Re: [WarOf1812] Re: Pte Pierpont

  • craig w
    Message 1 of 15 , Feb 2, 2005
      There is also a Black cemetery in Fort Erie.

      Craig
      On Wednesday, February 2, 2005, at 08:15 AM, Kevin Windsor wrote:

      > Don't think it was race Peter. Here on the border there are a number
      > of
      > Black people (contempories of Pierpointe) buried in regular cemeteries
      > with
      > everyone else. I know of one black cemetery in a place called
      > Burgessville
      > (near Stratford Ontario).
      >
      > Kevin
      > 89th

    • Peter Monahan
      Message 2 of 15 , Feb 2, 2005
        Kevin and Craig

        My point was - if the anonymous body was captain Dick - that the cemetery in question would have been full of dead white Presbyterians. We have a black cemetery up here too, but if Watson wanted Pierpont buried in Fergus churchyard and the elders said "No" it could have either because he was non-white or because he was non-Christian. Don't forget that black cemeteries often grew up because even dead they weren't welcome!

        Frustratingly, the author doesn't say how the dispute was resolved and doesn't even sure where Capt dick was buried at all.
        From: craig w <sgtwarner@...>
        Date: 2005/02/02 Wed AM 10:12:45 EST
        To: WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com
        Subject: Re: [WarOf1812] Re: Pte Pierpont

        There is also a Black cemetery in Fort Erie.

        Craig
        On Wednesday, February 2, 2005, at 08:15 AM, Kevin Windsor wrote:

        > Don't think it was race Peter. Here on the border there are a number
        > of
        > Black people (contempories of Pierpointe) buried in regular cemeteries
        > with
        > everyone else. I know of one black cemetery in a place called
        > Burgessville
        > (near Stratford Ontario).
        >
        > Kevin
        > 89th

      • craig w
        Message 3 of 15 , Feb 2, 2005
          Peter,

          Understood. It's just that I thought that you were also making a point
          that this graveyard was an anomaly and I wanted to offer that it was a
          way of life in the 19th century.
          And yes it's frustrating when an author doesn't include the conclusion
          or even state if that conclusion is lost to time.

          Craig

          > Kevin and Craig
          >
          > My point was - if the anonymous body was captain Dick - that the
          > cemetery in question would have been full of dead white Presbyterians.
          > We have a black cemetery up here too, but if Watson wanted Pierpont
          > buried in Fergus churchyard and the elders said "No" it could have
          > either because he was non-white or because he was non-Christian.
          > Don't forget that black cemeteries often grew up because even dead
          > they weren't welcome!
          >
          > Frustratingly, the author doesn't say how the dispute was resolved and
          > doesn't even sure where Capt dick was buried at all.
        • lalozon
          Message 4 of 15 , Feb 2, 2005
            From: "Kevin Windsor" <kevin.windsor@...>

            Don't think it was race Peter. Here on the border there are a number of
            Black people (contempories of Pierpointe) buried in regular cemeteries with
            everyone else. I know of one black cemetery in a place called Burgessville
            (near Stratford Ontario).

            Kevin et al,

            Racism in Canada was a strange thing ... we were supposed to be a
            "Free" state/province ... Dresden was the end of the Underground Railroad
            .... many of African decent lived in that area ... the town of Dresden
            passed a law that

            "Negroes were not allowed to walk the streets after sunset"

            ...... a black man was hung on the bridge in the middle of town for breaking
            this law in the mid 1800s.

            Mary Ann Shad was the first woman in North America to publish a
            newspaper ... being a Negro and a woman gave her many hardships in Canada.

            Elijah McCoy ... Colchester, Ont. invented the McCoy Lubricator ... (the
            real McCoy) ... and awarded 50 more patents ... but only after many
            hardships due to his race.

            There are black settlements near Chatham, one being 'North Buxton' and only
            blacks were buried in their cemetery until 1945.

            Religion or Race ...... or even being a Woman ...... that is hard to call

            =========

            From: "Peter Monahan" <petemonahan@...>

            "This is my last will and testament in the name of God Amen".

            Are these the words of a Christian, merely a linguistic convention by
            Pierpont or his scribe or perhaps an echo of the standard Arabic
            exhortations to and acknowledgements of Allah which are so common in Muslim
            conversation and correspondence?

            Muslims teach that their GOD is named "Allah" as Christians use
            "Jehovah" and "Yahweh".
            But at the end 'Allah' is their GOD.

            Possibly Mr. Hobbs, with his Theological training could help here ...... Sir
            ?!

