Re: [WarOf1812] Fw: ......." Vive l'Empereur"!!!!

  • PEGGY Mathews
    Message 1 of 13 , Dec 3, 2004
      Tyrant?! Well, er, um, yeah... okay. But corporal, never! Always an
      officer, occasionally a gentleman. At least as much as supreme rulers go.
      ;-)

      Michael Mathews

    • BritcomHMP@aol.com
      Message 2 of 13 , Dec 3, 2004
        In a message dated 03/12/2004 14:45:35 Central Standard Time,
        ciefranche21e@... writes:

        Tyrant?! Well, er, um, yeah... okay. But corporal, never! Always an
        officer, occasionally a gentleman. At least as much as supreme rulers go.
        ;-)

        Indeed, I think the French idea of call him 'le petit caporal' came from the
        memory that the British soildiers called the 1st Duke of Marlborough
        'Corporal John' out of admiration and affection. The French began calling Nap their
        answer to Marlborough hence the name.

      • suthren@magma.ca
        Message 3 of 13 , Dec 4, 2004
          Thank you for correcting me as to Buonaparte's rank. I'd forgotten about
          military school, etc. Due honour to due rank, of course....
          Vic
          > In a message dated 03/12/2004 14:45:35 Central Standard Time,
          > ciefranche21e@... writes:
          >
          > Tyrant?! Well, er, um, yeah... okay. But corporal, never! Always an
          > officer, occasionally a gentleman. At least as much as supreme rulers
          go.
          > ;-)
          >

          > Indeed, I think the French idea of call him 'le petit caporal' came from
          the
          > memory that the British soildiers called the 1st Duke of Marlborough
          > 'Corporal John' out of admiration and affection. The French began calling
          Nap their
          > answer to Marlborough hence the name.
          >
          > Cheers
          >
          > Tim

          square miles...

        • HQ93rd@aol.com
          Message 4 of 13 , Dec 6, 2004
            Hmmm...OK...as the late great David Chandler wrote, "A great, bad man".
            (Vive l'Empereur?? Long live a long dead usurper? Ok ok, it's a first person
            thingy then, eh?)
            2005 Waterloo, here we come...
            ;-)

            93rd SHRoFLHU
            THE Thin Red Line
            www.93rdhighlanders.com

          • Colin
            Message 5 of 13 , Dec 6, 2004
              With all this talk about tyrants I wasn't sure if it was bout George III

              Just an IRISH AMERICAN MARINE'S (fighting for freedom of the seas 14
              years after our Year of Liberty) pespective I guess

              God Bless he Men of '98
              Free Trade and Sailors Rights
              Pvt Murphy
              USS Constitution

              :) Now I'll hear it
              C'mon Peterson I'm waiting
            • PEGGY Mathews
              Message 6 of 13 , Dec 6, 2004
                That's why I put the caveat "as supreme rulers go" (or something like it) on
                my post a while back. In terms of boorish behavior, a cavalier attitude
                toward the lives of their people, bleed 'em dry with taxes, send out armies
                for pay or greed or pettiness, there isn't a great deal to choose from among
                the assorted rulers of 1750 to 1830. Some might be enlightened on a point
                or two, while others might work to turn back the clock on previous reforms.
                It's just that some were more successful than others and gathered more of
                the limelight.

                Just my opinion, worth what you paid for it.

                Michael Mathews

                "To steal ideas from one person is plagiarism; to steal from many is
                research."

                >From: "Colin" <usmarine1814@...>
                >To: WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com
                >Subject: [WarOf1812] Re: Fw: ......." Vive l'Empereur"!!!!
                >Date: Mon, 06 Dec 2004 14:32:05 -0000
                >

                >With all this talk about tyrants I wasn't sure if it was bout George III
                >
                >Just an IRISH AMERICAN MARINE'S (fighting for freedom of the seas 14
                >years after our Year of Liberty) pespective I guess
                >
                >God Bless he Men of '98
                >Free Trade and Sailors Rights
                >Pvt Murphy
                >USS Constitution
                >
                >:) Now I'll hear it
                >C'mon Peterson I'm waiting

                >of square miles...

              • John E Greig
                Message 7 of 13 , Dec 6, 2004
                  Micheal Matthews Wrote:

                  "In terms of boorish behavior, a cavalier attitude toward the lives of their people, bleed 'em dry with taxes, send out armies for pay or greed or pettiness".

                  Sounds a bit like Tony Blair !!!

                  Best wishes to all.
                  Squire John

                  >of square miles...

