Re: [WarOf1812] Re: African Heritage Month ... (Black Heritage Month)

  • Ed Seufert
    Message 1 of 6 , Feb 1, 2005
      Or the Colonial Marines! These were ex-slaves from Maryland and Virginia who fought alongside British forces in the Chesapeake. Talk about unsung heroes! They faced certain death if they were caught for no other reason then escaping bondage for freedom and liberty. A total of 6 companies were eventually formed and also included ex-slaves from Georgia and the Floridas who joined when the British occupied Cumberland Island. They and their descendents were rewarded with land in Trinidad where their settlements thrive to this very day.

      Ed Seufert, Cpl
      1812 Royal Marines