Re: New NPS Regs

  • BritcomHMP@xxx.xxx
    Message 1 of 11 , Sep 1, 1999
      In a message dated 8/31/1999 10:27:02 PM Central Daylight Time,
      Easeufe@... writes:

      << I've just received a letter from the NPS on safety regulations to be
      followed
      at Fort McHenry for the weekend of the 10-12th. It seems that the NPS has
      just passed a new rule that persons performing firing demos on park property
      are now required to wear ear-plugs which will be supplied by the NPS.

      Does this sound re-enactor friendly? :-( Any comments??

      I am waiting for the day when they ban firing all together and tell everyone
      to shout 'BANG'.

      Re-enactment never was, is not and never will be 100% safe. These 'sticking
      plasters' stuck over it to make it so are at best futile, and at worst give a
      false sense of security.

      I am not saying that if an individual wants to use them they should not be
      able to, but 'Nanny Government' should realise that we are perfectly capable
      of wiping our own backsides.

    • SACBG7@aol.com
      Message 2 of 11 , Sep 2, 1999
        Dear Onelist,
        I have the honor of commanding at Ft. McHenry next weekend. I too noticed the ear plug mention in my packet. While not exactly thrilled I can understand their point. I also see the worth of what was brought up not just by Benton, but by Tim, and many others of you.

        While we may not like orange or yellow foam protruding from our ears (or even parsnips) it remains that we are guests on another site's property having two choices--play by their rules or don't attend.

        I too have lost some hearing over the years due to gunfire, explosions, and even theatrical work, (another story.) At times I do choose to wear them. At others not. But the choice is mine. If something happens then I and I alone must bear responsibility. Tim is right. This can be and sometimes is a dangerous hobby. While I respect the Park's concerns, and will be sure my people follow them, I would much rather have been given a choice. If the choice is offered and something happens by your declining to wear them the responsibility must lie with you and you alone. We can't legislate responsibility, nor can we make others responsible for choices we make.

        I understand the NPS's concern. Having personally seen some things on NPS and State property done by reenactors I can well percieve the reason for their concern. One sorry by-product of this is the mistrust which still seems to fester between those entrusted with an historical site's care and those who want to help interpret it.

        Given a choice I probably wouldn't wear them. Since it is their sandbox and I am their guest, I'll play by their rules. I guess it is a shame when we must have laws for everything, including what should be our own responsibility. Any other viewpoints?
        Thanks. Hope to see many of you next weekend.
        Sincerely,
        Steve Abolt
        7th USILHA
        www.cottonbalers.lynchburg.net
      • Pudding Boy
        Message 3 of 11 , Sep 2, 1999
          Some years ago I had a set of custom fitted ear plugs made for me out of a
          flesh colored silicone like substance. They aren't so farby looking and
          they fit perfectly. Biggest advantage is that they actually work better
          than the one size fits all foam cylinders. They were called the peacekeeper
          and were produced at that time by Marion Safety. I have no idea if they are
          still available or if the company is still in business but it is a great
          product. AND not very noticable at 20 paces.

          Dave Hinkley

          >I have the honor of commanding at Ft. McHenry next weekend. I too noticed
          the ear plug mention in my packet. While not exactly thrilled I can
          understand their point. I also see the worth of what was brought up not just
          by Benton, but by Tim, and many others of you.

          > While we may not like orange or yellow foam protruding from our ears (or
          even parsnips) it remains that we are guests on another site's property
          having two choices--play by their rules or don't attend.

          >I too have lost some hearing over the years due to gunfire, explosions, and
          even theatrical work, (another story.) At times I do choose to wear them.
          At others not. But the choice is mine. If something happens then I and I
          alone must bear responsibility. Tim is right. This can be and sometimes is
          a dangerous hobby. While I respect the Park's concerns, and will be sure my
          people follow them, I would much rather have been given a choice. If the
          choice is offered and something happens by your declining to wear them the
          responsibility must lie with you and you alone. We can't legislate
          responsibility, nor can we make others responsible for choices we make.

          >I understand the NPS's concern. Having personally seen some things on NPS
          and State property done by reenactors I can well percieve the reason for
          their concern. One sorry by-product of this is the mistrust which still
          seems to fester between those entrusted with an historical site's care and
          those who want to help interpret it.

