Siege of Fort Erie

  • Jim Hill
    Message 1 of 14 , Feb 9, 2005
      Hello Folks

      We are preparing for the 2005 season at Old Fort Erie.

      Before we post registration information on-line or send it in the
      mail, we are looking for any suggestions, comments or questions that
      could be addressed.

      Thanks

      Jim Hill
      jhill@...
      905 871-0540
    • Jim Hill
      Message 2 of 14 , Jun 27, 2005
        Hello Musicians and Music Fans

        The Niagara Symphony will be performing on the Friday Night of the
        Siege at 7pm. Presently, admission to the concert is free to
        reenactors in period kit (early 21st century lounge wear not included)

        The symphony is interested in communicating with musicians who play
        military and non-military music of the late 18th and early 19th
        centuries. They are very keen to work with musicians from the 1812
        community. If you are interested, contact info@...

        As an aside, last year the staff of Fort Erie gave an award for the
        best hit on the field. It was completely subjective and totally
        biased. However, I would point out, that our Fenian friends (Civil War
        folks) will suffer 400% casualties in a 10 minute skirmish.
        As I told a member of the 25th US at Stoney Creek, it's like NASCAR; no
        one is here to watch cars go in a circle. Members of the 11th US (Fort
        Erie staff and volunteers) were all wounded multiple times at Stoney.
        Multiple hits are historically accurate and we are portraying battles
        that involved massive casualties for both sides.

        So, those of you who are thinking - drop dead you idiot; thanks I will,
        probably a few times at Fort George.

        Discussion? Idea? Suggestions?

        If you have any questions about the August 6&7 Siege. Drop a line to
        jhill@....

        See you this summer
        Jim Hill
      • glifencible
        Message 3 of 14 , Jun 27, 2005
          > Discussion? Idea? Suggestions?

          Long grass makes for more discreet recycling.
        • Kevin Windsor
          Message 4 of 14 , Jun 27, 2005
            Damn, I have to leave the powder blue (or would that be Prussian blue)
            tuxedo at home! What's a officer to do? Oh my the fashion dilemas!!

            Kevin
            89th Reg't

            Message 5 of 14 , Aug 8, 2006
              Hello Folks

              A couple of answers to a couple of questions.

              -We supply breakfast Saturday and Sunday mornings.

              -You can come before Friday, there are no amenities other than the
              public washrooms will be available.

              -We follow Parks Canada historic weapons standards for our events.

              - If you are looking for information about the siege: go to
              www.oldforterie.com and you will find a public schedule for the
              event.

              For reenactors - click on 'Siege of Fort Erie Participant
              Registration' and at the bottom of the form is 'Download Rules and
              Regulations'. There you will find our 'Participant Guidelines', the
              invitation letter and our Black Powder Rules. We keep the 'Rules
              and Regs' sort of hidden because it freaks out the public who think
              it applies to them - "does my entire family require ear plugs and
              what is a frizzen cover and where can I buy one" (sorry we did not
              recommend a sutler or merchant)\

              - We DO NOT require a registration from every individual. We ask a
              unit commander or unit representative to give us numbers. If you do
              not belong to a unit, you ARE the unit commander and therefore you
              should put your name in the line for unit commander/safety officer
              and you should provide insurance for you and your family. If you do
              not belong to a unit and you do not have insurance you should
              consider joining a unit for group coverage or you should get some
              insurance - it's relatively cheap. If you are adding you and/or
              your family to an existing registration simply indicate that on the
              form - there is room to write quite a bit and we usually read them
              and we will staple your addition to the unit registration. (Some of
              you have very responsible commanders and they send us updates and
              indicate they are updated regsitrations on the form.)

              - UPON arrival at Old Fort Erie, we require every adult to fill out
              a Release Form. For under-age children, we ask their names be
              listed with the parents' names.

              - Once again, there is a free concert in the Fort starting at 7:30
              pm on Friday August 11th.

              - Saturday night last year - the veteran staff, veteran visitors and
              veteran reenactors all indicated that the candle light tour rocked.
              The artillery, the drummer, the musket fire from the walls and
              loopholes - the surgery. This is how we pay for this event and last
              year was a great success thanks to the folks who helped out. We
              will once again, provide powder and bottled water during the tours
              to those who help with the candle light tours.

              - Peter Martin is now the Manager of Old Fort Erie and he is the go-
              to-guy for the siege. I will be skulking about and annoying the
              staff. See you there.

              Jim Hill
            • Jim Hill
              Message 6 of 14 , Aug 15, 2006
                Thanks to everyone who participated in the 20th annual Siege of Fort
                Erie.

