Re: [WarOf1812] Passing Port or Mess Traditions was Christmas Cheer

  • dancingbobd@webtv.net
    Message 1 of 7 , Jan 4, 2005
      Tim,

      Thanks, I needed that!

      Vic,

      Well said! Better than I did.

      Regards,

      Bob
      [Make that just plain Bob!]
    • Robert White
      Message 2 of 7 , Jan 4, 2005
        While the U. S. Army may have no formal mess traditions, the same can not be said for the U.S. Marine Corps. The Corps has a very formal ceremony called a "Mess Night". It is not just for but is primarily used by officers and upper level NCO's but can be used by any outfit and is quite often when deployment orders are received. Everything is choreographed from the positions in the mess where various participants should sit, to the music to be played and when it should be played and what it should be, what should be said and when and what should be served and when. The affair is usually formal attire with full dress blue uniform or dress mess uniform, medals, etc. It is actually part of the Marine Corps Manual. Pv.t R.R. White, 1812 US Marine Guard on board Constitution (Sgt. USMC 1961-1967)

        dancingbobd@... wrote:L2 & all,

        When I was on active duty [1966-68] I was not in a regimental type of
        unit. When I was part of the OCS Brigade at Aberdeen Proving Ground
        there were "Dinning In" dinners at the Officers Open Mess [Officers Club
        on post]. There was a "cocktail hour" before we were seated for dinner,
        but no after dinner passing of anything.

        I can't report on the combat forces traditions, but since the early
        federal period the US did it's best to eliminate the the perceived
        "trappings" of the British system of titles and aristocracy. The US
        Army had no tradition of officers coming only from the upper classes and
        were proud of that. That might explain a lack of "passing the port"
        traditions in the US Army.

        Regards,

        Bob Dorian
        Independence, MO
        [Former Cap't. US Army Ordnance Corps]

        ---------------------------------
        Crown Forces Unit Listing:
        http://1812crownforces.tripod.com

        American Forces Unit Lisiting
        http://usforces1812.tripod.com

      • Robert White
        Message 3 of 7 , Jan 4, 2005
          There are no "ex Marines" unless you were dishonorably discharged. Once you earn the title, you are one of two things either a Marine or a dead Marine. :-)) Pvt. R.White

          BritcomHMP@... wrote:
          In a message dated 04/01/2005 16:01:53 Central Standard Time,
          dancingbobd@... writes:

          I can't report on the combat forces traditions, but since the early
          federal period the US did it's best to eliminate the the perceived
          "trappings" of the British system of titles and aristocracy. The US
          Army had no tradition of officers coming only from the upper classes and
          were proud of that. That might explain a lack of "passing the port"
          traditions in the US Army.

          Ah! Great to be in a land where sons do not follow fathers as head of state,
          where there are no political/aristocratic dynasties and where no one ever
          wants to try to impress you with their ancestry.

          From an old copy of the Smithsonian magazine

          The DARlings twitter like starlings
          reciting their ancestors names
          As off and aloof with looks of reproof
          sit the Colonial Dames

          The Cincinatti all merry and chatty
          dangle their medals and pendants
          While silent and proud disdaining the crowd
          stand the Mayflower Decendants!

          The other day after having lunch with former Congresswoman 'Lindy'Boggs I
          mentioned to an ex Marine friend of mine how charming she is, 'yes' he replied,
          'and a collateral decendant of the first governor of the State, but of course
          we don't have an aristocracy!'