Re: [WarOf1812] re: Christmas Cheer

  • abateman
    Message 1 of 19 , Dec 28, 2004
      I've tried the Olera port, and it surprised me: it was almost as good as the
      stuff from Portugal at 2/3 of the price. It's certainly miles better than
      Bright's or any of your other cheap domestic ports, which I won't touch.
      I'm a fan of the dark ruby style like Warre's, Fonseca, and Taylor Fladgate,
      and IIRC the Olera is similar to that. Save yourself a trip to the LCBO and
      go ahead and drink it. (There's also an Olera sherry out there that I
      haven't tried yet - anyone have any opinions on it?)

      The Macallan is magnificent. It's one of the classic Speyside style malts,
      with a strong sherry flavour. Don't let ice cubes anywhere near it. Pour a
      shot of it, add just a small dash of cold spring water, and sip it slowly.

      Andrew Bateman, 41st Foot

      Message 2 of 19 , Dec 28, 2004
        Bruce

        There are no bad ports, only bad sailors! Or did I mean "Never look a gift bottle in the screwtop."? Can't remember. Must have been the brandy. Have a safe but liquid New Year!

        Peter M.

        Message 3 of 19 , Dec 28, 2004
          The Macallan is magnificent. It's one of the classic Speyside style malts,
          with a strong sherry flavour. Don't let ice cubes anywhere near it. Pour a
          shot of it, add just a small dash of cold spring water, and sip it slowly.

          Andrew Bateman, 41st Foot
          Sacrilage Sir. It just ain't done to add anythin' to a single malt.

          Says he as the butler opens another bottle of Islay malt, this time, Laphroaig.

          Squire John

          ---------------------------------
          Crown Forces Unit Listing:
          http://1812crownforces.tripod.com

          American Forces Unit Lisiting
          http://usforces1812.tripod.com

          Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

        • Five Rivers
          Message 4 of 19 , Dec 28, 2004
            FYI, I'm am informed by that real port can only be acquired from a Portuguese winery, specifically from the Duro River Valley. All others are a 'port-style wine', but not, in fact, real port.

            In search of good, bona fide port, Gary recently purchased a lovely port, Dela Force. Wonderful port.

            Regards
            Lorina
            fine hand-sewn embroidered garments, historical sewing patterns & embroidery supplies
            (519) 799-5577, http://www.5rivers.org email: info@...

          • ray hobbs
            Message 5 of 19 , Dec 28, 2004
              Lorina et al:
              I recently received a gift from the lads of the 41st of Ferreira Port,
              from the Duoro region of Portugal. It is a superb port wine, and highly
              recommended.
              Ah, the advantages of rank!
              Ray Hobbs
              CO 41st Regt
              Hamilton.

              On Tuesday, December 28, 2004, at 06:15 PM, Five Rivers wrote:

              > ��� FYI, I'm am informed by that real port can only be acquired from a
              > Portuguese winery, specifically from the Duro River Valley. All others
              > are a 'port-style wine', but not, in fact, real port.
              >
              > ��� In search of good, bona fide port, Gary recently purchased a
              > lovely port, Dela Force. Wonderful port.
              >
              > Regards
              > Lorina
              > Five Rivers Chapmanry ~ purveyors of quality hand-crafted cooperage
              > fine hand-sewn embroidered garments, historical sewing patterns &
              > embroidery supplies
              > (519) 799-5577, http://www.5rivers.org� email: info@...

              > THOUSANDS of square miles...

              > �� ---------------------------------
              > Crown Forces Unit Listing:
              > http://1812crownforces.tripod.com
              >
              > American Forces Unit Lisiting
              > http://usforces1812.tripod.com

              <image.tiff>

              <image.tiff>

              > Yahoo! Groups Links

              > �
              > �

            • J.Bruce Whittaker
              Message 6 of 19 , Dec 28, 2004
                Greetings List,
                Thank you for the replies to my Port and Scotch questions. Actually
                the Scotch was a no brainer. A Single Malt from Scotland... of course
                I will keep it. I am not much of a Port drinker but will keep it to
                share. Thanks again to everyone.
                Be seeing you,
                Bruce Whittaker
              • lalozon
                Message 7 of 19 , Dec 31, 2004
                  From: "J.Bruce Whittaker" <ortheris@...>

                  " ... I received a bottle of Port, it is a Canadian Port, Olera Sola Nero.
                  Any opinions?
                  ..."any Port in a storm" right Mr. Lozon.;) I also have a bottle of
                  Scotch,The Macallan.
                  Again any opinions one way or another?

