RE: [WarOf1812] Fw: ......." Vive l'Empereur"!!!!

  • PEGGY Mathews
    Message 1 of 13 , Dec 3, 2004
      Mai oui, vin blanc. And each year at a gathering as close to the Emperor's
      birthday as possible we celebrate our regimental fete and recite the
      circumstances under which we earned our battle motto, "Je passe quand meme!"

      In Europe (today perhaps?) they are having a big ceremony reenacting the
      distribution of the Eagles. Since the 21eme already has one presented to
      them from the modern day French regimental descendents, they did not attend.
      It is my understanding though that units came from all over the continent
      to partake.

      Michael Mathews - unabashed follower of an enlightened despot. ;-)

      "To steal ideas from one person is plagiarism; to steal from many is
      research."

      >From: "Larry Lozon" <lalozon@...>
      >To: "Onelist WarOf1812" <WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com>
      >Subject: [WarOf1812] Fw: ......." Vive l'Empereur"!!!!
      >Date: Fri, 3 Dec 2004 14:45:09 -0500
      >

      >Gentlemen, Ladies, et al,
      >

      > Another reason to raise a glass!
      >
      >Yrs.,
      >
      > L2

      (snip)
    • suthren@magma.ca
      Message 2 of 13 , Dec 3, 2004
        Egad. Must one? Raise a glass to an upstart corporal and tyrant? Not done,
        old chap. (Sniff)
        > Yesterday was the 200th anniversary of Napoleon's coronation as
        > Emperor of the French.
        > As you may know, I have an evil twin who is in the Regiment
        > Irlandais...........would you humour him,
        > and lift your glass to a worthy adversary, or in my case, to my evil
        twin's
        > emperor......." Vive l'Empereur"!!!!
        >

        > Larry Stutt
        > The King's Regiment in the Canadas
        >

        > PS: Mr. Stutt is not a subscriber if this WarOf1812 Yahoo Group
        > His eddress is posted at http://1812crownforces.tripod.com
        > as Commander of the 8th (Kings) Regt
        >
        > Michael did you raise a glass to l'Empereur?

        square miles...

      • PEGGY Mathews
        Message 3 of 13 , Dec 3, 2004
          Tyrant?! Well, er, um, yeah... okay. But corporal, never! Always an
          officer, occasionally a gentleman. At least as much as supreme rulers go.
          ;-)

          Michael Mathews

        • BritcomHMP@aol.com
          Message 4 of 13 , Dec 3, 2004
            In a message dated 03/12/2004 14:45:35 Central Standard Time,
            ciefranche21e@... writes:

            Tyrant?! Well, er, um, yeah... okay. But corporal, never! Always an
            officer, occasionally a gentleman. At least as much as supreme rulers go.
            ;-)

            Indeed, I think the French idea of call him 'le petit caporal' came from the
            memory that the British soildiers called the 1st Duke of Marlborough
            'Corporal John' out of admiration and affection. The French began calling Nap their
            answer to Marlborough hence the name.

          • suthren@magma.ca
            Message 5 of 13 , Dec 4, 2004
              Thank you for correcting me as to Buonaparte's rank. I'd forgotten about
              military school, etc. Due honour to due rank, of course....
              Vic
              > In a message dated 03/12/2004 14:45:35 Central Standard Time,
              > ciefranche21e@... writes:
              >
              > Tyrant?! Well, er, um, yeah... okay. But corporal, never! Always an
              > officer, occasionally a gentleman. At least as much as supreme rulers
              go.
              > ;-)
              >

              > Indeed, I think the French idea of call him 'le petit caporal' came from
              the
              > memory that the British soildiers called the 1st Duke of Marlborough
              > 'Corporal John' out of admiration and affection. The French began calling
              Nap their
              > answer to Marlborough hence the name.
              >
              > Cheers
              >
              > Tim

              square miles...

            • HQ93rd@aol.com
              Message 6 of 13 , Dec 6, 2004
                Hmmm...OK...as the late great David Chandler wrote, "A great, bad man".
                (Vive l'Empereur?? Long live a long dead usurper? Ok ok, it's a first person
                thingy then, eh?)
                2005 Waterloo, here we come...
                ;-)

                93rd SHRoFLHU
                THE Thin Red Line
                www.93rdhighlanders.com

              • Colin
                Message 7 of 13 , Dec 6, 2004
                  With all this talk about tyrants I wasn't sure if it was bout George III

                  Just an IRISH AMERICAN MARINE'S (fighting for freedom of the seas 14
                  years after our Year of Liberty) pespective I guess

                  God Bless he Men of '98
                  Free Trade and Sailors Rights
                  Pvt Murphy
                  USS Constitution

                  :) Now I'll hear it
                  C'mon Peterson I'm waiting
                • PEGGY Mathews
                  Message 8 of 13 , Dec 6, 2004
                    That's why I put the caveat "as supreme rulers go" (or something like it) on
                    my post a while back. In terms of boorish behavior, a cavalier attitude
                    toward the lives of their people, bleed 'em dry with taxes, send out armies
                    for pay or greed or pettiness, there isn't a great deal to choose from among
                    the assorted rulers of 1750 to 1830. Some might be enlightened on a point
                    or two, while others might work to turn back the clock on previous reforms.
                    It's just that some were more successful than others and gathered more of
                    the limelight.

                    Just my opinion, worth what you paid for it.

                    Michael Mathews

                    "To steal ideas from one person is plagiarism; to steal from many is
                    research."

