" Vive l'Empereur"!!!!

    Message 1 of 2 , Dec 3, 2004
      ----- Original Message -----
      From: "Michael Mathews" <ciefranche21e@...>

      "Mai oui, vin blanc. ............regimental fete ... "Je passe quand meme!"
      .. 21eme ..."

      Michael Mon Ami'

      Traduisez s'il vous plait en anglais car tous ne parlent pas français

      Merci beaucoup

      L deux fois
    • PEGGY Mathews
      Message 2 of 2 , Dec 3, 2004
        Well shuckins', I thot all you fellers up nort were bi. Lingual that is.
        <VBG>

        With my best Peppy le Pew accent I said, "But of course, white wine." The
        regimental fete refers to basically a party, in honor of the Empereur, but
        renewing the honor of our regiment even in defeat. At the Battle of Novi in
        1799 the French were beaten by the Russians and Austrians under Suvarov. An
        element of the 21st (21eme) demi-brigade (regimental equal) was cut off by
        the Russians. Rallying under the leadership of Sergent Pauli, they over-ran
        a Russian battery and blew a hole in the enemy line through which they
        escaped with the cry, "je passe quand meme" or, "I will pass anyway." In a
        battle that largely erased all the gains made under General Bonaparte the
        previous years it was a bright spot for the French. The tradition is
        carried forward into the 21st century in the modern French army. Here
        endeth the lesson.

        I lied. In a distant North American connection the 2nd battalion of the
        Regiment Guyenne was sent to defend Canada against the English in the build
        up in the 1750s. After that war they merged with the regiment Vaubecourt
        (not sure of that spelling) to create the 21eme Demi-Brigade. As one who
        also does the French and Indian War with les Francais it is a remarkable
        coincedence. Unfortunately for me, I'm locked into a Compagnie Franche de
        la Marine (Independent Company of the Navy) and have declined membership
        with the reenacted Regiment Guyenne.

        En tout amitie, (In all friendship,)

        Michael, sergent in both French units

        "To steal ideas from one person is plagiarism; to steal from many is
        research."