Re: Sharpe's Trifles

  • NINETY3RD@xxx.xxx
    Message 1 of 2 , Nov 3, 1998
      In a message dated 03/11/1998 7:58:44 AM, fullerfamily@... wrote:

      >From Cope's 1877 "History of the Rifle Brigade", at New
      >
      >Orleans (finally an 1812 reference!!) American troops calling out in the
      >
      >night tried to get the 3/95th to desert- without result, and in some cases,
      >
      >with their officers' approval (esp. after they discovered how dirty the
      >
      >Americans fought!!), they answered these blandishments with well-aimed rifle
      >
      >shots!

      Oh joy! MY favourite topic! New Orleans! (oh no, everyone says, don't get him
      started...)
      Roger's bit above is quite true though, and I always like to add the 95th into
      any discussion of New Orleans that pops up, as it usually includes all the old
      myths and outright lies the battle and its orators immediately after spawned
      and enlarged.
      Few ever seem to know about the 500 men of the 3/95th at N.O. and the role
      they played. I always find it amusing to hear again and again about them thar
      crack backwoods riflemen perching atop the parapet to get a better shot at the
      British.....yeah right, if any such had been idiot enough to do so he was
      probably one of the US casualties on Jan. 8 and probably hit by a shot from
      one of the 95th, who were deployed out front in skirmish order and got into
      the ditch and were digging steps into the parapet with their sword bayonets!

      Cheers!
      Benton