                Just like the first event, this is your show and hopefully we
                provide the real estate and services to help it along. We know that
                firewood was in demand with cooler temperatures and believe it or
                not we acquired two more cords. The porta-johns were regularly
                stirred by senior staff and finally cleaned early Sunday morning.

                Thanks for the concern about the fire started by the pyrotechnics
                but there is an advantage to stone bastions.

                We hope to find a better set up for the merchants as there is no
                more room along the 'row', their patience and teamwork is impressive.

                Thanks to Doug and Richard for camp lay outs. Thanks to Rob and
                Craig for some impressive engagements.

                All those who helped with the lantern tour, absolutely brilliant.
                Special thanks to: 19th US, 2nd US Arty, 17th US, Glengarries, 1st
                Foot, 41st Foot, IMUC. The crew in and around the surgery -
                fantastic. Sorry if there was confusion over musket ammo - we were
                overwhelmed with the response.

                A thank you to our friends from Malden, George, Meigs and Niagara
                and in particular to the volunteers from York. It's an honour to
                have our neighbouring forts in attendance.

                A big thank you to our American friends and the extra effort they
                make crossing the border; the line up at the Peace Bridge looked
                bloody awful on Sunday afternoon, hope it went well.

                Some excellent suggestions came out of the event and if there are
                more, please pass them along to: pemartin@...

                August 11th and 12th, 2007 will be number 21, please mark it on your
                calendar.

                From: Peter Martin, Sam Stark, Violet Robbins, Melissa Daudelin

                and we should mention Chris Vassallo and Jim Hill
              • Jim Hill
                Message 7 of 14 , Aug 20, 2007
                  Hello All

                  From everyone at Old Fort Erie - Thank you for the hard work and
                  support over the siege weekend.

                  Please put AUGUST 9TH & 10TH, 2008 on your calendar for the 22nd
                  Annual Blow Out. We will also be hosting a Fenian Raid Event on JUNE
                  14TH & 15th, 2008.

                  We are also looking for unit registrations or unit updates for the
                  195th of Queenston Heights 'Forget the Tent Event' on OCTOBER 13TH,
                  2007. Information and registration is available at the
                  www.visit1812.com/events/NewsandEvents. Unit commanders should read
                  the information before registering and individual registrations are
                  NOT required. Pack light as we are attempting to find accommodations
                  for everyone in the historic sites of the area. If you have
                  questions about Queenston, please contact Jim Hill
                  jhill@....

                  This year, Fort Erie had another increase in reenactor participants
                  and visitors. A huge thank you to those dedicated folks who assisted
                  with the candle light tours. A record number of people lined up and
                  we had a record number of positive comments from visitors.
                  Congratulations to the award winners on Sunday and we hope everyone
                  had a safe trip home.

                  Thanks again
                  Peter Martin
                • D & M Zorniak
                  Message 8 of 14 , Aug 21, 2007
                    To All:

                    The Western contingent has made it back to Winnipegt and have wonderful
                    memories once again of a terrific event.

                    Don and I, our son Jeremy and his girl Darcie wish to thank everyone who
                    made this event as memorable as ever.

                    Jeremy's last time to Fort Erie was in '93 where he was too young to carry a
                    musket, that was in the earlier years of the event. He came away this year
                    with a huge smile on his face and said that it was like being a part of
                    history. Darcie was amazed of what it looked like, felt like, sounded like -
                    it was a total experience for her.

                    We would like to thank our home away from home - the 41st, and to everyone
                    else who kindly offered to adopt us for the event.

                    To good friends, a great event and a year of memories until the next one!

                    Your humble and sometimes obedient servant

                    Marie

                  • Ray Hobbs
                    Message 9 of 14 , Aug 27, 2007
                      Hello Jim:
                      I do not know if anyone else has had this problem, but the URL listed
                      for registration for Oct. 13th cannot be found. That is the message I
                      receive when I try to get to it.
                      Ray H
                      41st

                      On 20-Aug-07, at 5:01 PM, Jim Hill wrote:

                      > Hello All
                      >
                      > From everyone at Old Fort Erie - Thank you for the hard work and
                      > support over the siege weekend.
                      >
                      > Please put AUGUST 9TH & 10TH, 2008 on your calendar for the 22nd
                      > Annual Blow Out. We will also be hosting a Fenian Raid Event on JUNE
                      > 14TH & 15th, 2008.
                      >
                      > We are also looking for unit registrations or unit updates for the
                      > 195th of Queenston Heights 'Forget the Tent Event' on OCTOBER 13TH,
                      > 2007. Information and registration is available at the
                      > www.visit1812.com/events/NewsandEvents. Unit commanders should read
                      > the information before registering and individual registrations are
                      > NOT required. Pack light as we are attempting to find accommodations
                      > for everyone in the historic sites of the area. If you have
                      > questions about Queenston, please contact Jim Hill
                      > jhill@....
                      >
                      > This year, Fort Erie had another increase in reenactor participants
                      > and visitors. A huge thank you to those dedicated folks who assisted
                      > with the candle light tours. A record number of people lined up and
                      > we had a record number of positive comments from visitors.
                      > Congratulations to the award winners on Sunday and we hope everyone
                      > had a safe trip home.
                      >
                      > Thanks again
                      > Peter Martin

