Re: [WarOf1812] Fw: ......." Vive l'Empereur"!!!!

  • BritcomHMP@aol.com
    Message 1 of 13 , Dec 3, 2004
      In a message dated 03/12/2004 14:45:35 Central Standard Time,
      ciefranche21e@... writes:

      Tyrant?! Well, er, um, yeah... okay. But corporal, never! Always an
      officer, occasionally a gentleman. At least as much as supreme rulers go.
      ;-)

      Indeed, I think the French idea of call him 'le petit caporal' came from the
      memory that the British soildiers called the 1st Duke of Marlborough
      'Corporal John' out of admiration and affection. The French began calling Nap their
      answer to Marlborough hence the name.

    • suthren@magma.ca
      Message 2 of 13 , Dec 4, 2004
        Thank you for correcting me as to Buonaparte's rank. I'd forgotten about
        military school, etc. Due honour to due rank, of course....
        Vic
        > In a message dated 03/12/2004 14:45:35 Central Standard Time,
        > ciefranche21e@... writes:
        >
        > Tyrant?! Well, er, um, yeah... okay. But corporal, never! Always an
        > officer, occasionally a gentleman. At least as much as supreme rulers
        go.
        > ;-)
        >

        > Indeed, I think the French idea of call him 'le petit caporal' came from
        the
        > memory that the British soildiers called the 1st Duke of Marlborough
        > 'Corporal John' out of admiration and affection. The French began calling
        Nap their
        > answer to Marlborough hence the name.
        >
        > Cheers
        >
        > Tim

        square miles...

      • HQ93rd@aol.com
        Message 3 of 13 , Dec 6, 2004
          Hmmm...OK...as the late great David Chandler wrote, "A great, bad man".
          (Vive l'Empereur?? Long live a long dead usurper? Ok ok, it's a first person
          thingy then, eh?)
          2005 Waterloo, here we come...
          ;-)

          93rd SHRoFLHU
          THE Thin Red Line
          www.93rdhighlanders.com

        • Colin
          Message 4 of 13 , Dec 6, 2004
            With all this talk about tyrants I wasn't sure if it was bout George III

            Just an IRISH AMERICAN MARINE'S (fighting for freedom of the seas 14
            years after our Year of Liberty) pespective I guess

            God Bless he Men of '98
            Free Trade and Sailors Rights
            Pvt Murphy
            USS Constitution

            :) Now I'll hear it
            C'mon Peterson I'm waiting
          • PEGGY Mathews
            Message 5 of 13 , Dec 6, 2004
              That's why I put the caveat "as supreme rulers go" (or something like it) on
              my post a while back. In terms of boorish behavior, a cavalier attitude
              toward the lives of their people, bleed 'em dry with taxes, send out armies
              for pay or greed or pettiness, there isn't a great deal to choose from among
              the assorted rulers of 1750 to 1830. Some might be enlightened on a point
              or two, while others might work to turn back the clock on previous reforms.
              It's just that some were more successful than others and gathered more of
              the limelight.

              Just my opinion, worth what you paid for it.

              Michael Mathews

              "To steal ideas from one person is plagiarism; to steal from many is
              research."

              >From: "Colin" <usmarine1814@...>
              >To: WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com
              >Subject: [WarOf1812] Re: Fw: ......." Vive l'Empereur"!!!!
              >Date: Mon, 06 Dec 2004 14:32:05 -0000
              >

              >With all this talk about tyrants I wasn't sure if it was bout George III
              >
              >Just an IRISH AMERICAN MARINE'S (fighting for freedom of the seas 14
              >years after our Year of Liberty) pespective I guess
              >
              >God Bless he Men of '98
              >Free Trade and Sailors Rights
              >Pvt Murphy
              >USS Constitution
              >
              >:) Now I'll hear it
              >C'mon Peterson I'm waiting

              >of square miles...

            • John E Greig
              Message 6 of 13 , Dec 6, 2004
                Micheal Matthews Wrote:

                "In terms of boorish behavior, a cavalier attitude toward the lives of their people, bleed 'em dry with taxes, send out armies for pay or greed or pettiness".

                Sounds a bit like Tony Blair !!!

                Best wishes to all.
                Squire John

                >of square miles...

