African Heritage Month ... (Black Heritage Month)

  • lalozon
    Message 1 of 6 , Feb 1, 2005
      February is African Heritage Month ... (Black Heritage Month)

      With this in mind .......

      ______________

      THE BRIGADE DISPATCH
      The Journal of the Brigade of the American Revolution
      Vol. XXXIV, No.2 Summer 2004

      Blacks Who Served in Butler's Rangers"
      by William A. Smy [United Empire Loyalist Association of Canada]

      Private Richard Pierpoint (... nickname "Capt. Dick) born Senegal West
      Africa about 1744 ...joined Butler's rangers Dec 1780 ... his name was
      annotated "blackman" ... he settled in St. Catherines, Ontario ... Dick's
      Creek was named for his nickname ... 1812 he joined Capt. Richard Runchey's
      Coloured Company of the 1st Regt. of Lincoln Militia ... he died in 1838
      over 80 years of age ....

      (only one of many listed)
      __________________

      another good book

      ... amongst my best men
      African-Americans and the War of 1812
      by Gerard T. Altoff
      (retired Perry's Victory Monument, South Bass Island, Put-in-Bay, Ohio)
      ISBN 1-887794-02-6

      The Perry Group
      P.O. Box 484
      Put-in-Bay, Ohio
      USA 43456

      __________

      Being raised in Chatham, Ontario Canada, the end of the "Underground
      Railroad", only twelve miles from Uncle Tom's Cabin Historic Site, the
      homestead of Josiah Henson www.uncletomscabin.org and having John Brown
      holding a meeting in a Baptist Church in Chatham, where he outlined his
      plans to attack Harpers Ferry
      www.collectionscanada.ca/confederation/h18-2056-e.html I have been
      interested in the Black history. Especially as it pertains to the War of
      1812.

      PS: Thank you to Steve and Cynda Abolt for taking me to Harper's Ferry last
      summer.

      Yrs.,

      L2
    • Colin
      Message 2 of 6 , Feb 1, 2005
        > With this in mind .......

        Agianst the overwhelming concensus that there were NO US Marines of color
        during the War of 1812 , we here with the USS Constitution Marine Guard
        have encouraged African Americans to joins us and have had success.
        This positions has been the norm amongst many historians and the Marine
        Corps official historians as well. Early Marine Corps records state that there
        are to be no "negroes or mulattoes" and one foreigner to every 4 natives. Yet
        a closer study of the enlistment discriptions (height, complexion, eye and hair
        color, place of birth and occupation ie. Dark complexion, black hair, black
        eyes, Virginia, planter) has proven to us that there were men of color (mixed
        race if not African ancestral dominant) in the USMC. We are finally starting to
        convince some of those who have dismissed this idea in the past as well. The
        simple fact was that the USMC was taking anyone they could get to sign up
        (paraphasing) "as long as they had a basic understanding of our language."
        And it is still possible to find letters in French to the COMMANDANT OF THE
        MARINES fom enlisted men of French decent.
        They took anyone... Even those Irish!!!!
        Colin Murphy
        USS Con
        1812 MG
        ps. It was great to see the JROTC unit doing the Free Men of Color
        impression in New Orleans. Hopefully when those kids leave high school
        they continue their interest in the period
      • lalozon
        Message 3 of 6 , Feb 1, 2005
          From: "Colin Murphy" <usmarine1814@...>

          > > With this in mind .......

          " ... we here with the USS Constitution Marine Guard have encouraged
          African Americans to joins us ..."

          Many of the seasoned 1812 re-enactors will remember

          Ivor Christopher,

          I believe he was from one of the Caribbean Island originally,

          who marched as a KINGSMAN in the 8th (KINGS) Regiment (King's Regiment in
          the Canadas-Toronto) http://8th_regiment.tripod.com/index.html and
          http://kingsregiment.tripod.com

          Ivor also did a great impression of Runchey's Company Free Men of Colour.

          also

          Ed and Linda Bolla, 17th US Infantry Regiment - Ships Coy. Niagara, from
          Erie, Pennsylvania who were responsible for a great presentation of a Black
          Company of US Navy Pike Men when they hosted the opening of the new dock
          facilities for the Brig Niagara in Erie a few years ago.

