Passing Port or Mess Traditions

  • lalozon
    Message 1 of 7 , Jan 4, 2005
      From: "Bob Dorian" <dancingbobd@...>

      L2 & all,

      " ... There was a "cocktail hour" before we were seated for dinner,
      but no after dinner passing of anything ...That might explain a lack
      of "passing the port" traditions in the US Army.

      Mr. Dorian

      There may be a lack of "passing the port" traditions in the US Army
      but I think we have possibly started a tradition of "Passing the Almond
      Sherry" ! :^)

      Yrs.,

      L2
    • dancingbobd@webtv.net
      Message 2 of 7 , Jan 4, 2005
        L2 wrote:

        "Passing the Almond Sherry."

        Mr. Dorian responds:

        I'll drinksh to thaaat, (hick. blush, &C)

        Regards,

        Bob
      • lalozon
        Message 3 of 7 , Jan 5, 2005
          From: "Robert White" <whiteesq@...>

          While the U. S. Army may have no formal mess traditions, the same can not be
          said for the U.S. Marine Corps. The Corps has a very formal ceremony called
          a "Mess Night". It is not just for but is primarily used by officers and
          upper level NCO's but can be used by any outfit and is quite often when
          deployment orders are received.

          Mr. White,

          I am confused as usual ............

          Is this the U.S. Marine Corps 1812 or today?

          Yrs

          L2
        • Robert White
          Message 4 of 7 , Jan 5, 2005
            L2 - Today and for some time back I'll have to look it up in my NCO manual or go on line to the official Marine Corps Manual if they give a date for the beginning of the tradition and where they got it from particularly seeing as some of the required music is from our British allies and friends. In fact, there are several traditions in the Corps prevalent even today which can be seen to be derivatives of the Royal Marines. Writer was writing about todays customs for the U.S. Army. Sorry for the confusion. Bob White

            lalozon <lalozon@...> wrote:From: "Robert White" <whiteesq@...>

            While the U. S. Army may have no formal mess traditions, the same can not be
            said for the U.S. Marine Corps. The Corps has a very formal ceremony called
            a "Mess Night". It is not just for but is primarily used by officers and
            upper level NCO's but can be used by any outfit and is quite often when
            deployment orders are received.

            Mr. White,

            I am confused as usual ............

            Is this the U.S. Marine Corps 1812 or today?

            Yrs

            L2

            ---------------------------------
            Crown Forces Unit Listing:
            http://1812crownforces.tripod.com

            American Forces Unit Lisiting
            http://usforces1812.tripod.com

            Message 5 of 7 , Jan 5, 2005
              L2,

              Maybe some almond sherry would clear up the confusion. Or at least it
              wouldn't bother you very much. ; ^ )

              Cpt. Gratiot
            • lalozon
              Message 6 of 7 , Jan 5, 2005
                From: "Robert White" <whiteesq@...>

                L2 - Today and for some time back ......
                Sorry for the confusion.

                Sir,

                I am an old man .......

                Go slow, explain completely ............. ta ta

                Yrs.,

                L2
              • Robert R. White, Esq.
                Message 7 of 7 , Jan 5, 2005
                  Ah yes, I see. However, your disclaimer L2 only brought to my mind
                  the fable of the sly fox rather than that of an old confused man.
                  You did make me do some limited research into what I was talking
                  about. And for those who might be interested here is what I found.
                  The present formality of the United States Marine Corps "Mess Night"
                  probably goes back to the later 1920's (post US prohibition) but
                  existed in modified form at least from the 1800's and derived from as
                  one would guess "Naval" traditions of dining in. The current
                  ceremony is alleged to have come about as a result of an association
                  of the 4th Marines in China with the Second Battalion of the Scots
                  Guards also in Shanghai. After a number of "associations", it was
                  the bandsmen of the Green Howards who taught the Marine musicians to
                  play the music used. The custom of mess nights and formal dining
                  in ebbed and flowed. However, further "associations" with the Argyll
                  and Sutherland Highlanders, the Royal Inniskilling Fusiliers and the
                  Royal Ulster Rifles fanned the flames of tradition for the Corps. It
                  was not until 1952 that "A mess night in strict compliance with the
                  British tradition" became codified during the Commandancy of General
                  Lemuel Shepherd who when a mere Lieutenant had observed the
                  ceremonies in China referenced above. The event "remains wedded to a
                  scenario gleaned from our British cousins. Even the popular
                  tradition of parading of the beef or main course for approval by the
                  President of the Mess is found in the rich martial traditions of
                  British miltary lore. The band of the Royal Berkshires always
                  paraded the main course to the thumping of a Russian drum captured
                  during the Crimean War." The song played is, of course, "The Roast
                  Beef of Old England" during this parade. While more is available, I
                  think I bore. Nevertheless, tradition both yours and ours continues
                  today in the U.S. Marine Corps including "passing the port". Of
                  course, officially and to be politically correct this is a "social"
                  event and attendance is not required nor can it be compelled.

                  L2 thank you for the incentive with your question to look up
                  something that I new only a little about and now know much more. Bob
                  White 1812 Marine aboard Constitution.