                  -----------

                  Mr. Whittaker

                  Sir, I highly recommend that you 'DO NOT DRINK' these
                  but rather forward them directly to me for immediate disposal ......

                  Yrs,

                  L2
                • dancingbobd@webtv.net
                  Message 8 of 19 , Dec 31, 2004
                    L2,

                    It is so kind to offer this kind of "disposal" service free of charge!

                    YH&OS,

                    Gratiot
                    US Engineer
                  • lalozon
                    Message 9 of 19 , Dec 31, 2004
                      From: "Five Rivers" <lgsteph@...>

                      "... I'm am informed by that real port can only be acquired from a
                      Portuguese winery,
                      specifically from the Duro River Valley. All others are a 'port-style wine',
                      but not, in fact,
                      real port.

                      ------------------------

                      My Dear Lady Lorina,

                      Having been watching "The Thirsty Traveller" on Food Network Canada
                      www.foodtv.ca over the Holiday Season

                      They have informed me that this only works with 'Champagne'

                      Enjoying Stilton Cheese and PAARL South African 'Ruby' Port on this last day
                      of 2004

                      Yrs.,

                      L2
                    • Five Rivers
                      Message 10 of 19 , Dec 31, 2004
                        Warm felicitations to my dear Lord Lozon,

                        The information I imparted came from:

                        http://www.intowine.com/port.html

                        There is a wealth of information here you may find of interest.

                        As always, and etc., I remain

                        Message 11 of 19 , Dec 31, 2004
                          From: "Lorina" <lgsteph@...>

                          "... The information I imparted came from:

                          http://www.intowine.com/port.html

                          -------------

                          My Dear Lady Lorina,

                          I do think that I should test all libations
                          to see if they have in fact been labelled correctly ......

                          Sherry, Port, Whiskey, Whisky, Gin, etc. ... it is all in the tasting!

                          We are going across the street to a neighbourhood New Years Party tonight
                          and my loving wife Brenda is the "Designated-Walker" to get me back home
                          :*)

                          I sure hope the bottles are correctly labelled,
                          better taste all to be sure!

                          Switching to Almond Sherry now (Canadian not Spanish) and raising a glass
                          to friends in Virginia as a start to the tasting .......

                          Yrs.,

                          L2
                        • suthren@magma.ca
                          Message 12 of 19 , Dec 31, 2004
                            Did anybody catch that in 'Master and Commander' the mess dinner scene had
                            the port being served with the cloth still on the table (horror!) and no
                            plates etc. removed, and further, it was being handed around, not slid(even
                            more horror!), a veritable catechism of historical no-nos? Do I nitpick?

                            Vic
                            > "... I'm am informed by that real port can only be acquired from a
                            > Portuguese winery,
                            > specifically from the Duro River Valley. All others are a 'port-style
                            wine',
                            > but not, in fact,
                            > real port.
                            >
                            > ------------------------
                            >

                            > My Dear Lady Lorina,
                            >

                            > Having been watching "The Thirsty Traveller" on Food Network Canada
                            > www.foodtv.ca over the Holiday Season
                            >
                            > They have informed me that this only works with 'Champagne'
                            >

                            > Enjoying Stilton Cheese and PAARL South African 'Ruby' Port on this last
                            day
                            > of 2004
                            >

                            > Yrs.,
                            >
                            > L2

                            square miles...

                          • PEGGY MATHEWS
                            Message 13 of 19 , Dec 31, 2004
                              Perhaps they are drawn from the books (which I haven't read) like the beat to quarters variation from the norm, which I'm told is lifted as a quirk of "Lucky Jack" from the books. As for the port, we always had the understanding that once started about it was very bad form to set it down till it had been all the way around or was emptied. Perhaps I am confusing a land tradition?

