Pierre Berton

  • historyatlarge@canada.com
    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 1, 2004
      The passing of Pierre Berton gave me pause to think
      again on the thanks we owe him for popularizing
      Canadian history and making it accessible to those who
      thought it dry, dull and boring. Without his efforts,
      many people would not be active in his hobby. Of
      course, Berton did not always get the facts right, but
      the point is he wasn't an academic, but a journalist,
      first and foremost.
      As a journalist, he brought the people to life who
      lived our history. He took history from being one damn
      fact after another and wove it into a vibrant tapestry.
      Let the academic historians debate the realities
      and consequences of the minutaie because without Berton
      firing the zeal of budding, grade-school historians
      there'd be a damn sight fewer scrutinizing our history.
      Berton lit the path for many to follow. Because of him
      our understanding of our history is richer and will be
      enriched in years to come.

      Michael Whittaker
      Merrickville, Ontario
      www.historyatlarge.ca