          (damn Jim you are getting old!!!
          ....... that was more than a few years ago!!)

          oops! sorry ............

          Yrs.,

          L2
        • ray hobbs
          Message 4 of 6 , Feb 1, 2005
            Thanks Larry:
            Don't forget;
            David and Peter Meyler, A Stolen Life: The Search for Richard
            Pierpoint. Toronto: Natural Heritage Books, 1999.
            The Meyler's make the fascinating point, that Pierpoint is never
            recorded as having converted to Christianity, nor is there any record
            of him in a church roster. They suggest that he remained a Muslim, the
            religion of his original east African coastland home.
            Interesting conclusion
            Ray Hobbs
            41st Regt

            On Tuesday, February 1, 2005, at 10:51 AM, lalozon wrote:

            > February is African Heritage Month ... (Black Heritage Month)
            >
            > With this in mind .......
            >
            > ______________
            >
            > THE BRIGADE DISPATCH
            > The Journal of the Brigade of the American Revolution
            > Vol. XXXIV, No.2 Summer 2004
            >
            > Blacks Who Served in Butler's Rangers"
            > by William A. Smy [United Empire Loyalist Association of Canada]
            >
            > Private Richard Pierpoint (... nickname "Capt. Dick) born Senegal West
            > Africa about 1744 ...joined Butler's rangers Dec 1780 ... his name was
            > annotated "blackman" ... he settled in St. Catherines, Ontario ...
            > Dick's
            > Creek was named for his nickname ...� 1812 he joined Capt. Richard
            > Runchey's
            > Coloured Company of the 1st Regt. of Lincoln Militia ... he died in
            > 1838
            > over 80 years of age ....
            >
            > (only one of many listed)
            > __________________
            >
            > another good book
            >
            > ... amongst my best men
            > African-Americans and the War of 1812
            > by Gerard T. Altoff
            > (retired Perry's Victory Monument, South Bass Island, Put-in-Bay, Ohio)
            > ISBN 1-887794-02-6
            >
            > The Perry Group
            > P.O. Box 484
            > Put-in-Bay, Ohio
            > USA� 43456
            >
            > __________
            >
            > Being raised in Chatham, Ontario Canada, the end of the "Underground
            > Railroad", only twelve miles from Uncle Tom's Cabin Historic Site, the
            > homestead of Josiah Henson www.uncletomscabin.org�� and having John
            > Brown
            > holding a meeting in a Baptist Church in Chatham, where he outlined his
            > plans to attack Harpers Ferry
            > www.collectionscanada.ca/confederation/h18-2056-e.html� I have been
            > interested in the Black history. Especially as it pertains to the War
            > of
            > 1812.
            >

            > PS: Thank you to Steve and Cynda Abolt for taking me to Harper's Ferry
            > last
            > summer.
            >

            > Yrs.,
            >
            > ���� L2

            > THOUSANDS of square miles...

            > �� ---------------------------------
            > Crown Forces Unit Listing:
            > http://1812crownforces.tripod.com
            >
            > American Forces Unit Lisiting
            > http://usforces1812.tripod.com

            <image.tiff>

            > Yahoo! Groups Links

            > �
            > �

          • hm95thfoot
            Message 5 of 6 , Feb 1, 2005
              --- In WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com, "Colin" <usmarine1814@y...> wrote:

              > > With this in mind .......

              It was great to see the JROTC unit doing the Free Men of Color
              > impression in New Orleans. Hopefully when those kids leave high
              school
              > they continue their interest in the period

              Huh- I'll be more impressed when somebody recreates the West India
              Regiments! Unsung heroes, indeed!

              RWF
            • Ed Seufert
              Message 6 of 6 , Feb 1, 2005
                Or the Colonial Marines! These were ex-slaves from Maryland and Virginia who fought alongside British forces in the Chesapeake. Talk about unsung heroes! They faced certain death if they were caught for no other reason then escaping bondage for freedom and liberty. A total of 6 companies were eventually formed and also included ex-slaves from Georgia and the Floridas who joined when the British occupied Cumberland Island. They and their descendents were rewarded with land in Trinidad where their settlements thrive to this very day.

                Ed Seufert, Cpl
                1812 Royal Marines