Boundries of the Niagara frontier

  • Mark Ibbotson
    Message 1 of 2 , Jan 5, 2005
      Happy new year all

      What were the boundries of the Niagara frontier during 1812-14.

      Does/ did the region spread as far west as Detroit between Lakes Huron and Erie and to the east to the Niagara river between Lakes Ontario and Erie.

      How far north did it go, Did it cut off between Lakes Huron and Ontario?

      Cheers

      Ibbo

      Sign-up for Ads Free at Mail.com
      http://promo.mail.com/adsfreejump.htm
    • ray hobbs
      Message 2 of 2 , Jan 5, 2005
        Mark:
        I think that the term "Niagara frontier" is a later notion created by
        historians to make sense of the events of the war. I do not recall
        reading it in any of the documents I have read about the war which were
        written by participants.
        The administrative District of Niagara, covered approximately the
        Niagara Peninsula - from the Niagara River to Grimsby (The "Forty").
        But this was formalized after the war, probably by about 1820.
        Other districts in "Upper Canada West" (also a later term), included
        Home District
        Gore District
        Wellington District
        Brock District
        Talbot District
        London District
        Western District
        Strictly speaking, I believe the term "Niagara Frontier" is generally
        reserved by historians to the forts and outposts along the Niagara
        River.
        The British Army was understood to be divided into "Divisions", Left,
        Centre and Right.
        Originally the Left Division extended from Kingston to the east, the
        Centre was concentrated around the town of York and the Head of the
        Lake and to Niagara. The Centre Division also had responsibility for
        the area west of the Head of the Lake to Brant's Ford and south to Long
        Point; the Right Division was concentrated in the western region around
        Sandwich, Amherstburg and occasionally across the border to Detroit.
        After the loss of the Western region in October 1813, the designations
        changed, and the Centre became the Right, the Left became the Centre
        and everything east of that into Quebec, became the Left.
        There, 'tis that simple.
        Good wishes
        Ray Hobbs
        41st Regt.

        On Wednesday, January 5, 2005, at 05:49 AM, Mark Ibbotson wrote:

        > Happy new year all
        >
        > What were the boundries of the Niagara frontier during 1812-14.
        >
        > Does/ did the region spread as far west as Detroit between Lakes Huron
        > and Erie and to the east to the Niagara river between Lakes Ontario
        > and Erie.
        >
        > How far north did it go, Did it cut off between Lakes Huron and
        > Ontario?
        >
        > Cheers
        >
        > Ibbo
        >

        > --