Re: [WarOf1812] African Heritage Month ... (Black Heritage Month)

  • ray hobbs
    Message 1 of 6 , Feb 1, 2005
      Thanks Larry:
      Don't forget;
      David and Peter Meyler, A Stolen Life: The Search for Richard
      Pierpoint. Toronto: Natural Heritage Books, 1999.
      The Meyler's make the fascinating point, that Pierpoint is never
      recorded as having converted to Christianity, nor is there any record
      of him in a church roster. They suggest that he remained a Muslim, the
      religion of his original east African coastland home.
      Interesting conclusion
      Ray Hobbs
      41st Regt

      On Tuesday, February 1, 2005, at 10:51 AM, lalozon wrote:

      > February is African Heritage Month ... (Black Heritage Month)
      >
      > With this in mind .......
      >
      > ______________
      >
      > THE BRIGADE DISPATCH
      > The Journal of the Brigade of the American Revolution
      > Vol. XXXIV, No.2 Summer 2004
      >
      > Blacks Who Served in Butler's Rangers"
      > by William A. Smy [United Empire Loyalist Association of Canada]
      >
      > Private Richard Pierpoint (... nickname "Capt. Dick) born Senegal West
      > Africa about 1744 ...joined Butler's rangers Dec 1780 ... his name was
      > annotated "blackman" ... he settled in St. Catherines, Ontario ...
      > Dick's
      > Creek was named for his nickname ...� 1812 he joined Capt. Richard
      > Runchey's
      > Coloured Company of the 1st Regt. of Lincoln Militia ... he died in
      > 1838
      > over 80 years of age ....
      >
      > (only one of many listed)
      > __________________
      >
      > another good book
      >
      > ... amongst my best men
      > African-Americans and the War of 1812
      > by Gerard T. Altoff
      > (retired Perry's Victory Monument, South Bass Island, Put-in-Bay, Ohio)
      > ISBN 1-887794-02-6
      >
      > The Perry Group
      > P.O. Box 484
      > Put-in-Bay, Ohio
      > USA� 43456
      >
      > __________
      >
      > Being raised in Chatham, Ontario Canada, the end of the "Underground
      > Railroad", only twelve miles from Uncle Tom's Cabin Historic Site, the
      > homestead of Josiah Henson www.uncletomscabin.org�� and having John
      > Brown
      > holding a meeting in a Baptist Church in Chatham, where he outlined his
      > plans to attack Harpers Ferry
      > www.collectionscanada.ca/confederation/h18-2056-e.html� I have been
      > interested in the Black history. Especially as it pertains to the War
      > of
      > 1812.
      >

      > PS: Thank you to Steve and Cynda Abolt for taking me to Harper's Ferry
      > last
      > summer.
      >

      > Yrs.,
      >
      > ���� L2

      > THOUSANDS of square miles...

      > �� ---------------------------------
      > Crown Forces Unit Listing:
      > http://1812crownforces.tripod.com
      >
      > American Forces Unit Lisiting
      > http://usforces1812.tripod.com

      <image.tiff>

      > Yahoo! Groups Links

      > �
      > �

    • hm95thfoot
      Message 2 of 6 , Feb 1, 2005
        --- In WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com, "Colin" <usmarine1814@y...> wrote:

        > > With this in mind .......

        It was great to see the JROTC unit doing the Free Men of Color
        > impression in New Orleans. Hopefully when those kids leave high
        school
        > they continue their interest in the period

        Huh- I'll be more impressed when somebody recreates the West India
        Regiments! Unsung heroes, indeed!

        RWF
      • Ed Seufert
        Message 3 of 6 , Feb 1, 2005
          Or the Colonial Marines! These were ex-slaves from Maryland and Virginia who fought alongside British forces in the Chesapeake. Talk about unsung heroes! They faced certain death if they were caught for no other reason then escaping bondage for freedom and liberty. A total of 6 companies were eventually formed and also included ex-slaves from Georgia and the Floridas who joined when the British occupied Cumberland Island. They and their descendents were rewarded with land in Trinidad where their settlements thrive to this very day.

          Ed Seufert, Cpl
          1812 Royal Marines