March of the 104th Foot, 1813

  • suthren@magma.ca
    Message 1 of 4 , Jan 21, 2005
      A Thanks to Tommy Atkins' Great-Grandfather

      On this morning in Ottawa, Ontario, where the temperature is minus 29 and the wind chill is minus 42 degrees, I can't help think about the midwinter march of the 104th Regiment of Foot from Fredericton, New Brunswick, to Quebec City, for the most part on foot and snowshoes, to help bolster the thinly-stretched British regulars defending what was called Upper and Lower Canada. What a feat of courage and endurance.

      He wasn't called Tommy Atkins yet. But here's a salute to that frostbitten Brit and his mates who trudged 600 kilometres in these kind of conditions.

      Good on you, mate.

      Vic Suthren
      Ottawa

    • Simon Herdman
      Message 2 of 4 , Jan 21, 2005
        He was British, English, Scots Irish, Welsh, Protestant, Catholic, convict, rogue, Gentleman Volunteer, But above all he was REGIMENTALIST, his Regiment was the best in the whole damn Army, and one thing for certain, he was not going to run from the enemy, or at least, not till the adjacent Regt ran........Which it didn't ....Weve even got a trace of Norman in us (& I dont mean Norman Wisdom)....So Vic, Habite veste or The King's Colours. Don't straddle the fence or the wire may chafe you........

        As a Yorkshireman said; I SAY WHAT I LIKE & I LIKE WHAT I BLOODY WELL SAY.....................NO OFFENCE.............SIR
        God Save Canada..........God Save the Queen (King )
        PS...............I am an Englishman speaking...my side of the pond

        I understand it is rather chilly, lets hope your humour warms up faster than your climate.
        HONESTLY no offence intended.................this is English Humour (my style anyway)
        I am sure you'll give me a verbal caning...for starters......c'est la vie
        thren@... wrote:
        A Thanks to Tommy Atkins' Great-Grandfather

        On this morning in Ottawa, Ontario, where the temperature is minus 29 and the wind chill is minus 42 degrees, I can't help think about the midwinter march of the 104th Regiment of Foot from Fredericton, New Brunswick, to Quebec City, for the most part on foot and snowshoes, to help bolster the thinly-stretched British regulars defending what was called Upper and Lower Canada. What a feat of courage and endurance.

        He wasn't called Tommy Atkins yet. But here's a salute to that frostbitten Brit and his mates who trudged 600 kilometres in these kind of conditions.

        Good on you, mate.

        Vic Suthren
        Ottawa

        ---------------------------------
        Crown Forces Unit Listing:
        http://1812crownforces.tripod.com

        American Forces Unit Lisiting
        http://usforces1812.tripod.com

        Message 3 of 4 , Jan 21, 2005
          Dear Simon

          My family were all Yorkshiremen, so I think I understand a bit where you're
          coming from.

          Vic

          > He was British, English, Scots Irish, Welsh, Protestant, Catholic,
          convict, rogue, Gentleman Volunteer, But above all he was REGIMENTALIST,
          his Regiment was the best in the whole damn Army, and one thing for certain,
          he was not going to run from the enemy, or at least, not till the adjacent
          Regt ran........Which it didn't ....Weve even got a trace of Norman in us
          (& I dont mean Norman Wisdom)....So Vic, Habite veste or The King's
          Colours. Don't straddle the fence or the wire may chafe you........

          > As a Yorkshireman said; I SAY WHAT I LIKE & I LIKE WHAT I BLOODY
          WELL SAY.....................NO OFFENCE.............SIR
          > God Save Canada..........God Save the Queen (King )
          > PS...............I am an Englishman speaking...my side of the pond
          >
          > I understand it is rather chilly, lets hope your humour warms up faster
          than your climate.
          > HONESTLY no offence intended.................this is English Humour (my
          style anyway)
          > I am sure you'll give me a verbal caning...for starters......c'est la vie
          > thren@... wrote:
          > A Thanks to Tommy Atkins' Great-Grandfather
          >
          > On this morning in Ottawa, Ontario, where the temperature is minus 29 and
          the wind chill is minus 42 degrees, I can't help think about the midwinter
          march of the 104th Regiment of Foot from Fredericton, New Brunswick, to
          Quebec City, for the most part on foot and snowshoes, to help bolster the
          thinly-stretched British regulars defending what was called Upper and Lower
          Canada. What a feat of courage and endurance.

          > He wasn't called Tommy Atkins yet. But here's a salute to that frostbitten
          Brit and his mates who trudged 600 kilometres in these kind of conditions.

          > Good on you, mate.
          >
          > Vic Suthren
          > Ottawa

          square miles...

        • BritcomHMP@aol.com
          Message 4 of 4 , Jan 21, 2005
            In a message dated 1/21/05 9:43:04 PM, suthren@... writes:

            > My family were all Yorkshiremen, so I think I understand a bit where you're
            > coming from.

            Vic! I never knew, so you are doubtless familiar with our motto:

            'ere all see all, say nowt,
            eat all sup all, pay nowt,
            an' if ever tha does owt for nowt,
            allus do it for thisen!

            (whose family has been knocking about Yorkshire for the past 600 years)