Re: [WarOf1812] Mess Traditions

  • Kevin Windsor
    Message 1 of 2 , Jan 4, 2005
      From the U.S. Navy Regulations of 1990.

      Article 1064
      1. Petty officers and non commissioned officers shall not be detailed to
      perform mess duties except when non rated personnel are not available.
      Article 1158
      1. Meals served in the general mess shall be smapled by an officer detailed
      by the commanding officer for that purpose. Should he or she find the
      quality of quantity of food unsatisfactory, or shouls any member of the mess
      object to the quality or quantity of the food the commanding officer shall
      be notified and shall take appropriate action.
      2. No person employed in the service of the general mess shall receive any
      compensation from persons entitled to subsist in the mess.

      It seems that all naval mess traditions of the USN died in 1914 (or 1917?)
      when alcohol was banned on ships at sea. It was (again) left up to the USMC
      to save their @## by carrrying on the dining in on land.

      I had the chance to go to a US Army dining in (in Canada no less) where I
      was made an honorary member of the 2/5th INF who trace their lineage to the
      21st Reg't US INF who capture the guns at Lundy's Lane. We ate on the
      battlefield about 200 yards from where the Reg't captured the guns. (I even
      got to touch the battle streamers!) It was quite a different affair from the
      formal Officer's Messes of the Cdn Army. The mess included Officers and
      NCOs and number twos, not dressy, but I was more than honoured to be a part
      of it.
    • Kevin Windsor
      Message 2 of 2 , Jan 4, 2005
        In case anyone was interested in reading the 1990 USN Regulations (hey I am
        sure someone else out there will read them) they can be found at:

        http://neds.daps.dla.mil/Directives/regs/contents.pdf

        enjoy