Re: Fw: ......." Vive l'Empereur"!!!!

  • Rick Peterson
    Message 1 of 13 , Dec 6, 2004
      Murph,
      Ya know, I was already working on a response to your inane rant
      before I had even read the last line of your message.
      Instead, I'll save the mud slinging for an offlist chat, perhaps at
      the grand encampment this summer....that is, unless you wish me to
      divulge your "cute lil' nickname" that your mom let slip out a few
      years back :)

      Semper Fi
      Rick P.

      --- In WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com, "Colin" <usmarine1814@y...> wrote:

      > With all this talk about tyrants I wasn't sure if it was bout
      George III

    • suthren@magma.ca
      Message 2 of 13 , Dec 6, 2004
        To add to the conversation, could I observe that the very limited
        parliamentary 'democracy' in the Britain of George the Third joined with an
        increasingly rigid social stratification toward the end of the 18th Century
        to make British society a vastly unfair system which was held together only
        by the reserve and patience of its common people. Revolutionary France, at
        least until the coming of the Consuls and to a degree throughout the
        Napoleonic period, was a Darwinian meritocracy that ironically offered far
        more social equality and a kind of rough but egalitarian mob justice than
        could be found in Britain. It was in the arbitrary French exercise of secret
        police and other powers that the cry of 'Despot!' went up in England, where
        some protection against arbitrary arrest was available. The strain on the
        common British people almost cracked in 1797, however, when the Navy, unable
        to stand the legion of injustices under which they suffered, mutinied and
        might have taken the nation with them had the mutineers not acted for the
        most part with great restraint, and voices like 'Black Dick' Howe stepped in
        to act with reason and common sense. The British aristocracy were lucky to
        not have the whole creaking structure collapse about their ears, and the
        safety valve of the Napoleonic wars allowed them to prevent any redress of
        social injustice until after Waterloo. Even then they fought tooth and nail
        to oppose the Reform Bill of 1832, Wellington leading the charge. One man's
        despot is another's liberator....

        Vic Suthren
        Ottawa
        Message 3 of 13 , Dec 6, 2004
          And to slightly sidetrack the conversation, I was reading of the great
          mutiny just recently and was surprised to find that not only was flogging
          not a grievance, but that the mutiniers continued floggings while in semi
          control. What a wonderful pyschological study that must have made someone.
          ;-) "We're bad, nasty men. We deserves a beating we do..." ;-)

          I was reading at the same time that the younger brother of our more familiar
          Lord Cornwallis deserves a lot of unrecognized credit for the victory in
          1805. That it was through his efforts that the fleet and the blockade was
          maintained, giving the Nelsons of the world the chance to reap the glory.
          Came from an interesting article, at least to me, in the latest issue of
          Military History magazine. "Life as a Jack Tar" or something like that.
          The author's assertion was that even to this day Cornwallis has never been
          given adequate credit for his efforts.

          Opinions?