Re: Candian Militia Colors

  • giiir
    Message 1 of 8 , Nov 5, 2004
      The Battalion of
      > Incorporated Militia doesn't receive their Colours until I believe
      1815 or
      > 1816 (If I am wrong Mr Fishell or Feltoe will correct me).

      I will leave it to Mr Feltoe, a bona fide historical scholar, to set
      down the actual date when the colours were awarded. I know that the
      colours, presently at the War Museum, were presented complete with
      the "Niagara" battle honours only after the Batallion had been
      disbanded. They were painted, not embroidered colours, like the ones
      various Regiments of Foot sported.
      Yr Obdnt Sevant,

      Fred Fishell
    • peter monahan
      Message 2 of 8 , Nov 6, 2004
        Just a quick note: the Men-At_Arms Series title "The American War
        1812-1814" (Osprey)has a photograph of both the Battalion and King's
        colours of the "Quebec Militia" (p.38) Hope this is of some help.

        P Monahan
      • Richard Feltoe
        Message 3 of 8 , Nov 6, 2004
          Dear list,
          I don't have my files to hand, but if my memory does not play me false, I
          believe the regimental colours that were awarded to the Incorporated Militia
          finally arrived at York in 1821or 2. They were then officially presented to
          a representative detachment of the men of the old IMUC unit (that were
          subsequently serving in the York or Home Militia) and the colours were then
          laid up. I also think they were restored to service in the 1837-8 rebellion
          when the Volunteer Battalion of Incorporated Militia was reactivated as
          (three?) Battalions under the same terms of enlistment. There are also
          accounts of men of the old unit joining up for the rebellion units and being
          issued with the kit that had been handed by from the old unit at the end of
          the war in March 1815. The colours eventually ended up in the collection of
          the Canadian War Museum and as Fred stated,consist of the Kings and
          Regimental colours. Both colours carry a large central wreath incorporating
          roses, thistles, and shamrocks and the words INCORPORATED MILITIA UPPER
          CANADA , and NIAGARA painted on the silk. The Regimental Colour is Blue,
          which corresponds to the correct facing colour of the regiment after June
          1814.
          Hope this helps
          Richard Feltoe