Absolute rulers - was RE: [WarOf1812] Re: Fw: ......." Vive l'Empereur"!!!!

  • PEGGY Mathews
    Message 1 of 13 , Dec 6, 2004
      That's why I put the caveat "as supreme rulers go" (or something like it) on
      my post a while back. In terms of boorish behavior, a cavalier attitude
      toward the lives of their people, bleed 'em dry with taxes, send out armies
      for pay or greed or pettiness, there isn't a great deal to choose from among
      the assorted rulers of 1750 to 1830. Some might be enlightened on a point
      or two, while others might work to turn back the clock on previous reforms.
      It's just that some were more successful than others and gathered more of
      the limelight.

      Just my opinion, worth what you paid for it.

      Michael Mathews

      "To steal ideas from one person is plagiarism; to steal from many is
      research."

      >From: "Colin" <usmarine1814@...>
      >To: WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com
      >Subject: [WarOf1812] Re: Fw: ......." Vive l'Empereur"!!!!
      >Date: Mon, 06 Dec 2004 14:32:05 -0000
      >

      >With all this talk about tyrants I wasn't sure if it was bout George III
      >
      >Just an IRISH AMERICAN MARINE'S (fighting for freedom of the seas 14
      >years after our Year of Liberty) pespective I guess
      >
      >God Bless he Men of '98
      >Free Trade and Sailors Rights
      >Pvt Murphy
      >USS Constitution
      >
      >:) Now I'll hear it
      >C'mon Peterson I'm waiting

      >of square miles...

    • John E Greig
      Message 2 of 13 , Dec 6, 2004
        Micheal Matthews Wrote:

        "In terms of boorish behavior, a cavalier attitude toward the lives of their people, bleed 'em dry with taxes, send out armies for pay or greed or pettiness".

        Sounds a bit like Tony Blair !!!

        Best wishes to all.
        Squire John

        >of square miles...

        ---------------------------------
        Crown Forces Unit Listing:
        http://1812crownforces.tripod.com

        American Forces Unit Lisiting
        http://usforces1812.tripod.com

        Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

      • Rick Peterson
        Message 3 of 13 , Dec 6, 2004
          Murph,
          Ya know, I was already working on a response to your inane rant
          before I had even read the last line of your message.
          Instead, I'll save the mud slinging for an offlist chat, perhaps at
          the grand encampment this summer....that is, unless you wish me to
          divulge your "cute lil' nickname" that your mom let slip out a few
          years back :)

          Semper Fi
          Rick P.

        • suthren@magma.ca
          Message 4 of 13 , Dec 6, 2004
            To add to the conversation, could I observe that the very limited
            parliamentary 'democracy' in the Britain of George the Third joined with an
            increasingly rigid social stratification toward the end of the 18th Century
            to make British society a vastly unfair system which was held together only
            by the reserve and patience of its common people. Revolutionary France, at
            least until the coming of the Consuls and to a degree throughout the
            Napoleonic period, was a Darwinian meritocracy that ironically offered far
            more social equality and a kind of rough but egalitarian mob justice than
            could be found in Britain. It was in the arbitrary French exercise of secret
            police and other powers that the cry of 'Despot!' went up in England, where
            some protection against arbitrary arrest was available. The strain on the
            common British people almost cracked in 1797, however, when the Navy, unable
            to stand the legion of injustices under which they suffered, mutinied and
            might have taken the nation with them had the mutineers not acted for the
            most part with great restraint, and voices like 'Black Dick' Howe stepped in
            to act with reason and common sense. The British aristocracy were lucky to
            not have the whole creaking structure collapse about their ears, and the
            safety valve of the Napoleonic wars allowed them to prevent any redress of
            social injustice until after Waterloo. Even then they fought tooth and nail
            to oppose the Reform Bill of 1832, Wellington leading the charge. One man's
            despot is another's liberator....

            Vic Suthren
            Ottawa
            > That's why I put the caveat "as supreme rulers go" (or something like it)
            on
            > my post a while back. In terms of boorish behavior, a cavalier attitude
            > toward the lives of their people, bleed 'em dry with taxes, send out
            armies
            > for pay or greed or pettiness, there isn't a great deal to choose from
            among
            > the assorted rulers of 1750 to 1830. Some might be enlightened on a point
            > or two, while others might work to turn back the clock on previous
            reforms.
            > It's just that some were more successful than others and gathered more of
            > the limelight.
            >
            > Just my opinion, worth what you paid for it.
            >
            > Michael Mathews
            >

            > "To steal ideas from one person is plagiarism; to steal from many is
            > research."
            >

            > >From: "Colin" <usmarine1814@...>
            > >To: WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com
            > >Subject: [WarOf1812] Re: Fw: ......." Vive l'Empereur"!!!!
            > >Date: Mon, 06 Dec 2004 14:32:05 -0000
            > >

            > >With all this talk about tyrants I wasn't sure if it was bout George III
            > >
            > >Just an IRISH AMERICAN MARINE'S (fighting for freedom of the seas 14
            > >years after our Year of Liberty) pespective I guess
            > >
            > >God Bless he Men of '98
            > >Free Trade and Sailors Rights
            > >Pvt Murphy
            > >USS Constitution
            > >
            > >:) Now I'll hear it
            > >C'mon Peterson I'm waiting
            > >

            > >The War of 1812: In Europe, thousands fought over the fate of hundreds of
            > >square miles: in North America, hundreds determined the fate of THOUSANDS
            > >of square miles...
            > >
            > >Unit Contact information for North America:

            square miles...

          • PEGGY Mathews
            Message 5 of 13 , Dec 6, 2004
              And to slightly sidetrack the conversation, I was reading of the great
              mutiny just recently and was surprised to find that not only was flogging
              not a grievance, but that the mutiniers continued floggings while in semi
              control. What a wonderful pyschological study that must have made someone.
              ;-) "We're bad, nasty men. We deserves a beating we do..." ;-)

              I was reading at the same time that the younger brother of our more familiar
              Lord Cornwallis deserves a lot of unrecognized credit for the victory in
              1805. That it was through his efforts that the fleet and the blockade was
              maintained, giving the Nelsons of the world the chance to reap the glory.
              Came from an interesting article, at least to me, in the latest issue of
              Military History magazine. "Life as a Jack Tar" or something like that.
              The author's assertion was that even to this day Cornwallis has never been
              given adequate credit for his efforts.

              Opinions?