Re: New NPS Regs

  • IX Regiment
    Message 1 of 11 , Sep 1, 1999
      Benton said:
      >It does provide "us" with protection of a sort against a very debilitating
      >outside influence, so to speak.

      The most damaging noise we often catch is the Musak and benal
      commentries from the PA systems :-)

      A fair number of UK Re-enactors use plugs especially those who's
      employment depends on their hearing!
      >Not historically accurate, but as I reenact only an actual small percentage
      >of my life, I prefer not to have historically accurate deafness the rest of
      >the time.
      Again authenticity is not an absolute, it depends where you draw your
      line, after all I'm far too old, too fat and far too "soft" ** G **
      >Although obviously this is another NPS "let's avoid lawsuits" type of action,
      >it is on the outset, looking out for us as well.
      >Only thing left to say is....
      >What...?
      Pardon.....?

      >Cheers
      P**
      --
      IX Regiment
    • tlubka@xxxxxxx.xxx
      Message 2 of 11 , Sep 1, 1999
        >I've just received a letter from the NPS on safety regulations to be followed
        at Fort McHenry for the weekend of the 10-12th. It seems that the NPS has
        just passed a new rule that persons performing firing demos on park property
        are now required to wear ear-plugs which will be supplied by the NPS.<

        The British Sgt. turns to his men.
        "Make ready!"
        "I said Make ready!!"
        "Hello!!???"..........

        I can see the NPS next inforcing leather gauntlets because one
        might get their hands burned.
        To copy Roger Fuller,
        "Oh the humanity!"

        PS - Sorry Roger....(somebody had to say it)

        Terry Lubka
        25th US, GLI
      • Roger Fuller
        Message 3 of 11 , Sep 1, 1999
          From: tlubka@... <tlubka@...>
          To: WarOf1812@onelist.com <WarOf1812@onelist.com>
          Date: 01 September 1999 08:50
          Subject: [WarOf1812] Re:New NPS Regs

          >From: tlubka@...
          >
          >>I've just received a letter from the NPS on safety regulations to be
          followed
          >at Fort McHenry for the weekend of the 10-12th. It seems that the NPS has
          >just passed a new rule that persons performing firing demos on park
          property
          >are now required to wear ear-plugs which will be supplied by the NPS.<
          >
          >The British Sgt. turns to his men.
          >"Make ready!"
          >"I said Make ready!!"
          >"Hello!!???"..........
          >
          >I can see the NPS next inforcing leather gauntlets because one
          >might get their hands burned.
          >To copy Roger Fuller,
          >"Oh the humanity!"
          >
          >PS - Sorry Roger....(somebody had to say it)
          >
          >Terry Lubka
          >25th US, GLI

          Actually, I am waiting for the NPS to make us all put large clear plexiglas
          shields on our muskets and rifles. We'd all look like we were carrying
          transparent Panzerfaust weapons....:^)

          *sigh* just one more banana peel on our slippery way down the slope to the
          all-knowing, all-seeing, all-banning "Nanny State"...

          "We know what's best for you- just shut up and do as we tell you...." :^),
          they always say.

          "But... we're doing it for the chiiiildren!", they also say.

          "Oh, the humanity!" I say (again)....

          Other possible scenario:

          "Look out for that falling branch!"
          "Huh? Whaddidyousay?"
          "Look out!"
          "What? I have no idea what you're saying. Lemme take out these earpl- "

          NB: I wear earplugs when shooting live, but live ball is a lot louder than
          the "FOOMP" of a musket full of powder. I also wear them because many of my
          fellow shooters at the range fire Berettas, SKS's, Mausers, Armalites, etc.
          THOSE are loud!!

          At reenactments? It should be up to the individual, i.e, responsible adult,
          who chooses to participate, Legalman notwithstanding. Reenactment is an
          inherently risky affair, and one should proceed accordingly, keeping in mind
          one's personal limitations.

          Anybody else seen this new restriction for living historians at an NPS (or
          English Heritage!) site, or anywhere else?

          Roger Fuller
          3/95th
        • BritcomHMP@xxx.xxx
          Message 4 of 11 , Sep 1, 1999
            In a message dated 8/31/1999 10:27:02 PM Central Daylight Time,
            Easeufe@... writes:

            << I've just received a letter from the NPS on safety regulations to be
            followed
            at Fort McHenry for the weekend of the 10-12th. It seems that the NPS has
            just passed a new rule that persons performing firing demos on park property
            are now required to wear ear-plugs which will be supplied by the NPS.

