Re: New NPS Regs

  • Pudding Boy
    Message 1 of 11 , Sep 2 3:24 PM
      Some years ago I had a set of custom fitted ear plugs made for me out of a
      flesh colored silicone like substance. They aren't so farby looking and
      they fit perfectly. Biggest advantage is that they actually work better
      than the one size fits all foam cylinders. They were called the peacekeeper
      and were produced at that time by Marion Safety. I have no idea if they are
      still available or if the company is still in business but it is a great
      product. AND not very noticable at 20 paces.

      Dave Hinkley

      Message 2 of 11 , Sep 2 9:37 PM
        Thanks to Dave Webb for sharing your experiences with Parks Canada rules and
        his insight into the whys and wherefores. (BTW, Fort McHenry does not have
        opposing forces and the firing demos are done on a field next to the
        waterfront.)

        I agree with Steve Abolt that the choice of wearing ear-plugs should be a
        personal decision and not mandated and have written a letter to that effect
        to Fort McHenry. The members of my unit have agreed with my response and
        support it.

        As I stated in my letter to the Fort, I have never worn ear-plugs in my 25
        years of re-enacting. I do have a slight loss of hearing in my left ear but
        that could have just as easily been attributed to running around the country
        to re-enactments with my driver's side window down and having a steady stream
        of air/noise blowing into it. I have served in the ranks and on artillery.
        As far as I'm concerned, the most dangerous firing is that which is done over
        your body when you're re-enacting the dead and wounded.

        Yes, Steve, you are correct that we must abide by the rules set forth by the
        site if we are to continue to play there. I also agree with Dave that it is
        the sites that we support and who likewise support us that allow us to keep
        on re-enacting. Since our entry into the War of 1812 scene, several Maryland
        State Parks and County/Private sites have opened theirs gates and coffers to
        embrace this period. In several cases, they turn to us for recommendations
        on how to conduct the event and rely on us for our own and the site's safety
        rules. We must always conduct ourselves as employees of the site and make
        the safety of the public our paramount concern. At times, re-enacting and
        authenticity must give way to the public welfare.

        It's interesting that the NPS has brought this to our attention just 2 weeks
        before the event. We had participated in another NPS event in southern
        Maryland which highlighted multi-period warfare in that part of the state.
        This was just 3 weeks ago and the non-wearing of ear-plugs was not an issue.
        We were surprised though when the NPS Black Powder Safety Officer (SO) took a
        list of our names, SSNs and the serial numbers of our muskets. The firing
        demo had to be done in an approximate 5x5 foot area; however, two ACW
        soldiers couldn't fire due to the SO not being trained in rifled weapons and
        two Ft. McHenry Guard soldiers cited rules for why they couldn't fire.

        To clarify what happened at Bladensburg, we had an officers meeting at noon
        to discuss the battle re-enactment for later that day. The Guard announced
        that they couldn't fire but would play the part of retreating militia; at
        3:00, they announced they wouldn't participate at all citing NPS rules.

        Ed Seufert
        Royal Marines
      • Roger Fuller
        Message 3 of 11 , Sep 3 5:22 AM