Re: [WarOf1812] Passing Port or Mess Traditions was Christmas Cheer

  • Robert White
    Message 1 of 7 , Jan 4, 2005
      While the U. S. Army may have no formal mess traditions, the same can not be said for the U.S. Marine Corps. The Corps has a very formal ceremony called a "Mess Night". It is not just for but is primarily used by officers and upper level NCO's but can be used by any outfit and is quite often when deployment orders are received. Everything is choreographed from the positions in the mess where various participants should sit, to the music to be played and when it should be played and what it should be, what should be said and when and what should be served and when. The affair is usually formal attire with full dress blue uniform or dress mess uniform, medals, etc. It is actually part of the Marine Corps Manual. Pv.t R.R. White, 1812 US Marine Guard on board Constitution (Sgt. USMC 1961-1967)

      dancingbobd@... wrote:L2 & all,

      When I was on active duty [1966-68] I was not in a regimental type of
      unit. When I was part of the OCS Brigade at Aberdeen Proving Ground
      there were "Dinning In" dinners at the Officers Open Mess [Officers Club
      on post]. There was a "cocktail hour" before we were seated for dinner,
      but no after dinner passing of anything.

      I can't report on the combat forces traditions, but since the early
      federal period the US did it's best to eliminate the the perceived
      "trappings" of the British system of titles and aristocracy. The US
      Army had no tradition of officers coming only from the upper classes and
      were proud of that. That might explain a lack of "passing the port"
      traditions in the US Army.

      Regards,

      Bob Dorian
      Independence, MO
      [Former Cap't. US Army Ordnance Corps]

      ---------------------------------
      Crown Forces Unit Listing:
      http://1812crownforces.tripod.com

      American Forces Unit Lisiting
      http://usforces1812.tripod.com

    • Robert White
      Message 2 of 7 , Jan 4, 2005
        There are no "ex Marines" unless you were dishonorably discharged. Once you earn the title, you are one of two things either a Marine or a dead Marine. :-)) Pvt. R.White

        BritcomHMP@... wrote:
        In a message dated 04/01/2005 16:01:53 Central Standard Time,
        dancingbobd@... writes:

        I can't report on the combat forces traditions, but since the early
        federal period the US did it's best to eliminate the the perceived
        "trappings" of the British system of titles and aristocracy. The US
        Army had no tradition of officers coming only from the upper classes and
        were proud of that. That might explain a lack of "passing the port"
        traditions in the US Army.

        Ah! Great to be in a land where sons do not follow fathers as head of state,
        where there are no political/aristocratic dynasties and where no one ever
        wants to try to impress you with their ancestry.

        From an old copy of the Smithsonian magazine

        The DARlings twitter like starlings
        reciting their ancestors names
        As off and aloof with looks of reproof
        sit the Colonial Dames

        The Cincinatti all merry and chatty
        dangle their medals and pendants
        While silent and proud disdaining the crowd
        stand the Mayflower Decendants!

        The other day after having lunch with former Congresswoman 'Lindy'Boggs I
        mentioned to an ex Marine friend of mine how charming she is, 'yes' he replied,
        'and a collateral decendant of the first governor of the State, but of course
        we don't have an aristocracy!'