Re: "How tall were 1812 soldiers"

  • Len Heidebrecht
    Message 1 of 8 , Feb 1, 2005
      > Betsy you rock!!!!

      Yup she do.

      >I believe Len Heidebrecht also has a list of the height of men in
      the 8th (Kings) Regiment while at Fort York during the War of 1812
      > Len .............. ?!?

      Oh, that's my cue!

      Actually its a listing of the first 124 civilians in the area of the
      town of York UC to take the oaths of Abrigation and Allegience
      conducted from 1800-1806. Average height was Five foot nine and three
      quarters.

      I think you'll find that this sampling of the prisoners of war may be
      skewed slightly as a number of boy drummers were listed ; ages
      10,12,13,15 and 16 (though two drummers were 32 and 34).

      What a fascinating piece of work this is. I thought that I'd list
      some of the bits of trivia that I've picked up so-far:

      Number of captives: 440

      Ages 10 to 58,

      Heights, 4'4" to 6'2"(more on that when I have the time,)

      Ranks:
      Unremarked, 112
      Private, 262
      Cpl, 27
      Sjt, 22
      Drummer, 7
      Gunner, 8
      Craftsman, 1
      Civilian, 1

      Wounded 88

      Jonathan Holliways might have been a driver, commissairy or just
      someone who pissed them off so much they dragged him back as well.

      Craftsman may refer to a pioneer,sapper/miner or one of the
      artificers of the regiment such as the shoemaker or farrier.

      Of the Cpls, Sjts we don't know if any were artillerist. But one
      person I listed as a gunner is remarked as being 'Artillery'.

      Pte Lens Meniclier a Cdn is listed as a dragoon. Capt Coleman's Tp
      perhaps? Eleven other Canadians are also listed as prisoners.

      I don't blame Patrick Kelly for trying to escape, I regularly attend
      courses in Berea KY between Christmas an New Year; a dry town in a
      dry county. Strangely enough the only wet town in that county is
      Frankfort. Perhaps the poor fellow only wanted to go and have
      Christmas drink with his waiter friends?

      Cheers,

      Len