the event and rely on us for our own and the site's safety
      rules. We must always conduct ourselves as employees of the site and make
      the safety of the public our paramount concern. At times, re-enacting and
      authenticity must give way to the public welfare.

      It's interesting that the NPS has brought this to our attention just 2 weeks
      before the event. We had participated in another NPS event in southern
      Maryland which highlighted multi-period warfare in that part of the state.
      This was just 3 weeks ago and the non-wearing of ear-plugs was not an issue.
      We were surprised though when the NPS Black Powder Safety Officer (SO) took a
      list of our names, SSNs and the serial numbers of our muskets. The firing
      demo had to be done in an approximate 5x5 foot area; however, two ACW
      soldiers couldn't fire due to the SO not being trained in rifled weapons and
      two Ft. McHenry Guard soldiers cited rules for why they couldn't fire.

      To clarify what happened at Bladensburg, we had an officers meeting at noon
      to discuss the battle re-enactment for later that day. The Guard announced
      that they couldn't fire but would play the part of retreating militia; at
      3:00, they announced they wouldn't participate at all citing NPS rules.

      Ed Seufert
      Royal Marines
    • Roger Fuller
      Message 2 of 11 , Sep 3, 1999
        From: Easeufe@... <Easeufe@...>
        To: warof1812@onelist.com <warof1812@onelist.com>
        Date: 03 September 1999 00:37
        Subject: [WarOf1812] New NPS Regs

        >From: Easeufe@...

        (snip)
        >This was just 3 weeks ago and the non-wearing of ear-plugs was not an
        issue.
        >We were surprised though when the NPS Black Powder Safety Officer (SO) took
        >list of our names, SSNs and the serial numbers of our muskets

        (snip)

        >Ed Seufert
        >Royal Marines

        I'd like to know what branch of the Internal Revenue Service or Social
        Security Administration this NPS BPSO thought he was also employed
        by...those are the ONLY two Federal agencies that would legally have any
        right to demand your social security number. Insurers do NOT need to have
        your SS#, no matter how much they may whine and complain. Same with state,
        county and federal law enforcement or motor vehicle departments. They may
        ask you, but you don't have to give it to them.

        Next time ask him what law permits him to ask such a sensitive question. SS#
        misuse is rampant- don't let anybody know it who is not involved with your
        taxes, paychecks, or retirement funds. It's the law!

        Better yet, don't even play along- just walk away. That's the loudest
        protest one can make, besides contacting your senators and representatives.
        These events sound as if they are potentially more trouble than they are
        worth. Even up here in Massachusetts, the NPS -so far- haven't pulled
        anything like this.

        Roger Fuller
        3/95th (Rifles)