Re: Re: [WarOf1812] Passing the Port (was Christmas Cheer)

  • Peter Monahan
    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 1, 2005
      I understand from Gord Laco that he did in fact persuade the Master and Commander people to take the cloth off the table and so on in approved RN fashion but that after a couple takes the director nixed that bit because it "took too much time" and conveyed nothing to the general public who haven't our fine eye for tradition.

      My tuppence worth,
      Peter Monahan
      From: "PEGGY MATHEWS" <ciefranche21e@...>
      Date: 2004/12/31 Fri PM 05:12:58 EST
      To: <WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com>
      Subject: Re: [WarOf1812] Christmas Cheer

      Perhaps they are drawn from the books (which I haven't read) like the beat to quarters variation from the norm, which I'm told is lifted as a quirk of "Lucky Jack" from the books. As for the port, we always had the understanding that once started about it was very bad form to set it down till it had been all the way around or was emptied. Perhaps I am confusing a land tradition?

      Happy New Years to all,

      Michael Mathews