          >Given a choice I probably wouldn't wear them. Since it is their sandbox
          and I am their guest, I'll play by their rules. I guess it is a shame when
          we must have laws for everything, including what should be our own
          responsibility. Any other viewpoints?
          >Thanks. Hope to see many of you next weekend.
          >Sincerely,
          >Steve Abolt
          >7th USILHA
          >www.cottonbalers.lynchburg.net

          >ONElist announces "FRIENDS & FAMILY!"
          >For details, including our weekly drawing, go to
          >http://www.onelist.com/info/onereachsplash3.html

          square miles...

        • Easeufe@xxx.xxx
          Message 4 of 11 , Sep 2, 1999
            Thanks to Dave Webb for sharing your experiences with Parks Canada rules and
            his insight into the whys and wherefores. (BTW, Fort McHenry does not have
            opposing forces and the firing demos are done on a field next to the
            waterfront.)

            I agree with Steve Abolt that the choice of wearing ear-plugs should be a
            personal decision and not mandated and have written a letter to that effect
            to Fort McHenry. The members of my unit have agreed with my response and
            support it.

            As I stated in my letter to the Fort, I have never worn ear-plugs in my 25
            years of re-enacting. I do have a slight loss of hearing in my left ear but
            that could have just as easily been attributed to running around the country
            to re-enactments with my driver's side window down and having a steady stream
            of air/noise blowing into it. I have served in the ranks and on artillery.
            As far as I'm concerned, the most dangerous firing is that which is done over
            your body when you're re-enacting the dead and wounded.

            Yes, Steve, you are correct that we must abide by the rules set forth by the
            site if we are to continue to play there. I also agree with Dave that it is
            the sites that we support and who likewise support us that allow us to keep
            on re-enacting. Since our entry into the War of 1812 scene, several Maryland
            State Parks and County/Private sites have opened theirs gates and coffers to
            embrace this period. In several cases, they turn to us for recommendations
            on how to conduct the event and rely on us for our own and the site's safety
            rules. We must always conduct ourselves as employees of the site and make
            the safety of the public our paramount concern. At times, re-enacting and
            authenticity must give way to the public welfare.

            It's interesting that the NPS has brought this to our attention just 2 weeks
            before the event. We had participated in another NPS event in southern
            Maryland which highlighted multi-period warfare in that part of the state.
            This was just 3 weeks ago and the non-wearing of ear-plugs was not an issue.
            We were surprised though when the NPS Black Powder Safety Officer (SO) took a
            list of our names, SSNs and the serial numbers of our muskets. The firing
            demo had to be done in an approximate 5x5 foot area; however, two ACW
            soldiers couldn't fire due to the SO not being trained in rifled weapons and
            two Ft. McHenry Guard soldiers cited rules for why they couldn't fire.

            To clarify what happened at Bladensburg, we had an officers meeting at noon
            to discuss the battle re-enactment for later that day. The Guard announced
            that they couldn't fire but would play the part of retreating militia; at
            3:00, they announced they wouldn't participate at all citing NPS rules.

            Ed Seufert
            Royal Marines
          • Roger Fuller
            Message 5 of 11 , Sep 3, 1999
              From: Easeufe@... <Easeufe@...>
              To: warof1812@onelist.com <warof1812@onelist.com>
              Date: 03 September 1999 00:37
              Subject: [WarOf1812] New NPS Regs

              >From: Easeufe@...

              (snip)
              >This was just 3 weeks ago and the non-wearing of ear-plugs was not an
              issue.
              >We were surprised though when the NPS Black Powder Safety Officer (SO) took
              >list of our names, SSNs and the serial numbers of our muskets

              (snip)

              >Ed Seufert
              >Royal Marines

              I'd like to know what branch of the Internal Revenue Service or Social
              Security Administration this NPS BPSO thought he was also employed
              by...those are the ONLY two Federal agencies that would legally have any
              right to demand your social security number. Insurers do NOT need to have
              your SS#, no matter how much they may whine and complain. Same with state,
              county and federal law enforcement or motor vehicle departments. They may
              ask you, but you don't have to give it to them.

              Next time ask him what law permits him to ask such a sensitive question. SS#
              misuse is rampant- don't let anybody know it who is not involved with your
              taxes, paychecks, or retirement funds. It's the law!

              Better yet, don't even play along- just walk away. That's the loudest
              protest one can make, besides contacting your senators and representatives.
              These events sound as if they are potentially more trouble than they are
              worth. Even up here in Massachusetts, the NPS -so far- haven't pulled
              anything like this.

              Roger Fuller
              3/95th (Rifles)