                  ---------------------------------
                  Crown Forces Unit Listing:
                  http://1812crownforces.tripod.com

                  American Forces Unit Lisiting
                  http://usforces1812.tripod.com

                  Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

                • Rick Peterson
                  Message 8 of 13 , Dec 6, 2004
                    Murph,
                    Ya know, I was already working on a response to your inane rant
                    before I had even read the last line of your message.
                    Instead, I'll save the mud slinging for an offlist chat, perhaps at
                    the grand encampment this summer....that is, unless you wish me to
                    divulge your "cute lil' nickname" that your mom let slip out a few
                    years back :)

                    Semper Fi
                    Rick P.

                  • suthren@magma.ca
                    Message 9 of 13 , Dec 6, 2004
                      To add to the conversation, could I observe that the very limited
                      parliamentary 'democracy' in the Britain of George the Third joined with an
                      increasingly rigid social stratification toward the end of the 18th Century
                      to make British society a vastly unfair system which was held together only
                      by the reserve and patience of its common people. Revolutionary France, at
                      least until the coming of the Consuls and to a degree throughout the
                      Napoleonic period, was a Darwinian meritocracy that ironically offered far
                      more social equality and a kind of rough but egalitarian mob justice than
                      could be found in Britain. It was in the arbitrary French exercise of secret
                      police and other powers that the cry of 'Despot!' went up in England, where
                      some protection against arbitrary arrest was available. The strain on the
                      common British people almost cracked in 1797, however, when the Navy, unable
                      to stand the legion of injustices under which they suffered, mutinied and
                      might have taken the nation with them had the mutineers not acted for the
                      most part with great restraint, and voices like 'Black Dick' Howe stepped in
                      to act with reason and common sense. The British aristocracy were lucky to
                      not have the whole creaking structure collapse about their ears, and the
                      safety valve of the Napoleonic wars allowed them to prevent any redress of
                      social injustice until after Waterloo. Even then they fought tooth and nail
                      to oppose the Reform Bill of 1832, Wellington leading the charge. One man's
                      despot is another's liberator....

                      Vic Suthren
                      Ottawa
                      > That's why I put the caveat "as supreme rulers go" (or something like it)
                      on
                      > my post a while back. In terms of boorish behavior, a cavalier attitude
                      > toward the lives of their people, bleed 'em dry with taxes, send out
                      armies
                      > for pay or greed or pettiness, there isn't a great deal to choose from
                      among
                      > the assorted rulers of 1750 to 1830. Some might be enlightened on a point
                      > or two, while others might work to turn back the clock on previous
                      reforms.
                      > It's just that some were more successful than others and gathered more of
                      > the limelight.
                      >
                      > Just my opinion, worth what you paid for it.
                      >
                      > Michael Mathews
                      >

                      > "To steal ideas from one person is plagiarism; to steal from many is
                      > research."
                      >

                      > >From: "Colin" <usmarine1814@...>
                      > >To: WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com
                      > >Subject: [WarOf1812] Re: Fw: ......." Vive l'Empereur"!!!!
                      > >Date: Mon, 06 Dec 2004 14:32:05 -0000
                      > >

                      > >With all this talk about tyrants I wasn't sure if it was bout George III
                      > >
                      > >Just an IRISH AMERICAN MARINE'S (fighting for freedom of the seas 14
                      > >years after our Year of Liberty) pespective I guess
                      > >
                      > >God Bless he Men of '98
                      > >Free Trade and Sailors Rights
                      > >Pvt Murphy
                      > >USS Constitution
                      > >
                      > >:) Now I'll hear it
                      > >C'mon Peterson I'm waiting
                      > >

                      > >The War of 1812: In Europe, thousands fought over the fate of hundreds of
                      > >square miles: in North America, hundreds determined the fate of THOUSANDS
                      > >of square miles...
                      > >
                      > >Unit Contact information for North America:

                      square miles...

                    • PEGGY Mathews
                      Message 10 of 13 , Dec 6, 2004
                        And to slightly sidetrack the conversation, I was reading of the great
                        mutiny just recently and was surprised to find that not only was flogging
                        not a grievance, but that the mutiniers continued floggings while in semi
                        control. What a wonderful pyschological study that must have made someone.
                        ;-) "We're bad, nasty men. We deserves a beating we do..." ;-)

                        I was reading at the same time that the younger brother of our more familiar
                        Lord Cornwallis deserves a lot of unrecognized credit for the victory in
                        1805. That it was through his efforts that the fleet and the blockade was
                        maintained, giving the Nelsons of the world the chance to reap the glory.
                        Came from an interesting article, at least to me, in the latest issue of
                        Military History magazine. "Life as a Jack Tar" or something like that.
                        The author's assertion was that even to this day Cornwallis has never been
                        given adequate credit for his efforts.

                        Opinions?