Re: [WarOf1812] References

  • Richard Feltoe
    Message 1 of 5 , Nov 30, 2004
      Ibbo,
      While the RG8 series is duplicate copies of British Military Records that
      are held by the Public Records Office in Kew, the RG9 (Canadian Military
      Records) are derived from exclusively Canadian sources and in some cases are
      not even microfilmed yet. I have had the distinct pleasure of using the
      original documents on several visits to the archives and I can say without
      reservation that it really brings you close to history when you hold the
      actual piece of paper and see the penmanship, let alone read the words of an
      individual who is writing his response to events that sometimes happened
      only hours before. Microfilm may give a visual readable image, but nothing
      beats the real thing.

      That being said, however, I fully understand and uphold the need for
      conservation by duplicating these documents and using the reproductions as
      first line/general study tools, while the originals are preserved for
      special study needs

      As to American records, I'll leave that reference to someone who has better
      sourcing than I.

      Richard Feltoe