            Does this sound re-enactor friendly? :-( Any comments??

            I am waiting for the day when they ban firing all together and tell everyone
            to shout 'BANG'.

            Re-enactment never was, is not and never will be 100% safe. These 'sticking
            plasters' stuck over it to make it so are at best futile, and at worst give a
            false sense of security.

            I am not saying that if an individual wants to use them they should not be
            able to, but 'Nanny Government' should realise that we are perfectly capable
            of wiping our own backsides.

          • SACBG7@aol.com
            Message 5 of 11 , Sep 2, 1999
              Dear Onelist,
              I have the honor of commanding at Ft. McHenry next weekend. I too noticed the ear plug mention in my packet. While not exactly thrilled I can understand their point. I also see the worth of what was brought up not just by Benton, but by Tim, and many others of you.

              While we may not like orange or yellow foam protruding from our ears (or even parsnips) it remains that we are guests on another site's property having two choices--play by their rules or don't attend.

              I too have lost some hearing over the years due to gunfire, explosions, and even theatrical work, (another story.) At times I do choose to wear them. At others not. But the choice is mine. If something happens then I and I alone must bear responsibility. Tim is right. This can be and sometimes is a dangerous hobby. While I respect the Park's concerns, and will be sure my people follow them, I would much rather have been given a choice. If the choice is offered and something happens by your declining to wear them the responsibility must lie with you and you alone. We can't legislate responsibility, nor can we make others responsible for choices we make.

              I understand the NPS's concern. Having personally seen some things on NPS and State property done by reenactors I can well percieve the reason for their concern. One sorry by-product of this is the mistrust which still seems to fester between those entrusted with an historical site's care and those who want to help interpret it.

              Given a choice I probably wouldn't wear them. Since it is their sandbox and I am their guest, I'll play by their rules. I guess it is a shame when we must have laws for everything, including what should be our own responsibility. Any other viewpoints?
              Thanks. Hope to see many of you next weekend.
              Sincerely,
              Steve Abolt
              7th USILHA
              www.cottonbalers.lynchburg.net
            • Pudding Boy
              Message 6 of 11 , Sep 2, 1999
                Some years ago I had a set of custom fitted ear plugs made for me out of a
                flesh colored silicone like substance. They aren't so farby looking and
                they fit perfectly. Biggest advantage is that they actually work better
                than the one size fits all foam cylinders. They were called the peacekeeper
                and were produced at that time by Marion Safety. I have no idea if they are
                still available or if the company is still in business but it is a great
                product. AND not very noticable at 20 paces.

                Dave Hinkley

                >I have the honor of commanding at Ft. McHenry next weekend. I too noticed
                the ear plug mention in my packet. While not exactly thrilled I can
                understand their point. I also see the worth of what was brought up not just
                by Benton, but by Tim, and many others of you.

                > While we may not like orange or yellow foam protruding from our ears (or
                even parsnips) it remains that we are guests on another site's property
                having two choices--play by their rules or don't attend.

                >I too have lost some hearing over the years due to gunfire, explosions, and
                even theatrical work, (another story.) At times I do choose to wear them.
                At others not. But the choice is mine. If something happens then I and I
                alone must bear responsibility. Tim is right. This can be and sometimes is
                a dangerous hobby. While I respect the Park's concerns, and will be sure my
                people follow them, I would much rather have been given a choice. If the
                choice is offered and something happens by your declining to wear them the
                responsibility must lie with you and you alone. We can't legislate
                responsibility, nor can we make others responsible for choices we make.

                >I understand the NPS's concern. Having personally seen some things on NPS
                and State property done by reenactors I can well percieve the reason for
                their concern. One sorry by-product of this is the mistrust which still
                seems to fester between those entrusted with an historical site's care and
                those who want to help interpret it.

                >Given a choice I probably wouldn't wear them. Since it is their sandbox
                and I am their guest, I'll play by their rules. I guess it is a shame when
                we must have laws for everything, including what should be our own
                responsibility. Any other viewpoints?
                >Thanks. Hope to see many of you next weekend.
                >Sincerely,
                >Steve Abolt
                >7th USILHA
                >www.cottonbalers.lynchburg.net

                >ONElist announces "FRIENDS & FAMILY!"
                >For details, including our weekly drawing, go to
                >http://www.onelist.com/info/onereachsplash3.html

                square miles...