                              Happy New Years to all,

                              Michael Mathews

                              > "... I'm am informed by that real port can only be acquired from a
                              > Portuguese winery,
                              > specifically from the Duro River Valley. All others are a 'port-style
                              wine',
                              > but not, in fact,
                              > real port.
                              >
                              > ------------------------
                              >

                              > My Dear Lady Lorina,
                              >

                              > Having been watching "The Thirsty Traveller" on Food Network Canada
                              > www.foodtv.ca<http://www.foodtv.ca/> over the Holiday Season
                              >
                              > They have informed me that this only works with 'Champagne'
                              >

                              > Enjoying Stilton Cheese and PAARL South African 'Ruby' Port on this last
                              day
                              > of 2004
                              >

                              > Yrs.,
                              >
                              > L2

                              square miles...

                            • dancingbobd@webtv.net
                              Message 14 of 19 , Dec 31, 2004
                                Yes Vic, we spent almost 3 weeks ripping the movie apart. I repeat IT
                                IS JUST A MOVIE!!!!!!!

                                Bob
                                [Never a member of the RN]
                              • J.Bruce Whittaker
                                Message 15 of 19 , Dec 31, 2004
                                  Mr Lozon wrote:
                                  "Sir, I highly recommend that you 'DO NOT DRINK' these
                                  but rather forward them directly to me for immediate disposal ......"

                                  Dear Sir,
                                  I see that you have now added comedian to your list of talents. :)
                                  I will pack the Port into my reenacting gear and come visiting one
                                  evening.
                                  Best regards to you Sir, your family and all members of the list and
                                  reenacting community. Happy New Year!
                                  Bruce Whittaker
                                • suthren@magma.ca
                                  Message 16 of 19 , Dec 31, 2004
                                    Okay. Gotcha. Guess I'm just jealous 'cuz I didn't get to be in it and Gord
                                    Laco did. No fair.
                                    Vic
                                    > Yes Vic, we spent almost 3 weeks ripping the movie apart. I repeat IT
                                    > IS JUST A MOVIE!!!!!!!
                                    >
                                    > Bob
                                    > [Never a member of the RN]

                                    square miles...

                                  • lalozon
                                    Message 17 of 19 , Jan 1, 2005
                                      From: "J.Bruce Whittaker" <ortheris@...>

                                      Mr Lozon wrote:
                                      "Sir, I highly recommend that you 'DO NOT DRINK' these
                                      but rather forward them directly to me for immediate disposal ......"

                                      Dear Sir,
                                      I see that you have now added comedian to your list of talents. :)

                                      ------------------------

                                      Mr. Whittaker

                                      I do not jest, please forward the libation to me at once lest it
                                      leave a bad taste.

                                      Yrs.,

                                      L2

                                      PS: For those who wondered and inquired, Lady Brenda led me home safely in
                                      the wee hours of the morning.
                                      I do remember Regis counting down the seconds as the big ball dropped in
                                      Times Square New York.
                                      The rest is a blurrrrrrrrrr ........ :*)
                                    • J-P Johnson
                                      Message 18 of 19 , Jan 3, 2005
                                        PEGGY MATHEWS wrote:

                                        >Perhaps they are drawn from the books (which I haven't read) like the beat to quarters variation from the norm, which I'm told is lifted as a quirk of "Lucky Jack" from the books. As for the port, we always had the understanding that once started about it was very bad form to set it down till it had been all the way around or was emptied. Perhaps I am confusing a land tradition?
                                        >
                                        >Happy New Years to all,
                                        >
                                        >Michael Mathews

                                        Canadian Air Force-types pass the port without letting it touch the
                                        table. Some of us even hold the glass aloft while pouring. This can
                                        cause a bit of tension at mixed element functions when the zoomies and
                                        the fish-heads are seated side-by-each. The army-types I associate
                                        with either don't seem to have a preference or have a specific
                                        regimental custom.

                                        One of the things I miss after becoming a senior officer is no longer
                                        being able to 'do my duty by the Port' after mess dinners in disposing
                                        of the remaining open bottles with the rest of the junior officers.
                                        More than once we conspired with the stewards to have more bottles
                                        opened than should have been just for our use later that evening. :-)

                                        Cpl J-P Johnson
                                        Bulger's Coy, Royal NFLand Reg't