            I would imagine that his Last Will and Testament, being a legal document
            would have to follow standards in it's content......

            Possibly the Barristers Solicitors and Lawyers on this group could help us
            out with this one ........ Councillors ......?!

            Yes Sir agreed, a fascinating thread

            ==========

            From: "R.W. Fuller <fullerfamily@...>

            I'll be more impressed when somebody recreates the West India Regiments!

            Yur Grace,

            Are there ... were there ... not a few doing this impression at New
            Orleans?

            Maj. B.,

            Was there not a West India Regiment soldier who marched with us when
            you marched us across the Chalmette Battlefield where you did the Memorial
            Service?

            Yrs.,

            L2
          • Peter Monahan
            Message 5 of 15 , Feb 2, 2005
              Your Grace

              Don't get me started on racism in Canada!
              About the same time the police chief in Birmingham, Alabama was setting his attack dogs on blacks, the black crossing guard in my home town in Nova Scotia saved up enough to buy a house in town. But, despite 20 years service, Christmas cards from kids, etc etc, no one would sell to him and when my parents did they got threatening and obscene phone calls!

              I'm aware that Muslims call God "Allah" but I'm thinking of the very common practice by my African Muslim students many years ago of both beginning and ending letters with references to "God" when writing in English. If translated mentally into English by an unlettered man the Arabic phrase, which escapes me now< might well sound like what Pierpont said in his will. Flogged enough, I think.

              Peter M
            • ray hobbs
              Message 6 of 15 , Feb 2, 2005
                List:
                This thread does raise the interesting topic of black soldiers in the
                British Army during the Napoleonic period - and I am not simply
                thinking of the West Indian regiments.
                I know of one dissertation on black military musicians of the period,
                and I have also read that some regiments, e.g. the 104th, had black
                pioneers. But, this looks similar to the role as "hewers of wood and
                drawers of water" which many linked to a stereotype of the black.

                Slavery was still common in Canada, although trade in slaves had been
                abolished. Joseph Brant had a slave woman, Sarah Pooley, who he sold to
                Samuel Hatt of the Lincolns in ca. 1806. This was not uncommon. Many
                churches were segregated during this period. This is certainly true of
                the churches which grew up on the border with the US. Even today the
                "Amherstburg Baptist Association" is black, through no fault of the
                modern whites. They simply prefer to remain separate to preserve their
                history.
                Also many of the earliest Baptist Churches along the Niagara Peninsula
                to York were black churches, founded in our period.

                There is a fascinating "Negro burial ground" in Niagara on the Lake. It
                is actually the remains of a small Baptist church of blacks who had
                come to the area in the 1790s and early 1800s. It is interesting
                because after the War of 1812, when the church was foundering, Sergeant
                John Oakley, of the Royal Wagon Train, a Baptist soldier from Britain
                agreed to become their pastor. He stayed there for many years. He was
                white.

                To my knowledge there has not been an exhaustive treatment done of the
                role of black soldiers in the period we recreate. It is long overdue.

                Ray Hobbs
                41st Regt.

                On Wednesday, February 2, 2005, at 11:01 AM, craig w wrote:

                > Peter,
                >
                > Understood. It's just that I thought that you� were also making a point
                > that this graveyard was an anomaly and I wanted to offer� that it was a
                > way of life in the 19th century.
                > And yes it's frustrating when an author doesn't include the conclusion
                > or even state if that conclusion is lost to time.
                >
                > Craig
                >

                > > Kevin and Craig
                > >
                > > My point was - if the anonymous body was captain Dick - that the
                > > cemetery in question would have been full of dead white
                > Presbyterians.
                > >� We have a black cemetery up here too, but if Watson wanted Pierpont
                > > buried in Fergus churchyard and the elders said "No" it could have
                > > either because he was non-white or because he was non-Christian.�
                > > Don't forget that black cemeteries often grew up because even dead
                > > they weren't welcome!
                > >
                > > Frustratingly, the author doesn't say how the dispute was resolved
                > and
                > > doesn't even sure where Capt dick was buried at all.

                > THOUSANDS of square miles...

                > �� ---------------------------------
                > Crown Forces Unit Listing:
                > http://1812crownforces.tripod.com
                >
                > American Forces Unit Lisiting
                > http://usforces1812.tripod.com

                <image.tiff>

                > Yahoo! Groups Links

                > �
                > �

              • lalozon
                Message 7 of 15 , Feb 2, 2005
                  From: "Peter Monahan" <petemonahan@...>

                  Your Grace

                  L2: There is only one person in North America who has earned the title 'Yur
                  (Your) Grace' that being, General
                  Tim Pickles, O/C the Crown Forces North America ... the reason is because he
                  has played the Man, the Duke of Wellington many times at re-enactments in
                  Europe.