                    >From: "Colin" <usmarine1814@...>
                    >To: WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com
                    >Subject: [WarOf1812] Re: Fw: ......." Vive l'Empereur"!!!!
                    >Date: Mon, 06 Dec 2004 14:32:05 -0000
                    >

                    >With all this talk about tyrants I wasn't sure if it was bout George III
                    >
                    >Just an IRISH AMERICAN MARINE'S (fighting for freedom of the seas 14
                    >years after our Year of Liberty) pespective I guess
                    >
                    >God Bless he Men of '98
                    >Free Trade and Sailors Rights
                    >Pvt Murphy
                    >USS Constitution
                    >
                    >:) Now I'll hear it
                    >C'mon Peterson I'm waiting

                    >of square miles...

                  • John E Greig
                    Message 9 of 13 , Dec 6, 2004
                      Micheal Matthews Wrote:

                      "In terms of boorish behavior, a cavalier attitude toward the lives of their people, bleed 'em dry with taxes, send out armies for pay or greed or pettiness".

                      Sounds a bit like Tony Blair !!!

                      Best wishes to all.
                      Squire John

                      >of square miles...

                      ---------------------------------
                      Crown Forces Unit Listing:
                      http://1812crownforces.tripod.com

                      American Forces Unit Lisiting
                      http://usforces1812.tripod.com

                      Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

                    • Rick Peterson
                      Message 10 of 13 , Dec 6, 2004
                        Murph,
                        Ya know, I was already working on a response to your inane rant
                        before I had even read the last line of your message.
                        Instead, I'll save the mud slinging for an offlist chat, perhaps at
                        the grand encampment this summer....that is, unless you wish me to
                        divulge your "cute lil' nickname" that your mom let slip out a few
                        years back :)

                        Semper Fi
                        Rick P.

                      • suthren@magma.ca
                        Message 11 of 13 , Dec 6, 2004
                          To add to the conversation, could I observe that the very limited
                          parliamentary 'democracy' in the Britain of George the Third joined with an
                          increasingly rigid social stratification toward the end of the 18th Century
                          to make British society a vastly unfair system which was held together only
                          by the reserve and patience of its common people. Revolutionary France, at
                          least until the coming of the Consuls and to a degree throughout the
                          Napoleonic period, was a Darwinian meritocracy that ironically offered far
                          more social equality and a kind of rough but egalitarian mob justice than
                          could be found in Britain. It was in the arbitrary French exercise of secret
                          police and other powers that the cry of 'Despot!' went up in England, where
                          some protection against arbitrary arrest was available. The strain on the
                          common British people almost cracked in 1797, however, when the Navy, unable
                          to stand the legion of injustices under which they suffered, mutinied and
                          might have taken the nation with them had the mutineers not acted for the
                          most part with great restraint, and voices like 'Black Dick' Howe stepped in
                          to act with reason and common sense. The British aristocracy were lucky to
                          not have the whole creaking structure collapse about their ears, and the
                          safety valve of the Napoleonic wars allowed them to prevent any redress of
                          social injustice until after Waterloo. Even then they fought tooth and nail
                          to oppose the Reform Bill of 1832, Wellington leading the charge. One man's
                          despot is another's liberator....

                          Vic Suthren
                          Ottawa
                          > That's why I put the caveat "as supreme rulers go" (or something like it)
                          on
                          > my post a while back. In terms of boorish behavior, a cavalier attitude
                          > toward the lives of their people, bleed 'em dry with taxes, send out
                          armies
                          > for pay or greed or pettiness, there isn't a great deal to choose from
                          among
                          > the assorted rulers of 1750 to 1830. Some might be enlightened on a point
                          > or two, while others might work to turn back the clock on previous
                          reforms.
                          > It's just that some were more successful than others and gathered more of
                          > the limelight.
                          >
                          > Just my opinion, worth what you paid for it.
                          >
                          > Michael Mathews
                          >

                          > "To steal ideas from one person is plagiarism; to steal from many is
                          > research."
                          >

                          > >From: "Colin" <usmarine1814@...>
                          > >To: WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com
                          > >Subject: [WarOf1812] Re: Fw: ......." Vive l'Empereur"!!!!
                          > >Date: Mon, 06 Dec 2004 14:32:05 -0000
                          > >

                          > >With all this talk about tyrants I wasn't sure if it was bout George III
                          > >
                          > >Just an IRISH AMERICAN MARINE'S (fighting for freedom of the seas 14
                          > >years after our Year of Liberty) pespective I guess
                          > >
                          > >God Bless he Men of '98
                          > >Free Trade and Sailors Rights
                          > >Pvt Murphy
                          > >USS Constitution
                          > >
                          > >:) Now I'll hear it
                          > >C'mon Peterson I'm waiting
                          > >

                          > >The War of 1812: In Europe, thousands fought over the fate of hundreds of
                          > >square miles: in North America, hundreds determined the fate of THOUSANDS
                          > >of square miles...
                          > >
                          > >Unit Contact information for North America:

                          square miles...

                        • PEGGY Mathews
                          Message 12 of 13 , Dec 6, 2004
                            And to slightly sidetrack the conversation, I was reading of the great
                            mutiny just recently and was surprised to find that not only was flogging
                            not a grievance, but that the mutiniers continued floggings while in semi
                            control. What a wonderful pyschological study that must have made someone.
                            ;-) "We're bad, nasty men. We deserves a beating we do..." ;-)

                            I was reading at the same time that the younger brother of our more familiar
                            Lord Cornwallis deserves a lot of unrecognized credit for the victory in
                            1805. That it was through his efforts that the fleet and the blockade was
                            maintained, giving the Nelsons of the world the chance to reap the glory.
                            Came from an interesting article, at least to me, in the latest issue of
                            Military History magazine. "Life as a Jack Tar" or something like that.
                            The author's assertion was that even to this day Cornwallis has never been
                            given adequate credit for his efforts.

                            Opinions?

                            Michael Mathews