Off Topic Request.

  • Peter Catley
    Message 1 of 12 , Jan 3, 2005
      My apologies for this request, please bear with me but you guys are the only
      trusted connections I have into the history of events over the pond. I've
      recently finished re-reading Shelby Foote's Civil War masterpiece and I am
      very interested in some of the Characters. In particular I'm looking for a
      recommendation of a biography of General R.E.Lee. I've just finished Burke
      Davis' "Gray Fox" but that ends with the surrender at Appomattox, what
      happens afterwards? He lived another five years and........!!

      Also if anyone has any recommendations regarding good biographies of
      Jefferson Davis I'd be delighted to hear them. I'm not particularily
      Confederate orientated, its just that our history tends to be taught from
      the Unionist angle and I'm interested in otherside of the events.

      Again apologies for being off topic.

      Cheers

      P**

    • Anderson, Mike W.
      Message 2 of 12 , Jan 3, 2005
        Hello Peter,

        A couple of suggestions for Civil War reading:

        Robert E. Lee - by Emory M. Thomas - (1995)
        Jefferson Davis: The Man and His Hour - by William C. Davis - (1991)

        This is just the tip of a very large iceberg. One could spend a lifetime
        reading about the War between the States - from someone silly enough to
        try...

        Mike Anderson
        Glengarry Light Infantry
        Toronto

[...]

        The War of 1812: In Europe, thousands fought over the fate of hundreds
        of square miles: in North America, hundreds determined the fate of
        THOUSANDS of square miles...

        Message 3 of 12 , Jan 4, 2005
          --- In WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com, "Peter Catley" <peter.catley@b...>
          wrote:

          In particular I'm looking for a
          > recommendation of a biography of General R.E.Lee. I've just
          finished Burke
          > Davis' "Gray Fox" but that ends with the surrender at Appomattox,
          what
          > happens afterwards? He lived another five years and........!!

          There was a book out about twenty years ago called "Lee: The Last
          Years" by Charles Bracelen Flood. I haven't read it, but I remember
          it getting quite a bit of acclaim, and as the title suggests, it
          focuses on those years after the war when he was at Washington & Lee
          University (then Washington College). I think at the time it was a
          Book of the Month Club selection and best seller. I see from Amazon
          that it is still in print.