                ---------------------------------
                Crown Forces Unit Listing:
                http://1812crownforces.tripod.com

                American Forces Unit Lisiting
                http://usforces1812.tripod.com

                Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

              • Rick Peterson
                Message 7 of 13 , Dec 6, 2004
                  Murph,
                  Ya know, I was already working on a response to your inane rant
                  before I had even read the last line of your message.
                  Instead, I'll save the mud slinging for an offlist chat, perhaps at
                  the grand encampment this summer....that is, unless you wish me to
                  divulge your "cute lil' nickname" that your mom let slip out a few
                  years back :)

                  Semper Fi
                  Rick P.

                • suthren@magma.ca
                  Message 8 of 13 , Dec 6, 2004
                    To add to the conversation, could I observe that the very limited
                    parliamentary 'democracy' in the Britain of George the Third joined with an
                    increasingly rigid social stratification toward the end of the 18th Century
                    to make British society a vastly unfair system which was held together only
                    by the reserve and patience of its common people. Revolutionary France, at
                    least until the coming of the Consuls and to a degree throughout the
                    Napoleonic period, was a Darwinian meritocracy that ironically offered far
                    more social equality and a kind of rough but egalitarian mob justice than
                    could be found in Britain. It was in the arbitrary French exercise of secret
                    police and other powers that the cry of 'Despot!' went up in England, where
                    some protection against arbitrary arrest was available. The strain on the
                    common British people almost cracked in 1797, however, when the Navy, unable
                    to stand the legion of injustices under which they suffered, mutinied and
                    might have taken the nation with them had the mutineers not acted for the
                    most part with great restraint, and voices like 'Black Dick' Howe stepped in
                    to act with reason and common sense. The British aristocracy were lucky to
                    not have the whole creaking structure collapse about their ears, and the
                    safety valve of the Napoleonic wars allowed them to prevent any redress of
                    social injustice until after Waterloo. Even then they fought tooth and nail
                    to oppose the Reform Bill of 1832, Wellington leading the charge. One man's
                    despot is another's liberator....

                    Vic Suthren
                    Ottawa
                    > That's why I put the caveat "as supreme rulers go" (or something like it)
                    on
                    > my post a while back. In terms of boorish behavior, a cavalier attitude
                    > toward the lives of their people, bleed 'em dry with taxes, send out
                    armies
                    > for pay or greed or pettiness, there isn't a great deal to choose from
                    among
                    > the assorted rulers of 1750 to 1830. Some might be enlightened on a point
                    > or two, while others might work to turn back the clock on previous
                    reforms.
                    > It's just that some were more successful than others and gathered more of
                    > the limelight.
                    >
                    > Just my opinion, worth what you paid for it.
                    >
                    > Michael Mathews
                    >

                    > "To steal ideas from one person is plagiarism; to steal from many is
                    > research."
                    >

                    > >From: "Colin" <usmarine1814@...>
                    > >To: WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com
                    > >Subject: [WarOf1812] Re: Fw: ......." Vive l'Empereur"!!!!
                    > >Date: Mon, 06 Dec 2004 14:32:05 -0000
                    > >

                    > >With all this talk about tyrants I wasn't sure if it was bout George III
                    > >
                    > >Just an IRISH AMERICAN MARINE'S (fighting for freedom of the seas 14
                    > >years after our Year of Liberty) pespective I guess
                    > >
                    > >God Bless he Men of '98
                    > >Free Trade and Sailors Rights
                    > >Pvt Murphy
                    > >USS Constitution
                    > >
                    > >:) Now I'll hear it
                    > >C'mon Peterson I'm waiting
                    > >

                    > >The War of 1812: In Europe, thousands fought over the fate of hundreds of
                    > >square miles: in North America, hundreds determined the fate of THOUSANDS
                    > >of square miles...
                    > >
                    > >Unit Contact information for North America:

                    square miles...

                  • PEGGY Mathews
                    Message 9 of 13 , Dec 6, 2004
                      And to slightly sidetrack the conversation, I was reading of the great
                      mutiny just recently and was surprised to find that not only was flogging
                      not a grievance, but that the mutiniers continued floggings while in semi
                      control. What a wonderful pyschological study that must have made someone.
                      ;-) "We're bad, nasty men. We deserves a beating we do..." ;-)

                      I was reading at the same time that the younger brother of our more familiar
                      Lord Cornwallis deserves a lot of unrecognized credit for the victory in
                      1805. That it was through his efforts that the fleet and the blockade was
                      maintained, giving the Nelsons of the world the chance to reap the glory.
                      Came from an interesting article, at least to me, in the latest issue of
                      Military History magazine. "Life as a Jack Tar" or something like that.
                      The author's assertion was that even to this day Cornwallis has never been
                      given adequate credit for his efforts.

                      Opinions?