Re: [WarOf1812] Fw: ......." Vive l'Empereur"!!!!

  • suthren@magma.ca
    Message 1 of 13 , Dec 4, 2004
      Thank you for correcting me as to Buonaparte's rank. I'd forgotten about
      military school, etc. Due honour to due rank, of course....
      Vic
      Message 2 of 13 , Dec 6, 2004
        Hmmm...OK...as the late great David Chandler wrote, "A great, bad man".
        (Vive l'Empereur?? Long live a long dead usurper? Ok ok, it's a first person
        thingy then, eh?)
        2005 Waterloo, here we come...
        ;-)

        93rd SHRoFLHU
        THE Thin Red Line
        www.93rdhighlanders.com

      • Colin
        Message 3 of 13 , Dec 6, 2004
          With all this talk about tyrants I wasn't sure if it was bout George III

          Just an IRISH AMERICAN MARINE'S (fighting for freedom of the seas 14
          years after our Year of Liberty) pespective I guess

          God Bless he Men of '98
          Free Trade and Sailors Rights
          Pvt Murphy
          USS Constitution

          :) Now I'll hear it
          C'mon Peterson I'm waiting
        • PEGGY Mathews
          Message 4 of 13 , Dec 6, 2004
            That's why I put the caveat "as supreme rulers go" (or something like it) on
            my post a while back. In terms of boorish behavior, a cavalier attitude
            toward the lives of their people, bleed 'em dry with taxes, send out armies
            for pay or greed or pettiness, there isn't a great deal to choose from among
            the assorted rulers of 1750 to 1830. Some might be enlightened on a point
            or two, while others might work to turn back the clock on previous reforms.
            It's just that some were more successful than others and gathered more of
            the limelight.

            Just my opinion, worth what you paid for it.

            Michael Mathews

            "To steal ideas from one person is plagiarism; to steal from many is
            research."

            >From: "Colin" <usmarine1814@...>
            >To: WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com
            >Subject: [WarOf1812] Re: Fw: ......." Vive l'Empereur"!!!!
            >Date: Mon, 06 Dec 2004 14:32:05 -0000
            >

            >With all this talk about tyrants I wasn't sure if it was bout George III
            >
            >Just an IRISH AMERICAN MARINE'S (fighting for freedom of the seas 14
            >years after our Year of Liberty) pespective I guess
            >
            >God Bless he Men of '98
            >Free Trade and Sailors Rights
            >Pvt Murphy
            >USS Constitution
            >
            >:) Now I'll hear it
            >C'mon Peterson I'm waiting

            >of square miles...

          • John E Greig
            Message 5 of 13 , Dec 6, 2004
              Micheal Matthews Wrote:

              "In terms of boorish behavior, a cavalier attitude toward the lives of their people, bleed 'em dry with taxes, send out armies for pay or greed or pettiness".

              Sounds a bit like Tony Blair !!!

              Best wishes to all.
              Squire John

              >of square miles...

              ---------------------------------
              Crown Forces Unit Listing:
              http://1812crownforces.tripod.com

              American Forces Unit Lisiting
              http://usforces1812.tripod.com

              Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

            • Rick Peterson
              Message 6 of 13 , Dec 6, 2004
                Murph,
                Ya know, I was already working on a response to your inane rant
                before I had even read the last line of your message.
                Instead, I'll save the mud slinging for an offlist chat, perhaps at
                the grand encampment this summer....that is, unless you wish me to
                divulge your "cute lil' nickname" that your mom let slip out a few
                years back :)

                Semper Fi
                Rick P.

              • suthren@magma.ca
                Message 7 of 13 , Dec 6, 2004
                  To add to the conversation, could I observe that the very limited
                  parliamentary 'democracy' in the Britain of George the Third joined with an
                  increasingly rigid social stratification toward the end of the 18th Century
                  to make British society a vastly unfair system which was held together only
                  by the reserve and patience of its common people. Revolutionary France, at
                  least until the coming of the Consuls and to a degree throughout the
                  Napoleonic period, was a Darwinian meritocracy that ironically offered far
                  more social equality and a kind of rough but egalitarian mob justice than
                  could be found in Britain. It was in the arbitrary French exercise of secret
                  police and other powers that the cry of 'Despot!' went up in England, where
                  some protection against arbitrary arrest was available. The strain on the
                  common British people almost cracked in 1797, however, when the Navy, unable
                  to stand the legion of injustices under which they suffered, mutinied and
                  might have taken the nation with them had the mutineers not acted for the
                  most part with great restraint, and voices like 'Black Dick' Howe stepped in
                  to act with reason and common sense. The British aristocracy were lucky to
                  not have the whole creaking structure collapse about their ears, and the
                  safety valve of the Napoleonic wars allowed them to prevent any redress of
                  social injustice until after Waterloo. Even then they fought tooth and nail
                  to oppose the Reform Bill of 1832, Wellington leading the charge. One man's
                  despot is another's liberator....

                  Vic Suthren
                  Ottawa
                  > That's why I put the caveat "as supreme rulers go" (or something like it)
                  on
                  > my post a while back. In terms of boorish behavior, a cavalier attitude
                  > toward the lives of their people, bleed 'em dry with taxes, send out
                  armies
                  > for pay or greed or pettiness, there isn't a great deal to choose from
                  among
                  > the assorted rulers of 1750 to 1830. Some might be enlightened on a point
                  > or two, while others might work to turn back the clock on previous
                  reforms.
                  > It's just that some were more successful than others and gathered more of
                  > the limelight.
                  >
                  > Just my opinion, worth what you paid for it.
                  >
                  > Michael Mathews
                  >

                  > "To steal ideas from one person is plagiarism; to steal from many is
                  > research."
                  >

                  > >From: "Colin" <usmarine1814@...>
                  > >To: WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com
                  > >Subject: [WarOf1812] Re: Fw: ......." Vive l'Empereur"!!!!
                  > >Date: Mon, 06 Dec 2004 14:32:05 -0000
                  > >

                  > >With all this talk about tyrants I wasn't sure if it was bout George III
                  > >
                  > >Just an IRISH AMERICAN MARINE'S (fighting for freedom of the seas 14
                  > >years after our Year of Liberty) pespective I guess
                  > >
                  > >God Bless he Men of '98
                  > >Free Trade and Sailors Rights
                  > >Pvt Murphy
                  > >USS Constitution
                  > >
                  > >:) Now I'll hear it
                  > >C'mon Peterson I'm waiting
                  > >

                  > >The War of 1812: In Europe, thousands fought over the fate of hundreds of
                  > >square miles: in North America, hundreds determined the fate of THOUSANDS
                  > >of square miles...
                  > >
                  > >Unit Contact information for North America:

                  square miles...

                • PEGGY Mathews
                  Message 8 of 13 , Dec 6, 2004
                    And to slightly sidetrack the conversation, I was reading of the great
                    mutiny just recently and was surprised to find that not only was flogging
                    not a grievance, but that the mutiniers continued floggings while in semi
                    control. What a wonderful pyschological study that must have made someone.
                    ;-) "We're bad, nasty men. We deserves a beating we do..." ;-)

                    I was reading at the same time that the younger brother of our more familiar
                    Lord Cornwallis deserves a lot of unrecognized credit for the victory in
                    1805. That it was through his efforts that the fleet and the blockade was
                    maintained, giving the Nelsons of the world the chance to reap the glory.
                    Came from an interesting article, at least to me, in the latest issue of
                    Military History magazine. "Life as a Jack Tar" or something like that.
                    The author's assertion was that even to this day Cornwallis has never been
                    given adequate credit for his efforts.

                    Opinions?