December 31, 2004

  • lalozon
    Message 1 of 2 , Jan 1 11:16 AM
      Congratulations to Raymond and Heather Hobbs (41st Regt.)
      of Hamilton, Ontario, Canada on celebrating their

      38th Wedding Anniversary, December 31, 2004
    • suthren@magma.ca
      Message 2 of 2 , Jan 1 3:15 PM
        Congratulations, and hearty ones, for such success at marriage to Ray and
        Heather.

        Returning to the question of port, I would offer admiration and respect for
        port, but save a deeper affection for that old standby, dark Caribbean rum.
        In 1999 I sailed as a crewman in HM Bark Endeavour, the 1768 replica of
        James Cook's ship, from Vancouver BC to Hawai'i. 120 miles off the Oregom
        Coast we were hit by a Force 10 at night that led to seemingly endless
        confused and terrifying hours. I recall only being frightened out of my
        wits, being wet and cold, barfing to leeward on (I think) the maintopsail
        yard, having my hands put on lines to haul on since it was too dark to see,
        and finally receiving a clout in the head from a whiplashing staysail sheet
        that laid me in the scuppers with a lacerated brow (and the Bosun muttering
        at me that 'there was too bloody much to do for me to be bloody laying
        about'). When the watch was finally sent below I landed, a shaking wreck, at
        the foot of the main companionway. Even though Endeavour was (and is) a
        'dry' ship, a tin mug of a double tot of rum was somehow thrust into my hand
        by someone and I quaffed it. The world became calm; my fear eased; I could
        breathe
        again; and the warmth in my stomach kept me aglow and functioning until I
        crawled into my sodden hammock---wet through---and slept. Celebrate port all
        ye want, lads, but for this thankful soul, RUM has almost biblical status...
        Vic
        > Congratulations to Raymond and Heather Hobbs (41st Regt.)
        > of Hamilton, Ontario, Canada on celebrating their
        >
        > 38th Wedding Anniversary, December 31, 2004

        square miles...