RE: [WarOf1812] re: Esquire

  • Peter Catley
    Message 1 of 17 , Nov 2, 2004
      From: J.Bruce Whittaker [mailto:ortheris@...]
      Sent: 02 November 2004 16:17
      To: WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com
      Subject: [WarOf1812] re: Esquire

      Greetings,
      I found this regarding the use of "Esquire". Enjoy

      Now you might ask: what allows one to use this title? Is there a
      ceremony? Is it conferred by a university? Is it just some
      affectation that snob-nosed folks use? Can I be Joe Blow, Esq. just
      because I like the ring to it? Or do I need to get authorization, and
      if so from what? from where?

      Basically if you fancy it you can use it at least in the UK and I guess
      Ireland.

      Now of course in England there's this whole business about hereditary
      nobility and getting knighted and all that, so it might be a little
      risky to start calling yourself esquire there. But we're not in
      England. You can call yourself anything you want here ... although
      you do take the risk that you will be thought a snooty jerk. Since
      this has never bothered lawyers, they have gotten into the habit of
      calling each other esquire. This is a little like elected officials
      addressing each other as "honorable," which to me seems a classic
      case of advertising something after it's gone. But I digress.

      There is no social risk in Britain using the title esquire or esq. it is
      frequently used in written communications of a formal nature and certainly
      there is no formal requirement about it although it could be considered a
      miidle class profressional aspirant snobbish addition :-) Incidently there
      is no quivalent for women.

      So cheers

      Peter Catley esq.

      square miles...

      ---------------------------------
      Crown Forces Unit Listing:
      http://1812crownforces.tripod.com

      American Forces Unit Lisiting
      http://usforces1812.tripod.com

      Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

      <http://us.ard.yahoo.com/SIG=1294n2jc1/M=281955.5530326.6602771.3001176/D=gr
      oups/S=1705020536:HM/EXP=1099498631/A=2343726/R=0/SIG=12i0te6rv/*http://clk.
      atdmt.com/VON/go/yhxxxvon01900091von/direct/01/&time=1099412231004770>
      <http://us.ard.yahoo.com/SIG=1294n2jc1/M=281955.5530326.6602771.3001176/D=gr
      oups/S=1705020536:HM/EXP=1099498631/A=2343726/R=1/SIG=12i0te6rv/*http://clk.
      atdmt.com/VON/go/yhxxxvon01900091von/direct/01/&time=1099412231004770>

      Get unlimited calls to

      U.S./Canada

      <http://view.atdmt.com/VON/view/yhxxxvon01900091von/direct/01/&time=10994122
      31004770>