Re: Facial hair revisited

  • glifencible
    Message 1 of 2 , Dec 29, 2004
      The folowing is part of Bell's bio...

      At the battle of Waterloo (June 18, 1815), Bell operated on the
      wounded until "his clothes were stiff with blood and his arms
      powerless with the exertion of using the knife". It was at Waterloo he
      produced the oil paintings and etchings of gunshot wounds now on
      display in the custody of the Royal College of Surgeons of Edinburgh.
      About a soldier Bell painted, but did not operate upon himself, he
      wrote: "The ball struck the head of the humerus, and shattered it,
      passed through and wounded a rib. It was resolved to amputate at the
      shoulder joint. It was reported to me that the patient sunk from loss
      of blood. I thought myself entitled to say that the method followed by
      our army surgeons was too bold, and not suited to common practice, and
      especially in a case like this, when the patient was reduced by a
      complication in the wound."

      --- In WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com, "J.Bruce Whittaker" <ortheris@r...>