              • Easeufe@xxx.xxx
                Message 7 of 11 , Sep 2, 1999
                  Thanks to Dave Webb for sharing your experiences with Parks Canada rules and
                  his insight into the whys and wherefores. (BTW, Fort McHenry does not have
                  opposing forces and the firing demos are done on a field next to the
                  waterfront.)

                  I agree with Steve Abolt that the choice of wearing ear-plugs should be a
                  personal decision and not mandated and have written a letter to that effect
                  to Fort McHenry. The members of my unit have agreed with my response and
                  support it.

                  As I stated in my letter to the Fort, I have never worn ear-plugs in my 25
                  years of re-enacting. I do have a slight loss of hearing in my left ear but
                  that could have just as easily been attributed to running around the country
                  to re-enactments with my driver's side window down and having a steady stream
                  of air/noise blowing into it. I have served in the ranks and on artillery.
                  As far as I'm concerned, the most dangerous firing is that which is done over
                  your body when you're re-enacting the dead and wounded.

                  Yes, Steve, you are correct that we must abide by the rules set forth by the
                  site if we are to continue to play there. I also agree with Dave that it is
                  the sites that we support and who likewise support us that allow us to keep
                  on re-enacting. Since our entry into the War of 1812 scene, several Maryland
                  State Parks and County/Private sites have opened theirs gates and coffers to
                  embrace this period. In several cases, they turn to us for recommendations
                  on how to conduct the event and rely on us for our own and the site's safety
                  rules. We must always conduct ourselves as employees of the site and make
                  the safety of the public our paramount concern. At times, re-enacting and
                  authenticity must give way to the public welfare.

                  It's interesting that the NPS has brought this to our attention just 2 weeks
                  before the event. We had participated in another NPS event in southern
                  Maryland which highlighted multi-period warfare in that part of the state.
                  This was just 3 weeks ago and the non-wearing of ear-plugs was not an issue.
                  We were surprised though when the NPS Black Powder Safety Officer (SO) took a
                  list of our names, SSNs and the serial numbers of our muskets. The firing
                  demo had to be done in an approximate 5x5 foot area; however, two ACW
                  soldiers couldn't fire due to the SO not being trained in rifled weapons and
                  two Ft. McHenry Guard soldiers cited rules for why they couldn't fire.

                  To clarify what happened at Bladensburg, we had an officers meeting at noon
                  to discuss the battle re-enactment for later that day. The Guard announced
                  that they couldn't fire but would play the part of retreating militia; at
                  3:00, they announced they wouldn't participate at all citing NPS rules.

                  Ed Seufert
                  Royal Marines
                • Roger Fuller
                  Message 8 of 11 , Sep 3, 1999
                    From: Easeufe@... <Easeufe@...>
                    To: warof1812@onelist.com <warof1812@onelist.com>
                    Date: 03 September 1999 00:37
                    Subject: [WarOf1812] New NPS Regs

                    >From: Easeufe@...

                    (snip)
                    >This was just 3 weeks ago and the non-wearing of ear-plugs was not an
                    issue.
                    >We were surprised though when the NPS Black Powder Safety Officer (SO) took
                    >list of our names, SSNs and the serial numbers of our muskets

                    (snip)

                    >Ed Seufert
                    >Royal Marines

                    I'd like to know what branch of the Internal Revenue Service or Social
                    Security Administration this NPS BPSO thought he was also employed
                    by...those are the ONLY two Federal agencies that would legally have any
                    right to demand your social security number. Insurers do NOT need to have
                    your SS#, no matter how much they may whine and complain. Same with state,
                    county and federal law enforcement or motor vehicle departments. They may
                    ask you, but you don't have to give it to them.

                    Next time ask him what law permits him to ask such a sensitive question. SS#
                    misuse is rampant- don't let anybody know it who is not involved with your
                    taxes, paychecks, or retirement funds. It's the law!

                    Better yet, don't even play along- just walk away. That's the loudest
                    protest one can make, besides contacting your senators and representatives.
                    These events sound as if they are potentially more trouble than they are
                    worth. Even up here in Massachusetts, the NPS -so far- haven't pulled
                    anything like this.

                    Roger Fuller
                    3/95th (Rifles)