prisoners of war - 1813 41st Prisoner List - transcription comments

  • lalozon
    Message 1 of 8 , Feb 1, 2005
      From: "Jim Yaworsky" <yawors1@...>

      Going through the long list of Prisoners, I noticed the following, which is
      of interest primarily to fans of the 41st, I suppose.
      ==============================

      Kelly, Patrick killed 24 Dec 1813 trying to force the centenial

      JY: ... Patrick Kelly was trying to escape. Just where he wanted to go, or
      thought he could get to, on December 24 from a camp deep in Kentucky is the
      puzzle.

      L2: I have (somewhere) a report of a Kent Militia man who walked from
      Kentucky to his home near Chatham Ontario Canada, in the winter, after
      escaping from a War of 1812 prisoner camp.

      I think Patty Kelly just wanted to get out of the camp.

      =========

      Danford, James England 19 Fair 5'3 waiter to Captain O'Keefe
      Beasley, William England 23 Fair 5'11 to Frankfort
      Mabbot, Henry Pvt England gone to Frankfort as a waiter Dark 5'6
      Rose, Joseph Pvt England 30 Dark 5'5 to Frankfort as waiter
      Weaver, Francis Pvt Eng 34 Dark 5'5 to Frankfort as waiter

      JY: all these men were "waiting" on the officers who were kept "imprisoned"
      in Frankfort (actually, free on parole to roam about Frankfort most of the
      time). These men were not deserters.

      L2: They were smart! ... free to roam as you said and able to eat and drink
      the dregs of the Officer's table!

      =============

      Ripley, Christopher England 25 Dark 5'7 deserted
      Sharpe, Thomas Deserted

      JY: these two are the only men listed as "deserted" on the list.

      L2: reading more from

      THE BRIGADE DISPATCH
      The Journal of the Brigade of the American Revolution
      Vol. XXXIV, No.2 Summer 2004

      "Revolutionary War ... Courts Martial ..... cont.

      British General Court Martial,
      Brooklyn, Long Island, Aug. 12, 1778

      John Conolly, pte. 64th Regt,. Foote
      accused of 'deserting from said Regt.

      Court's Opinion "guilty"
      1st Article of War, 6th Section

      ... to receive 'one thousand lashes on the bare back with Cats of Nine tails

      Was the punishment in 1812, lashes, confinement, hard labour or death for
      desertion?

      ==============

      "Interesting this research stuff"
      as Mr. Hobbs says, looking over his wine glass ............

      Yrs.,

      L2
    • lalozon
      Message 2 of 8 , Feb 1, 2005
        From: "Kevin Windsor" <kevin.windsor@...>

        Betsy you rock!!!!

        visit http://www.rootsweb.com/~kycampbe/war1812prisoners.htm

        Yes Mr. Windsor she do ........

        I believe Len Heidebrecht also has a list of the height of men
        in the 8th (Kings) Regiment while at Fort York during the War of 1812

        Len .............. ?!?

        Yrs.,

        L2
      • Len Heidebrecht
        Message 3 of 8 , Feb 1, 2005
          > Betsy you rock!!!!

          Yup she do.

          >I believe Len Heidebrecht also has a list of the height of men in
          the 8th (Kings) Regiment while at Fort York during the War of 1812
          > Len .............. ?!?

          Oh, that's my cue!

          Actually its a listing of the first 124 civilians in the area of the
          town of York UC to take the oaths of Abrigation and Allegience
          conducted from 1800-1806. Average height was Five foot nine and three
          quarters.

          I think you'll find that this sampling of the prisoners of war may be
          skewed slightly as a number of boy drummers were listed ; ages
          10,12,13,15 and 16 (though two drummers were 32 and 34).

          What a fascinating piece of work this is. I thought that I'd list
          some of the bits of trivia that I've picked up so-far:

          Number of captives: 440

          Ages 10 to 58,

          Heights, 4'4" to 6'2"(more on that when I have the time,)

          Ranks:
          Unremarked, 112
          Private, 262
          Cpl, 27
          Sjt, 22
          Drummer, 7
          Gunner, 8
          Craftsman, 1
          Civilian, 1

          Wounded 88

          Jonathan Holliways might have been a driver, commissairy or just
          someone who pissed them off so much they dragged him back as well.

          Craftsman may refer to a pioneer,sapper/miner or one of the
          artificers of the regiment such as the shoemaker or farrier.

          Of the Cpls, Sjts we don't know if any were artillerist. But one
          person I listed as a gunner is remarked as being 'Artillery'.

          Pte Lens Meniclier a Cdn is listed as a dragoon. Capt Coleman's Tp
          perhaps? Eleven other Canadians are also listed as prisoners.

          I don't blame Patrick Kelly for trying to escape, I regularly attend
          courses in Berea KY between Christmas an New Year; a dry town in a
          dry county. Strangely enough the only wet town in that county is
          Frankfort. Perhaps the poor fellow only wanted to go and have
          Christmas drink with his waiter friends?

          Cheers,

          Len