                    • Kevin Windsor
                      Message 10 of 14 , Aug 27, 2007
                        Yup that is the wrong url.

                        Hard copy here

                        http://www.visit1812.com/files/Queenston-Heights-2007.pdf

                        online here

                        http://www.visit1812.com/events/queenston-registration.html

                        KW/89

                        _____

                        Message 11 of 14 , Sep 3, 2007
                          Hi Ray

                          I don't know if you know me, I am Jim Hill's Assistant, you already
                          let us know that your unit is coming to Queenston. I've emailed your
                          registration form and confirmation number to you. We have a spot
                          saved for the 41st, and are looking forward to seeing you there.

                          Vicki
                          Heritage Dept,
                          Niagara Parks Commission

                          --- In WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com, Ray Hobbs <ray.hobbs@...> wrote:

                          > Hello Jim:
                          > I do not know if anyone else has had this problem, but the URL
                          listed
                          > for registration for Oct. 13th cannot be found. That is the message
                          > receive when I try to get to it.
                          > Ray H
                          > 41st
                          >
                          > On 20-Aug-07, at 5:01 PM, Jim Hill wrote:
                          >
                          > > Hello All
                          > >
                          > > From everyone at Old Fort Erie - Thank you for the hard work and
                          > > support over the siege weekend.
                          > >
                          > > Please put AUGUST 9TH & 10TH, 2008 on your calendar for the 22nd
                          > > Annual Blow Out. We will also be hosting a Fenian Raid Event on
                          JUNE
                          > > 14TH & 15th, 2008.
                          > >
                          > > We are also looking for unit registrations or unit updates for
                          the
                          > > 195th of Queenston Heights 'Forget the Tent Event' on OCTOBER
                          13TH,
                          > > 2007. Information and registration is available at the
                          > > www.visit1812.com/events/NewsandEvents. Unit commanders should
                          read
                          > > the information before registering and individual registrations
                          are
                          > > NOT required. Pack light as we are attempting to find
                          accommodations
                          > > for everyone in the historic sites of the area. If you have
                          > > questions about Queenston, please contact Jim Hill
                          > > jhill@...
                          > >
                          > > This year, Fort Erie had another increase in reenactor
                          participants
                          > > and visitors. A huge thank you to those dedicated folks who
                          assisted
                          > > with the candle light tours. A record number of people lined up
                          and
                          > > we had a record number of positive comments from visitors.
                          > > Congratulations to the award winners on Sunday and we hope
                          everyone
                          > > had a safe trip home.
                          > >
                          > > Thanks again
                          > > Peter Martin

                        • hpgorman
                          Message 12 of 14 , Aug 12, 2010
                            Hello to all of our WONDERFUL volunteers, reenactors and merchants and sutlers!!

                            I'd like to send out our heartfelt THANKS to all of you who came and made our event a huge success this year! Special thanks to Sioux Spencer, Craig Williams and Richard Feltoe for setting up our camps, and to Peter Twist for helping with our WNED people! I'd also like to send out special thanks to all of you on the line who did not shoot the WNED people, especially when they made themselves the perfect targets!!! Thank you also to the 41st who allowed us to blow you up this year!

                            Looking forward to seeing you all again next year with out BRAND NEW VISITOR CENTRE!!
                            Thanks again!
                            Heather Gorman
                            Manager: Old Fort Erie
                            hgorman@...
                          • a10rca
                            Message 13 of 14 , Jul 17, 2014

                              Hello Folks

                              We are now approaching 800 registered participants at Old Fort Erie on August 9th and 10th.

                              If your unit is not registered, please go to www.oldforterie.com

                              We would once again ask people to limit canvas as space fills up.   This does not mean you have to sleep in your car or under a blanket on the cold, hard ground.

                              Hope to see everyone July 25th or at Old Fort Erie in August.

                              Jim

                            • a10rca
                              Message 14 of 14 , Jul 18, 2014

                                Well, now it's getting closer to 900.

                                Tonight we are commemorating the burning of the village of St David's.