Re: Absolute rulers - was RE: [WarOf1812] Re: Fw: ......." Vive l'Empereur"!!!!

  • John E Greig
    Message 1 of 13 , Dec 6, 2004
      Micheal Matthews Wrote:

      "In terms of boorish behavior, a cavalier attitude toward the lives of their people, bleed 'em dry with taxes, send out armies for pay or greed or pettiness".

      Sounds a bit like Tony Blair !!!

      Best wishes to all.
      Squire John

      >of square miles...

      ---------------------------------
      Crown Forces Unit Listing:
      http://1812crownforces.tripod.com

      American Forces Unit Lisiting
      http://usforces1812.tripod.com

      Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

    • Rick Peterson
      Message 2 of 13 , Dec 6, 2004
        Murph,
        Ya know, I was already working on a response to your inane rant
        before I had even read the last line of your message.
        Instead, I'll save the mud slinging for an offlist chat, perhaps at
        the grand encampment this summer....that is, unless you wish me to
        divulge your "cute lil' nickname" that your mom let slip out a few
        years back :)

        Semper Fi
        Rick P.

        --- In WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com, "Colin" <usmarine1814@y...> wrote:

        > With all this talk about tyrants I wasn't sure if it was bout
        George III

      • suthren@magma.ca
        Message 3 of 13 , Dec 6, 2004
          To add to the conversation, could I observe that the very limited
          parliamentary 'democracy' in the Britain of George the Third joined with an
          increasingly rigid social stratification toward the end of the 18th Century
          to make British society a vastly unfair system which was held together only
          by the reserve and patience of its common people. Revolutionary France, at
          least until the coming of the Consuls and to a degree throughout the
          Napoleonic period, was a Darwinian meritocracy that ironically offered far
          more social equality and a kind of rough but egalitarian mob justice than
          could be found in Britain. It was in the arbitrary French exercise of secret
          police and other powers that the cry of 'Despot!' went up in England, where
          some protection against arbitrary arrest was available. The strain on the
          common British people almost cracked in 1797, however, when the Navy, unable
          to stand the legion of injustices under which they suffered, mutinied and
          might have taken the nation with them had the mutineers not acted for the
          most part with great restraint, and voices like 'Black Dick' Howe stepped in
          to act with reason and common sense. The British aristocracy were lucky to
          not have the whole creaking structure collapse about their ears, and the
          safety valve of the Napoleonic wars allowed them to prevent any redress of
          social injustice until after Waterloo. Even then they fought tooth and nail
          to oppose the Reform Bill of 1832, Wellington leading the charge. One man's
          despot is another's liberator....

          Vic Suthren
          Ottawa
          Message 4 of 13 , Dec 6, 2004
            And to slightly sidetrack the conversation, I was reading of the great
            mutiny just recently and was surprised to find that not only was flogging
            not a grievance, but that the mutiniers continued floggings while in semi
            control. What a wonderful pyschological study that must have made someone.
            ;-) "We're bad, nasty men. We deserves a beating we do..." ;-)

            I was reading at the same time that the younger brother of our more familiar
            Lord Cornwallis deserves a lot of unrecognized credit for the victory in
            1805. That it was through his efforts that the fleet and the blockade was
            maintained, giving the Nelsons of the world the chance to reap the glory.
            Came from an interesting article, at least to me, in the latest issue of
            Military History magazine. "Life as a Jack Tar" or something like that.
            The author's assertion was that even to this day Cornwallis has never been
            given adequate credit for his efforts.

            Opinions?