Re: [WarOf1812] Fw: ......." Vive l'Empereur"!!!!

  • HQ93rd@aol.com
    Message 1 of 13 , Dec 6, 2004
      Hmmm...OK...as the late great David Chandler wrote, "A great, bad man".
      (Vive l'Empereur?? Long live a long dead usurper? Ok ok, it's a first person
      thingy then, eh?)
      2005 Waterloo, here we come...
      ;-)

      93rd SHRoFLHU
      THE Thin Red Line
      www.93rdhighlanders.com

    • Colin
      Message 2 of 13 , Dec 6, 2004
        With all this talk about tyrants I wasn't sure if it was bout George III

        Just an IRISH AMERICAN MARINE'S (fighting for freedom of the seas 14
        years after our Year of Liberty) pespective I guess

        God Bless he Men of '98
        Free Trade and Sailors Rights
        Pvt Murphy
        USS Constitution

        :) Now I'll hear it
        C'mon Peterson I'm waiting
      • PEGGY Mathews
        Message 3 of 13 , Dec 6, 2004
          That's why I put the caveat "as supreme rulers go" (or something like it) on
          my post a while back. In terms of boorish behavior, a cavalier attitude
          toward the lives of their people, bleed 'em dry with taxes, send out armies
          for pay or greed or pettiness, there isn't a great deal to choose from among
          the assorted rulers of 1750 to 1830. Some might be enlightened on a point
          or two, while others might work to turn back the clock on previous reforms.
          It's just that some were more successful than others and gathered more of
          the limelight.

          Just my opinion, worth what you paid for it.

          Michael Mathews

          "To steal ideas from one person is plagiarism; to steal from many is
          research."

          >From: "Colin" <usmarine1814@...>
          >To: WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com
          >Subject: [WarOf1812] Re: Fw: ......." Vive l'Empereur"!!!!
          >Date: Mon, 06 Dec 2004 14:32:05 -0000
          >

          >With all this talk about tyrants I wasn't sure if it was bout George III
          >
          >Just an IRISH AMERICAN MARINE'S (fighting for freedom of the seas 14
          >years after our Year of Liberty) pespective I guess
          >
          >God Bless he Men of '98
          >Free Trade and Sailors Rights
          >Pvt Murphy
          >USS Constitution
          >
          >:) Now I'll hear it
          >C'mon Peterson I'm waiting

          >of square miles...

        • John E Greig
          Message 4 of 13 , Dec 6, 2004
            Micheal Matthews Wrote:

            "In terms of boorish behavior, a cavalier attitude toward the lives of their people, bleed 'em dry with taxes, send out armies for pay or greed or pettiness".

            Sounds a bit like Tony Blair !!!

            Best wishes to all.
            Squire John

            >of square miles...

            ---------------------------------
            Crown Forces Unit Listing:
            http://1812crownforces.tripod.com

            American Forces Unit Lisiting
            http://usforces1812.tripod.com

            Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

          • Rick Peterson
            Message 5 of 13 , Dec 6, 2004
              Murph,
              Ya know, I was already working on a response to your inane rant
              before I had even read the last line of your message.
              Instead, I'll save the mud slinging for an offlist chat, perhaps at
              the grand encampment this summer....that is, unless you wish me to
              divulge your "cute lil' nickname" that your mom let slip out a few
              years back :)

              Semper Fi
              Rick P.

            • suthren@magma.ca
              Message 6 of 13 , Dec 6, 2004
                To add to the conversation, could I observe that the very limited
                parliamentary 'democracy' in the Britain of George the Third joined with an
                increasingly rigid social stratification toward the end of the 18th Century
                to make British society a vastly unfair system which was held together only
                by the reserve and patience of its common people. Revolutionary France, at
                least until the coming of the Consuls and to a degree throughout the
                Napoleonic period, was a Darwinian meritocracy that ironically offered far
                more social equality and a kind of rough but egalitarian mob justice than
                could be found in Britain. It was in the arbitrary French exercise of secret
                police and other powers that the cry of 'Despot!' went up in England, where
                some protection against arbitrary arrest was available. The strain on the
                common British people almost cracked in 1797, however, when the Navy, unable
                to stand the legion of injustices under which they suffered, mutinied and
                might have taken the nation with them had the mutineers not acted for the
                most part with great restraint, and voices like 'Black Dick' Howe stepped in
                to act with reason and common sense. The British aristocracy were lucky to
                not have the whole creaking structure collapse about their ears, and the
                safety valve of the Napoleonic wars allowed them to prevent any redress of
                social injustice until after Waterloo. Even then they fought tooth and nail
                to oppose the Reform Bill of 1832, Wellington leading the charge. One man's
                despot is another's liberator....

                Vic Suthren
                Ottawa
                > That's why I put the caveat "as supreme rulers go" (or something like it)
                on
                > my post a while back. In terms of boorish behavior, a cavalier attitude
                > toward the lives of their people, bleed 'em dry with taxes, send out
                armies
                > for pay or greed or pettiness, there isn't a great deal to choose from
                among
                > the assorted rulers of 1750 to 1830. Some might be enlightened on a point
                > or two, while others might work to turn back the clock on previous
                reforms.
                > It's just that some were more successful than others and gathered more of
                > the limelight.
                >
                > Just my opinion, worth what you paid for it.
                >
                > Michael Mathews
                >

                > "To steal ideas from one person is plagiarism; to steal from many is
                > research."
                >

                > >From: "Colin" <usmarine1814@...>
                > >To: WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com
                > >Subject: [WarOf1812] Re: Fw: ......." Vive l'Empereur"!!!!
                > >Date: Mon, 06 Dec 2004 14:32:05 -0000
                > >

                > >With all this talk about tyrants I wasn't sure if it was bout George III
                > >
                > >Just an IRISH AMERICAN MARINE'S (fighting for freedom of the seas 14
                > >years after our Year of Liberty) pespective I guess
                > >
                > >God Bless he Men of '98
                > >Free Trade and Sailors Rights
                > >Pvt Murphy
                > >USS Constitution
                > >
                > >:) Now I'll hear it
                > >C'mon Peterson I'm waiting
                > >

                > >The War of 1812: In Europe, thousands fought over the fate of hundreds of
                > >square miles: in North America, hundreds determined the fate of THOUSANDS
                > >of square miles...
                > >
                > >Unit Contact information for North America:

                square miles...

              • PEGGY Mathews
                Message 7 of 13 , Dec 6, 2004
                  And to slightly sidetrack the conversation, I was reading of the great
                  mutiny just recently and was surprised to find that not only was flogging
                  not a grievance, but that the mutiniers continued floggings while in semi
                  control. What a wonderful pyschological study that must have made someone.
                  ;-) "We're bad, nasty men. We deserves a beating we do..." ;-)

                  I was reading at the same time that the younger brother of our more familiar
                  Lord Cornwallis deserves a lot of unrecognized credit for the victory in
                  1805. That it was through his efforts that the fleet and the blockade was
                  maintained, giving the Nelsons of the world the chance to reap the glory.
                  Came from an interesting article, at least to me, in the latest issue of
                  Military History magazine. "Life as a Jack Tar" or something like that.
                  The author's assertion was that even to this day Cornwallis has never been
                  given adequate credit for his efforts.

                  Opinions?