                  If you are addressing him with this email I bow to his wisdom and apologise
                  to you et al for answering same.

                  I do however notice my content in this post so shall answer same.

                  :::::::::::::::

                  PM: Don't get me started on racism in Canada!

                  L2: I was raised in the Black section of Chatham, Ontario ..... my father
                  owned a grocery store in this section of town for over 15 years and I am
                  aware of racism in Canada as in the rest of North America.

                  :::::::::::::::

                  PM: I'm aware that Muslims call God "Allah" but I'm thinking of the very
                  common practice by my African Muslim students many years ago of both
                  beginning and ending letters with references to "God" when writing in
                  English. If translated mentally into English by an unlettered man the
                  Arabic phrase, which escapes me now< might well sound like what Pierpont
                  said in his will. Flogged enough, I think.

                  L2: As many religions have different names for their GOD ... does it raise
                  the question, "which GOD?"

                  Agreed ...... Flogged enough

                  :::::::::::::

                  As I did state the "R" word ... RELIGION

                  I found this at Yahoo this morning .....

                  _______________

                  Is the Bible copyrighted?

                  There are no original Biblical copyright holders. The Bible was written by
                  roughly 40 or so people over the span of 1,500 years (from around 1450 B.C.
                  until A.D. 100). It was written in Hebrew, Aramaic, and Koine Greek.

                  Many modern translations of the Bible are copyrighted. While several of
                  these Bible copyright holders offer their translations online and allow
                  people to make attributed quotes, they would probably frown upon someone
                  printing their translation and trying to sell it. Besides, since a Bible
                  quote in English is by definition a translation, it's good practice to
                  attribute the source.

                  As we quickly discovered, copyright law is a complicated affair. Many books
                  become public domain 70 years after the author's death. Of course, it goes
                  without saying that the Bible isn't your average book, so we suggest you
                  check with the publisher. However, the Bible Gateway notes that many
                  versions are in the public domain including the King James Bible.
                  -----------

                  Yrs.,

                  L2
                • BritcomHMP@aol.com
                  Message 8 of 15 , Feb 2, 2005
                    In a message dated 02/02/2005 10:24:47 Central Standard Time,
                    lalozon@... writes:

                    Mary Ann Shad was the first woman in North America to publish a
                    newspaper ... being a Negro and a woman gave her many hardships in Canada.

                    Even in these politicaly correct time I think that should be Negress!

                  • Kevin Windsor
                    Message 9 of 15 , Feb 2, 2005
                      I read a great account by Gerry Altoff, about Blacks in the US Army. Anyone
                      want to do a British account.

                      Kevin
                      89th

                      Message 10 of 15 , Feb 2, 2005
                        Kevin et al.
                        Contact the history department at your local university - Kevin, Brock
                        U is where Wesley Turner taught. Then suggest to the Prof. of Canadian
                        history this topic. A graduate student can be persuaded to work at it.
                        They are always looking for unchartered waters to traverse.
                        There is also a pile of unread documentation lying around in all sorts
                        of archives and libraries.

                        Which reminds me - On Friday I am off to spend a full week in the
                        National Archives/Library in Ottawa - ah bliss!

                        Ray H
                        41st Regt

                        On Wednesday, February 2, 2005, at 06:12 PM, Kevin Windsor wrote:

                        > I read a great account by Gerry Altoff, about Blacks in the US Army.
                        > Anyone
                        > want to do a British account.
                        >
                        > Kevin
                        > 89th

                      • hm95thfoot
                        Message 11 of 15 , Feb 2, 2005
                          Even though it's a great topic of interest to us all here, having
                          been through grad school in the liberal arts, and knowing some who
                          are going through it right now, for various reasons, military topics
                          on a dissertation are not a hot way to get a career in academia
                          going. That is, unless it's something unusually catchy that attracts
                          dept. heads in various universities, or the candidate has published
                          elsewhere in the field, therefore being already known in his/her
                          area. The ability to get published, and in an area that is in demand
                          is key toward landing a decent tenured position in areas such as
                          history, ethnography, sociology and political science. That's just
                          they way it is right now.

                          For a museum position, that might be different, but that was not my
                          specialty.

