RE: [WarOf1812] Off Topic Request.

  • Anderson, Mike W.
    Message 1 of 12 , Jan 3, 2005
      Hello Peter,

      A couple of suggestions for Civil War reading:

      Robert E. Lee - by Emory M. Thomas - (1995)
      Jefferson Davis: The Man and His Hour - by William C. Davis - (1991)

      This is just the tip of a very large iceberg. One could spend a lifetime
      reading about the War between the States - from someone silly enough to
      try...

      Mike Anderson
      Glengarry Light Infantry
      Toronto

      Message 2 of 12 , Jan 4, 2005
        --- In WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com, "Peter Catley" <peter.catley@b...>
        wrote:

        In particular I'm looking for a
        > recommendation of a biography of General R.E.Lee. I've just
        finished Burke
        > Davis' "Gray Fox" but that ends with the surrender at Appomattox,
        what
        > happens afterwards? He lived another five years and........!!

        There was a book out about twenty years ago called "Lee: The Last
        Years" by Charles Bracelen Flood. I haven't read it, but I remember
        it getting quite a bit of acclaim, and as the title suggests, it
        focuses on those years after the war when he was at Washington & Lee
        University (then Washington College). I think at the time it was a
        Book of the Month Club selection and best seller. I see from Amazon
        that it is still in print.