Re: [WarOf1812] Welsh 'n stuff

  • ray hobbs
    Message 1 of 6 , Dec 7, 2004
      Vic:
      I believe there were very few Welsh Territorials or Volunteer
      Battalions that went to the Boer War.
      I know the 3rd (V) Bn. Welsh Regt. did. Lieut A.H. Hobbs went with
      them, then switched to the 1st Bn. Welsh Regiment.
      He died at the Battle of Loos, on Oct. 2nd, 1915, having made the rank
      of Major. I am trying to cement the connection with my immediate family.

      I suspect that if your g.father's unit was Welsh-speaking, then it is
      possible that they came from North Wales, possibly a Vol. Bn of the RW
      Fusiliers. I don't know which of these went overseas.
      Ray H
      41st Regt.

      On Tuesday, December 7, 2004, at 04:34 PM, <suthren@...> wrote:

      > As a point of interest my grandfather was in a Territorial batallion
      > of one
      > of the Welsh regiments, and his entire company---preparing to take
      > ship for
      > the Boer War---was unilingually Welsh-speaking, including himself. He
      > always
      > told me straight-faced that it was all right, because they had white
      > officers....
      >
      > Vic Suthren

      <image.tiff>

      <image.tiff>

    • suthren@magma.ca
      Message 2 of 6 , Dec 7, 2004
        Right you are, Ray. He was from Pwllheli in Caernarfonshire, and you've
        twigged my memory about him being in a volunteer Bn of the RWF. They
        dis-embarked from the ship when word came of the peace agreement. He later
        emigrated to Canada and worked as a stonecutter in Quebec, learning his
        English from Swedes, Finns, Estonians and French-Canadians. his accent was
        interesting to say the least. He, my mother and two aunts all spoke Welsh
        exclusively at home in Brownburg, Quebec, and French and English outside of
        it. When my mother (who had never been to the UK) finally went at the age of
        62 to Britain and visited Pwllheli, they said she sounded like something out
        of a Victorian novel when she spoke Welsh. I have this odd attraction to
        rugby, singing, and dark pints of whatever's on tap.....

        Yours aye

        square miles...

      • craig w
        Message 3 of 6 , Dec 7, 2004
          > original motto was mistakenly written on some insignia as
          > "Gwell Angau Gwell Chywillydd", which means "Both Death and Dishonour".
          > An unfortunate switch ;-)

          Or they truly were a nasty lot!

        • Peter Catley
          Message 4 of 6 , Dec 7, 2004
            Seriously Vic, I'd concentrate on the Rugby, that where your country needs
            you :-) (I played during the era of Edwards, John and the Williams's and
            constently had my English nose rubbed in the mud, but since the Great
            Victory in 2003 life has been better. Remeber what the All Black leader
            said, "You never beat Wales you merely score more points than them" :-)

            Sorry for being off topic, but the taffs must be faced!!

            Cheers

            P**

            > I believe there were very few Welsh Territorials or Volunteer
            > Battalions that went to the Boer War.
            > I know the 3rd (V) Bn. Welsh Regt. did. Lieut A.H. Hobbs went with
            > them, then switched to the 1st Bn. Welsh Regiment.
            > He died at the Battle of Loos, on Oct. 2nd, 1915, having made the rank
            > of Major. I am trying to cement the connection with my immediate family.
            >
            > I suspect that if your g.father's unit was Welsh-speaking, then it is
            > possible that they came from North Wales, possibly a Vol. Bn of the RW
            > Fusiliers. I don't know which of these went overseas.
            > Ray H
            > 41st Regt.
            >
            > On Tuesday, December 7, 2004, at 04:34 PM, <suthren@...> wrote:
            >
            > > As a point of interest my grandfather was in a Territorial batallion
            > > of one
            > > of the Welsh regiments, and his entire company---preparing to take
            > > ship for
            > > the Boer War---was unilingually Welsh-speaking, including himself. He
            > > always
            > > told me straight-faced that it was all right, because they had white
            > > officers....
            > >
            > > Vic Suthren

            Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

            <http://us.ard.yahoo.com/SIG=129vhvvh3/M=324847.5707096.6763800.3001176/D=gr
            oups/S=1705020536:HM/EXP=1102546320/A=2343726/R=0/SIG=12in1m1eu/*http://clk.
            atdmt.com/VON/go/yhxxxvon01900091von/direct/01/&time=1102459920956452>
            <http://us.ard.yahoo.com/SIG=129vhvvh3/M=324847.5707096.6763800.3001176/D=gr
            oups/S=1705020536:HM/EXP=1102546320/A=2343726/R=1/SIG=12in1m1eu/*http://clk.
            atdmt.com/VON/go/yhxxxvon01900091von/direct/01/&time=1102459920956452>

            Get unlimited calls to

            U.S./Canada

            <http://view.atdmt.com/VON/view/yhxxxvon01900091von/direct/01/&time=11024599
            20956452>