                          For now, when it comes to learning about Africans in the British
                          Army in this period, Roger Norman Buckley's "Slaves in Redcoats: The
                          British West Indian Regiments 1795-1815" (Yale University Press,
                          1979) is still the best. Out of print, it's available through
                          Interlibrary Loan, or the Canadian equivalent.

                          BTDT,
                          RWF

                          --- In WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com, ray hobbs <ray.hobbs@s...> wrote:
                          > Kevin et al.
                          > Contact the history department at your local university - Kevin,
                          Brock
                          > U is where Wesley Turner taught. Then suggest to the Prof. of
                          Canadian
                          > history this topic. A graduate student can be persuaded to work at
                          it.
                          > They are always looking for unchartered waters to traverse.
                          > There is also a pile of unread documentation lying around in all
                          sorts
                          > of archives and libraries.
                          >
                          > Which reminds me - On Friday I am off to spend a full week in the
                          > National Archives/Library in Ottawa - ah bliss!
                          >
                          > Ray H
                          > 41st Regt
                          >

                          > On Wednesday, February 2, 2005, at 06:12 PM, Kevin Windsor wrote:
                          >

                          > > I read a great account by Gerry Altoff, about Blacks in the US
                          Army.
                          > > Anyone
                          > > want to do a British account.
                          > >
                          > > Kevin
                          > > 89th

                        • Rick Peterson
                          Message 12 of 15 , Feb 3, 2005
                            Kevin et al.
                            I was wondering if the re-enactor Ivor from the IMUC has done any
                            research?
                            For those who aren't familiar with him, he is/was a black member of
                            the IMUC, who was an enthusiastic re-enactor. I haven't seen him in
                            over 3 years. Is he still in the hobby? Did he uncover any info in
                            his own research group?

                            Rick P

                            --- In WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com, ray hobbs <ray.hobbs@s...> wrote:
                            > Kevin et al.
                            > Contact the history department at your local university - Kevin,
                            Brock
                            > U is where Wesley Turner taught. Then suggest to the Prof. of
                            Canadian
                            > history this topic. A graduate student can be persuaded to work at
                            it.
                            > They are always looking for unchartered waters to traverse.
                            > There is also a pile of unread documentation lying around in all
                            sorts
                            > of archives and libraries.
                            >
                            > Which reminds me - On Friday I am off to spend a full week in the
                            > National Archives/Library in Ottawa - ah bliss!
                            >
                            > Ray H
                            > 41st Regt
                            >

                            > On Wednesday, February 2, 2005, at 06:12 PM, Kevin Windsor wrote:
                            >

                            > > I read a great account by Gerry Altoff, about Blacks in the US
                            Army.
                            > > Anyone
                            > > want to do a British account.
                            > >
                            > > Kevin
                            > > 89th

                          • lalozon
                            Message 13 of 15 , Feb 3, 2005
                              I was wondering if the re-enactor Ivor from the IMUC has done any research?
                              For those who aren't familiar with him, he is/was a black member of the
                              IMUC, who was an enthusiastic re-enactor.
                              I haven't seen him in over 3 years. Is he still in the hobby? Did he uncover
                              any info in his own research group?

                              Rick ,

                              If you are talking about Ivor Christopher.

                              He was a member of the Kings Regiment in the Canadas (8th [Kings] Regt).
                              http://8th_regiment.tripod.com/index.html http://kingsregiment.tripod.com
                              http://kingsregiment.tripod.com/thekingsregiment

                              I don't think he was ever a member of IMUC!? Possibly Mr. Kelly can search
                              the membership records.

                              Ivor's research regarding his impression of Runchey's Company Free Men of
                              Colour was given him by Barry Sandler (retired re-enactor). He did not do
                              very much research himself.

                              There were some people at the Black Heritage Museum in Amhertburg
                              www.blackhistoricalmuseum.com/museum.htm who were interested in doing the
                              impression but Ivor got busy with his work and has quit the hobby and
                              nothing has been done re: Runchey's.

                              In contact with the Kings Regiment in the Canadas (8th [Kings] Regt) I am
                              informed that he is no longer a member.

                              I hope this helps

                              Yrs.,

                              L2

                            • Rick Peterson
                              Message 14 of 15 , Feb 4, 2005
                                Larry,
                                Thanks for the correction. My recollections were that he was a member
                                of the IMUC, but I am now sure that I was mistaken. Either way, it is
                                a shame he is no longer in the hobby - he was a great person.

                                RP